1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Well-Known Member

But since they're not nubs, but little pads, the sole will last longer... right?....

2. Chowkin

Chowkin Well-Known Member

It's not the nubs or the pads that get worn out quickly, but rather the little bit of leather at the front to the underside of your drivers. My friend learnt it the hard way when he wore his Tod'a out on concrete ground and they were destroyed within a couple of months

3. BostonHedonist

But tods have those tiny nubs. Surely the more robust sole pads, including a slightly curved one under the toe box, would enhance the durability of the SF drivers.

[​IMG]

Yes, I just don't think I can be talked out of this one. Guess I just need to decide on brown or blue.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2015
  4. chogall

chogall Well-Known Member

You will be fine. Blue might be too eye catching for some business meetings.

5. tharkun

tharkun Well-Known Member

I have one thing to share and one question.

Since buying my first AE a few weeks ago I have been reading that Mink oil is the worst you can do to them and that it will make them impossible to shine. The more you search online for how to shine the more you read this it seems. Yet, the shoe snob blog does use mink oil renovator. It took me forever to get some shine on my toe area and its not a mirror shine yet, but I can report that mink oil totally doesn't make it impossible, but apparently harder (or its because it's the first time I shine shoes in my life).

Now on to the question. I use Kiwi polish and I do have a nice shine on the toe. However, behind the toe area, where the shoe creases, I have a problem. The creases look like I have sand in them. I polish the shoe in the evening and in the morning, when I walk to the car the creases look like someone put sand in the creases. I have to brush the shoe with my horsehair brush and I might need to redo it at the office, when I arrive. Then its usually fine for the day.

Why? Can I get rid of that? I use neutral polish. I use cream polish from time to time for the pigments

6. chogall

Dont use wax polish on the creases. That's most likely from neutral polishes on your vamp cracking into bits.

7. BostonHedonist

My recent purchase now has me wondering, how does one care for a woven leather shoe? I imagine a cleaner/conditioner and a good brushing is about all one can do...

8. 1up

1up Well-Known Member

Yeah I wondered that too, was applying conditioner to a woven leather belt and it was getting stuck between all the nooks and crannies.

Are there any type of conditioner sprays out there?

9. JezeC

JezeC Well-Known Member

Just received a pair of shoes .Everything looks great except that the shoes are unbalanced.

Returning to the company is a pain as they're an international shoemaker.

1) Just how easy is this to fix?
    2) Is this a common problem? Shoes can be "slightly unbalanced right? I'm guessing this is more on the extreme case.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. sarteaga

sarteaga Well-Known Member

Lexol Conditioner is sold in a spray bottle.

11. kirbya

kirbya Well-Known Member

How many times have you worn the shoes? I'd be surprised if the problem didn't work itself out after a few wearings. I've had bespoke shoes come back like this. I've always prescribed this to the slight imperfection that is impossible to avoid with anything "handmade."

1 person likes this.
  12. JezeC

JezeC Well-Known Member

Some of my other shoes also have this problem, but the heel doesn't go that high. It's very subtle whereas this particular heel goes up by quite a bit compared to some of my other shoes.

I didn't wear it due to the risk of not being able to return the shoes. If this is a minor problem, I'll just wear these shoes. Glad to hear this is not a big deal - appreciate the feedback.

13. kirbya

kirbya Well-Known Member

My bespoke pair of Cleverly's torqued significantly. However, I feel that once you load the shoe with your body weight, that immediately disappears. I'm not sure if any of the other guys have opinions here... mine is certainly not scientific. But I certainly haven't felt this affect while wearing the ones mentioned.

14. wengxiah

wengxiah Active Member

[​IMG]
    For people who's interested in metal heel taps: yesterday I received a pair of shoes from Meermin with metal heel taps, I always assumed that the metal heel taps would make it very slippery from what I have read on sf, but I wear them today, walked on different kind of surface, including tiles, carpet and I don't find them any more slippery than regular rubber heel. I'm not sure if it would make difference if you use non flushed heel tap.
    Noise: yes, about the same amount of noise made by heels of women. Personally I'm fine with it, because when I bought my first pair of dress shoes, Paul smiths, they were as noisy as these

Last edited: Aug 10, 2015
  15. chogall

Very easy to fix, any cobbler can do it. Or just wear them.

Very typical for RTW shoes.

16. chogall

Interesting. It didnt happen to my numerous pairs from other makers.

17. Hotjock

Hotjock Well-Known Member

Need some help please. The leather sole on my C&J has broken off almighty at the toe - probably due to it getting wet and the way I walk. The stitching is now revealed slightly (hand grade). I wanted to put on flush metal toe taps, but been all over Budapest she repairers and no one can do such a job. To make them flush I understand they have to cut away the leather but does this not ruin the integrity of the shoe? i.e. Cutting away below the stitching level? Would like to do this on some of my other shoes GG and other C&J, but don't want to screw up the shoes. Grateful for any insights on this process and would be in London at Christmas time, so any places who could do this would be most welcome.

18. chogall

Vass have the option to install flushed metal toe taps for their brand news shoes. So I would imagine there's someone in Budapest that is capable of doing the same.

Maybe go ask Vass store for help since you are already at Budapest.

19. Nick V.

Nick V. Well-Known Member

If done properly it won't ruin the integrity of the shoe. If the sole is new the stitching is not disturbed at all. If the sole has been worn to far -or- in your case it sounds like it was damaged at the toe. A new leather tip is attached and stitched on. Then, the flush mounted toe plate is added.

1 person likes this.
  20. Hotjock

Hotjock Well-Known Member

I went to Vass the other day to order a couple of pairs of shoes. I saw Rezso and showed him the shoes but unfortunately they can't do it - not the same process as they use. He gave me contacts who may be able to do it, but unfortunately they can't. Probably have to wait until I go to London.