1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. chogall

chogall Well-Known Member

Actually, 8 hours of sleep with 16 hours of awake time is 960 minutes per day. 10 pack @ 20 cigarette per pack = 200 cigarettes.

That is 4.8 minutes per cigarette, which is about the same time it takes to smoke one cigarette casually.

Thus, if Travers' story is true, his rival must be literally smoking non-stop when he's awake with a cigarette on his hand always.

Or he smokes 2-4 cigarettes at a time.

Either way its down right ridiculous if not improbable.

2. traverscao

traverscao Well-Known Member

Did I stop anybody from chiming in? No. I just hate it when people stop others from talking.

A "conditioner" is a term coined only so far recently as 10 - 20 years back for either emulsified oil or raw oil products in treatment of leather for the purpose of lubricating and moisturizing the fibers. Before that, there are terms like creams, dressings, or simply oils.

Saying that leather will crack eventually will not make you sound anything right, even though you are not in the wrong. Leather quality change and vary from time frames to difference in tannage.

Regarding how conditioning is ineffective for certain individuals, I cannot give a general answer - Barnum's effect is bullshit and unhelpful.

Moreover, saying that once the leather leaves tannery the clock is set is as bollocks as Barnum's effect.

3. traverscao

He was always seen with a cig on his fingers. Dude would slam anybody who doesn't smoke, and slam harder on anybody who convince others not to smoke.

So much for an effort.

4. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

The flights of nonsense in this thread become ever more bizarre. Put some of those oily shoes on and leave the damn house sometimes...

5. traverscao

Nope. They gotta be let absorbed and thoroughly brushed. LOL!!

6. jaywhyy

jaywhyy Well-Known Member

Sometimes I wish some wealthy dude would run an RCT and a cohort study to see whether gemming failure is indeed a problem, or if conditioners/polish protect against cracking.

Then I realize some of you would still find someway to bitch against the results.

1 person likes this.
  7. DWFII

DWFII Well-Known Member

It doesn't make a difference whether gemming failure is a problem or not...the fundamental, undeniable fact is that given other alternatives and all else being equal, gemming is a deliberate and cynical attempt to fool people into believing that they are getting something they are not and a deliberate and knowing exercise in cheapening a product in order to increase profit margins.

If a person doesn't care about that, there can be no significant reason to buy shoes costing more than $100.00...aside from the glitter, posturing and pretext.

As for plastic or rubber vs leather, synthetics will wear / last longer than leather--both on the foot and in the landfill. Leather is an environmentally renewable, preserved product that is meant to wear out and be replaced...with an environmentally renewable product. Trying to preserve an already preserved product, at the expense of comfort, health, and the health of those creatures that share the bounty of the earth with us, is, almost by definition, insane. It is compounding wrong-headedness on wrong-headedness. It is fouling our own nests and a mental self-mutilation--a deliberate and willful choosing of ignorance.

Given that leather is a preserved product, beyond a certain point, conditioners, in general, become nothing more than a PR and marketing gimmick to pick pockets. Grease on grease on grease is tantamount to doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different result each time...and that is the definition of insanity.

IMO...

edited for punctuation and clarity

Last edited: Apr 29, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  8. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

Sorry, but I want to take credit for the shitstorm.

1 person likes this.
  9. traverscao

You got it Pat.

It comes with a label that saids "Reno conditions the leather so well, I can have an orgy seeing that!" as well LOL!!!

10. roronoa

roronoa New Member

11. patrickBOOTH

Those are totally serviceable.

1 person likes this.
  12. Munky

Munky Well-Known Member

It's good to see you back, Patrick. I was beginning to get worried about you!

13. patrickBOOTH

What, because I didn't post for two days?

14. chogall

chogall Well-Known Member

Shoe poisoning from licking too much soles.

15. Yellowevo84

Yellowevo84 Well-Known Member

2 people like this.
  16. mw313

mw313 Well-Known Member

17. Josh Savage

Josh Savage Well-Known Member

I've been using a shining method by shoe snob on YouTube. It involves cleaning, leather lotion/conditioner, pollish, then 4 subsequent water/pollish shinings. Is this a good method or are some saying that the conditioner/lotion is a waste of money/time?

18. Jurgis

Jurgis Well-Known Member

I would consider those very wearable, too. If you are asking if there is any way to get the toe creases to disappear, then no, there is not. You may be able to smooth them out a bit by conditioning, then putting in shoe trees, but I suspect the former owner used trees too, by the way the uppers taper toward the heel. Most non-shell shoes will have some toe creases after only a few wearings, and as long as the leather isn't cracking or splitting, it's okay. I'd be tempted by those myself, if they were my size and brown.

1 person likes this.
  19. Itsuo

Itsuo Well-Known Member

I don't think there is necessarily anything wrong with it. I wouldn't do the entire routine every time you care for your shoes. For example, "cleaning" with a brush can be done every time you wear them. As for the other steps, it completely depends how much you wear them and how you want them to look. But I would say generally speaking of the three, condition less often and wax more often and polish somewhere in between. As needed.

1 person likes this.
  20. mw313

mw313 Well-Known Member

this is a great method for the once in a while routine. It is very thorough and keeps great care of the shoes.

For normal use, brush them overtime.
    For every few, you can add either conditioner or polish as needed to keep it moisturized and with enough pigment in them.
    Use the wax if you want to keep a mirror shine. If you don't need the mirror, then just do it every once in a great while for added protective qualities.

1 person likes this.