1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. rjonea

rjonea Well-Known Member

Just started getting into actually taking care of my shoes and I am on a tight budget so I will need to work frugally for now.

Can I use alcohol on shell to clean? If so, I plan on using alcohol to clean my shoes once up front. Well really just the two pair I have recently thrifted. One pair is shell (AE MacNeils being re-crafted now) and the other is calf (Florsheims posted a few posts back).

Going to pick up some lexol conditioner for the maintence. Would like to try Bick4 and Renovator at some point down the road, but only one choice for now.

I have neutral wax, but don't plan on using it often if ever.

Have brushes on hand already and buffing cloths coming soon.

Good starting point?

2. mw313

mw313 Well-Known Member

haha and thanks. Well I have a collection of some well made shoes so I figure that as long as I keep care of them in the way that I do, they will be fine. Not to mention that I keep getting more each year! haha.

I've moved on to another closet by now!

3. clee1982

clee1982 Well-Known Member

I see plenty of people over care shoes on styleforum. I have high quality shoe by reasonable standard (EG/GG/CJ Handgrade) I never had leather cracking issue for 8yrs now. You can have two best bespoke hand welt shoe, I doubt in the end they will last longer than 40 pairs of AE on discount (price works about same?) with topy... Sad I suppose

4. mw313

mw313 Well-Known Member

In the end, it depends on how many pairs of shoes you have, how often you wear them, and how you take care of them.

I can go a few months before wearing a shoe a 2nd time if I want, so polishing and conditioning them after 5 -10 wears is good for me. I keep them coated between storage so they stay in better condition. I'm a bit of a fanatic but I want them to last for 60 plus years if possible.

If you take care of them they will last longer as long as they are made well.

I even acquired a few pairs from the 60s and 70s and they are still in phenomenal condition. They were stored in shoe bags and obviously were conditioned before storage because they still weren't dried out.

5. mw313

mw313 Well-Known Member

the important part is that we occasionally condition and polish the shoes. The time between care depends on wear as well as the person who owns them and how much of a fanatic they are. Most of us are excessive, but we are guys on StyleForum!

6. traverscao

traverscao Well-Known Member

No, you don't have to agree, but at least this attitude is way better than some individuals who preferred shit storms. Experiences means qualitative data, or any data that are "measured" by quality, which tends to fall into bias. Therefore, I can give you this one as "experiences may vary".

It's absurd the way you put it, but then again, I can only say that it depends. Likewise, there were bespoke shoes from 19th century that lasted until this day, as we are talking, therefore, I might as well counter-argue your statement.

7. traverscao

They can last as long as you wanted, if you treat them right. It wasn't like shoes and boots hadn't lasted through history - there were combat boots that lasted throughout the Second World War easily. I don't see why your goals are fanatic or ambitious.

8. Petepan

Petepan Well-Known Member

You talk too much. Give us all a rest please.

1 person likes this.
  9. traverscao

You sounded like a psychopath. You can't even ignore, FWIW. Just because you talk less does not mean others cannot say more.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
  10. chogall

chogall Well-Known Member

There are paper from 150AD according to Guinness World Records. Therefore, you could also argue that paper is more durable than plastic.

Confirmation bias & survivorship bias are the basis and rationale of your argument.

Oh hey, oldest smoker is age 122 so smoking might not cause with cancer!

11. traverscao

I'd agree with you on some aspects there. I strive too much for qualitative data, and perhaps that is "the fault of 'my' star" (I don't give half a fuck for the actual show, it was just pun and fun intended).

I will write a counter argument in your favor for the paper record as well:

Likewise, one may say, it depends on the materials that made up the paper, the quality assessment before the paper left its producers, and how it was stored, that would determine how long it last, or was argued to have lasted longer than plastic.

However, regarding smoker, sorry, right in front of my eyes, my high school rival died out of lung cancer from 10 packs of cig a day. So, sorry, the oldest smoker might as well was lucky.

12. clee1982

clee1982 Well-Known Member

All I will say is I love nice shoes just like everyone else on the forum. I just don't pretend it actually make economical sense or I can get my life worth of shoe with 2 to rotate even if it's the best bespoke the world has to offer.

13. chogall

http://news.discovery.com/history/archaeology/oldest-shoe-moccasin.htm

Actually theres 5000 year old leather shoes for your survivorship bias

14. traverscao

15. chogall

Not sure if you are talking out of your ass or trolling, but 10 packs of cigarette (that's one carton btw) a day is ridiculous and suicidal. That is akin to drinking 10 gallons of water per day, which is equally as suicidal.

FYI, 2 packs a day is considered heavy chain smoker...

Seems like your heavily conditioned leather IS over conditioning by the standard you set in this example.

16. striker

striker Well-Known Member

Assuming he slept 8 hours a day, that's about 1 cigarette every 10mins, without a break. I dun know which high school would allow smoking in class but based on the credibility of the arguments put out here it is certainly not impossible that such a high school would exist.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  17. traverscao

Dunno how smoking is suddenly related to shoe care (LOL!). There are folks who smoke like tomorrow isn't going to happen, using the fucking excuse known as YOLO.

No, smoking cannot be compared to heavily conditioned uppers. Never. It's a stupid comparison.

18. traverscao

He went to class with blackened eye, a shitty attitude, and his record showed numerous arrest, including theft, arson, assault, and warning against loud noise in the neighborhood.

19. striker

striker Well-Known Member

Based on his alleged smoking habits, i can see how he was so easily caught for all those crimes. Must have been trying to light a cigarette while running from the cops.

1 person likes this.
  20. MonotovsOpera

MonotovsOpera Well-Known Member

Alright, let's all give it a rest for a little while.

FWIW, simply because a few pairs "survived WWII" (who knows what that even entails? Were they worn for the last couple of months? Worn only in support duty? Who knows) does not mean that leather is automatically extremely durable, especially if they have not been worn in years. They could crack the moment they're worn, who knows.

Leather is highly durable, but singular examples do not a trend make, and all leather will crack eventually. A while back there was a conversation on whether conditioning actually had any use at all, and whether the lifespan of leather is essentially set once it comes out of the tannery.

You cannot draw sweeping conclusions from a case study.

Anyway, I digress. Let's keep it calm, cool, and polite, and give everyone a chance to chime in.