1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Stemo79

Stemo79 Well-Known Member

If you are wanting to remove layers of wax and dont have access to something like renomat then you can use nail polish remover, just dont rub too hard.

2. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Well-Known Member

Sorry, in your previous post you said, "I went after the boots with some Saphir Renovateur," which definitely qualifies as an additional product so maybe I'm not clear exactly what you are doing. If you don't want to try a bit of Renomat (not too much!) then I would just take @peppercorn78's advice, brush the hell out of them, and wear 'em.

Nice avatar, BTW, that's my alma mater.

3. nbj08

nbj08 Well-Known Member

When I first posted, I incorrectly thought of Renovateur as a cleaner. Now it seems quite obvious that, as a conditioner, I have in fact applied another 'product.' So, to revise, I haven't applied any additional polish or color. Lesson learned.

Thanks! I'm in my last year of professional school here, and I'm trying to enjoy every minute before I move away!

4. Munky

Munky Well-Known Member

This is something I have found useful. Before going out and after a good brushing, I put a minute bit of Renapur on the vamp of my shoes. I do this with a finger and make sure that it really is a minute bit. I do this about every third wear. it doesn't need brushing off. I find that it helps to prevent too much creasing and keeps the vamp supple. I think that Benhour does something similar but with Dubbin.

5. Fred G. Unn

Get the grad student basketball tix!

6. M635Guy

M635Guy Well-Known Member

Quote:Man Mur on Hillsboro St. in Raleigh (across from NCSCU) is a really solid cobbler. Consider taking it by them for some expert buffing/attention.

7. nbj08

nbj08 Well-Known Member

8. tharkun

tharkun Well-Known Member

I scored some Carmina dark brown suede double monk straps for $20 CAD. Sole is done for but the insole and uppers are really nice except for one small spot where the previous owner seems to have scraped across the back right of the shoe. The heel stack was scratched and the suede in one spot stays lighter than everything else. Is this anything anyone but me will notice anyway, given that the dark suede goes between darker and lighter coloration depending on how you brush it? Otherwise, what can I do to make it as dark asthe rest of the shoe again? The suede eraser did next to nothing (but I didn't rub too much for fear of making it worse).

[​IMG]

9. Fred G. Unn

That's most likely from driving. I have a few shoes where I have a mark at the back of the right heel too. I'm not sure there's much you can do, but I'd try a suede brush and see if you can raise the nap again on that spot.

10. chogall

chogall Well-Known Member

Don't know how you drive but usually only heel top lift is touching the ground, not the heel counters.

To fix coloring, use one of those suede color/conditioning sprays. Or use a brass brush try to raise the nap.

11. ClambakeSkate

ClambakeSkate Well-Known Member

Sorry, I don't venture into MC very often, but you all seem more technically knowledgeable about this type of stuff, so I'd thought I post this up here...

I have a pair of derbies (donkey leather) that I recently noticed it looks like the holes where the upper is attached to the welt have become enlarged and the there is a small tear in the leather there. Is this something that I should be concerned about? This is at the widest part of the shoe, about where my big toe is.
    [​IMG]

I'm pulling on the uppers to exaggerate the effect for the photo, but still...

Some things I was thinking:

1. Since the uppers are white, perhaps the dirt is more noticeable in the holes so it looks worse than it is. But the small tear still concerns me.

2. I wear these shoes quite hard. I oil them when they need it, but other than that they get brushed when they're dusty. I live near Venice (and spend half my day there) and am walking a couple miles a day on century old moist cobble stone and up and down stairs on all the little bridges. I wear these shoes maybe twice a week, they're my favorite shoes.

Alternatively, does anyone have a cobbler recommendation in Venice? The whole city is a maze and a tourist trap and I haven't had time to really search around to find someone I like, but there MUST be someone there.

Thanks!

12. kischi

kischi Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

This is the outcome of my attempt to darken the shoes. About 8-10 layers of Saphir cream and wax in brown and black. I think it went pretty well.

1 person likes this.
  13. M635Guy

I think that looks pretty darn good!

14. M635Guy

The east coast is a wet mess right now, so I'm taken a second swing at putting an old pair of beaters in rotation for rain until a better solution arrives in a week or so. Here's where I started:
    [​IMG]

They were so dried out that I've had a couple runs over the last couple weeks at them with Saphir Reno just to get them a little healthier. They were looking a little scruffy after a wear, so I went the next step with a couple coats of Saphir Creme (Pom) and a spritz of AE's waterproofing spray:
    [​IMG]

You won't mistake them for nice shoes, but on casual days when the weather sucks, I won't mind wearing these at all.

I still have some detail work to do in the broguing, and I'll get some of the Saphir Wax in cognac or medium brown and give it another layer, but it works for now. :)

Better side by side:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
  15. Fred G. Unn

I think it's a reasonably common issue, that's why actual "driving shoes" have rubber or the little rubber knobs back there.

[​IMG]

16. Munky

Munky Well-Known Member

As far as you know, do most people not lace boots right up to the top?

17. rbhan12

rbhan12 Well-Known Member

I'm wearing boots now and they're laced up to the top. Not sure about everyone else though.

18. M635Guy

I generally lace my boots to the top

19. cbfn

cbfn Well-Known Member

I prefer lacing up to the second last eyelet and then take a wrap around the ankle.

20. mw313

mw313 Well-Known Member

That is quit e impressive that you were able to improve them that much and that the leather used was even able to take the products. Good job.

1 person likes this.