1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Munky

Munky Well-Known Member

We are all mad, here, Layered! [​IMG]

2. Layered Player

Layered Player Well-Known Member

Then I'll fit right in!

3. Munky

Munky Well-Known Member

Here in the UK, that is! [​IMG]

4. Layered Player

1 person likes this.
  5. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Well-Known Member

Thanks @mimo and @Munky

Fortunately I packed a travel size (only one shoebox) shoe care kit to keep with me these next two years. I'll use this as an excuse to up my polishing regimen a bit.

But I must say, I'm surprised at how many people I've seen wearing Converse Chuck Taylors. It's like the 1990's are back, in all their grungy, arch-support-lacking glory.

6. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

Yeah my kids love them. Actually, just the girls I think.

7. Rylsa

Rylsa Well-Known Member

Hey guys what do you think about using saphir products on black leather belts?

8. traverscao

traverscao Well-Known Member

It can risk staining light colored garment due to high dye content.

1 person likes this.
  9. Layered Player

90's pfft, I wore them as a kid in the 70's!

Christ, I'm becoming that old guy...next thing you know I'll be tellin all you young'uns to get off my lawn!

10. LPMIII

LPMIII Member

I had an old tan leather belt that was pretty badly beat up and dried out. Bick 4 worked great, absorbed nicely with no residue and didn't darken the color (not that that would matter in your case).

11. mrfixit

mrfixit Well-Known Member

i've used shoe creams on multiple belts in various colors. it works just as it does on shoes, wonderfully when needed. the first time, it did indeed rub off on my pants. since then, i use a cotton cloth to rub them down thoroughly after applying the cream in the evening, and again the next morning. i make sure there is no residue showing on the cloth anymore before wearing.

12. DrizztD

DrizztD Well-Known Member

I have a pair of EG's that is rather badly creased behind the captoes due to 2 reasons, improper fit (it's about a half size to a size too big) and lack of proper shoe tree. I bought i via B&S and i the shoe tree i had wasn't big enough.

I understand you can, over several cream and brush down applications, reduce the creases?

Do i just apply as per my usual routine (every 4 to 5 wears) or i should give more attention to the creases and polish that area a little more often till they're evened out?

Also, i probably should be getting inserts for my shoe right? Where's a good place to look?

13. LPMIII

LPMIII Member

I don't think you're going to reduce creases by cream and brushing. You may make them lessen temporarily, but it's not going to change the fit of the shoe and the creases should reappear once worn again.

You can try inserts to lay on top of the insole, but I've had better luck with tongue pads of heal grips.

14. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

Put some trees in, polish them and sell them. Then buy some in a smaller size and bigger width.

2 people like this.
  15. chogall

chogall Well-Known Member

Pictures would help tremendously.

A bigger shoe tree will alleviate some of the problems.

Creases won't go away with just cream and polish

Any off the shelf leather insole from your cobbler works. Don't need to spend $25 for Saphir insole, they aren't that different than $10 ones.

1 person likes this.
  16. Stemo79

Stemo79 Well-Known Member

Hello, I'm just wondering if anyone knows why my new shoes have discoloured on their first polish. The colour was even until I applied some wax polish and this darker "L" tone appeared. Im not unduly concerned as it looks like a burnish but I am interested why it occurred in one place and not others...?

[​IMG]

17. Zapasman

Zapasman Well-Known Member

It seems like you started to apply a colour wax (maybe a bit too much) in that area just before polishing. With time and some brushing/polish it will dissapear. Nice looking shoes.

18. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

There are ways to make creasing look much, much less noticeable, however as soon as your start walking again it will come right back. Just treat the area like you would the vamp of the shoe. Or like somebody else said, sell them and get your size.
    It could be that the topcoat was thinner there and took the wax differently.

1 person likes this.
  19. Stemo79

Stemo79 Well-Known Member

Thank you both :)

20. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Well-Known Member

I thought I might use a bit of darker polish to burnish the toe on these.

[​IMG]

For those who have done it, any suggestions? Pitfalls?