1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. justinkapur

justinkapur Well-Known Member

I was gonna say I bought my stuff from onthefly.com because they had free shipping over $50 and any order over $50 they gave a free chamois cloth. I ordered from them twice and got my full collection of supplies but I need to get navy polish and some more reno.

they unfortunately dont have that deal anymore

2. chogall

chogall Well-Known Member

horsehair brush isn't that good for cleaning/dusting. boar bristle!

1 person likes this.
  3. XKxRome0ox

XKxRome0ox Well-Known Member

Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  4. Gdot

Gdot Well-Known Member

The creams are indeed the same.

The creme universal should be an acceptable substitute for renovateur - once you've used it up switch to the reno and report back here with your comparison! :D

5. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

Honestly I prefer Kiwi brushes over all of them. The bristles are much softer so brushing is more like "buffing". It doesn't interrupt the finish as much and if you have a good shine on the toe it won't dull it either.

Honestly, I think the only thing you need to start is renovateur, and wax polish. Use reno more than the wax, BOOM.

6. TheDarkKnight

TheDarkKnight Well-Known Member

I must say I've heard horror stories of using cream polish - that it can quite easily and permanently change the colour of your shoes.

Do you use GDot's regime but miss out the cream polish?

7. patrickBOOTH

I use my own regiment, I don't know, just reno and wax. I only wear black shoes so I don't really worry about color changing, or any of that. I don't know what you are reading but over time using a little bit of cream polish in different colors is very common and creates a nice patina. Even if you don't like it it is very easy to strip away with renomat.

8. SHS

SHS Well-Known Member

Where do you buy that?

9. XKxRome0ox

XKxRome0ox Well-Known Member

yeah that's what i was thinking and ordered it last night
    so i have the saphir waxes, polishes, and cleaner/conditioner coming from riderbootshop
    and allen edmonds brushes and daubers coming from AE
    i can't believe i'm looking forward to having another "chore" to do
    :slayer:

10. Gdot

Gdot Well-Known Member

Well.........it's generally not a risky thing.

If you apply black or navy blue cream polish to a light colored shoe that is very dry, or recently stripped, you might get some fairly permanent color blotches. But all in all - using creams in almost any color that is lighter than the shoe will have marginal impact and as long as it's over an already well conditioned shoe it can all be stripped away later.

I'm quite adventurous with the colored creams - I put green cream on my beechnut color shoes just last night. I'll probably do cognac next time, and perhaps a buff color the time after that.

There are SO many possible combinations that will work. Just think about the basics - condition, and wax are essential - pigment (cream) optional.

11. lysandar

lysandar Well-Known Member

How did the green on beechnut turn out? Or better yet - having experimented with different color polishes, what are your favorite mashups? I seem to recall a mention sometime back about Ethandesu working in blue onto a toecap of a pair of G&Gs (possibly Spoo's wigmores) and that turned out brilliant.

12. patrickBOOTH

I have used blue on my black shoes. It isn't noticeable for a very long time and you will only notice it on slightly overcast days when some harsh rays are filtered out. I'm serious.

13. patrickBOOTH

Don't some people (like the Japaense dude in the you tube video shining shoes quickly) make their own polishes? How would you even go about this?

14. lysandar

lysandar Well-Known Member

I do this too and find myself staring incessantly at my feet every time I'm in the sun. Also serious.

That aside, I have a couple pairs from edetal in brown and burgundy coming in, and I'm curious as to what might possible options be.

15. fritzl

fritzl Well-Known Member

what's that

16. Gdot

Gdot Well-Known Member

Green on beechnut worked out great. Added nice depth and color. I like green on medium to dark browns quite a bit.

I've used navy on dark brown shoes to good effect. Especially, as you mention, on the toes.

I've used a meltonion color called 'bark' on a my cherry red G&Gs as well as on the pin grain and it really brought out a lovely depth to the pin grain.

On a new pair of Carminas that are pebble grain and VERY light I've been adding meltonion red, cognac and bark in alternating coats - it's starting to turn into something richer than what I started with.

I've also made some mistakes - applying too many coats of cream and ending up with a heavy opaque look to the finish. But it can all be buffed out with Renovateur.

17. patrick_b

patrick_b Well-Known Member

Any chance of darkening the toe a bit on burgundy/color 8 shell PTB? I was thinking of trying a black wax I'm not sure it will do anything to shell as it's less porous that calf.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  18. Gdot

Gdot Well-Known Member

A few coats of black wax will probably work. As you know, just bringing up the shine makes a toe look darker already.

Not sure I'd personally try this one - as I like shell pretty much left alone - but you won't cause any harm - you can always buff it off later.

19. patrick_b

patrick_b Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info.