1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Layered Player

Layered Player Well-Known Member

1 person likes this.
  2. traverscao

traverscao Well-Known Member

Wish you successes in parenting, dear sir.

1 person likes this.
  3. Layered Player

4. Munky

Munky Well-Known Member

Layered, in my experience, the kids are mostly OK once they reach 35. Or so. [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  5. Layered Player

I believe you're right, it took me about that long!

John Mellencamp said that most men weren't worth a damn until they were 40 or their fathers died, whichever came first.

Interesting take.

Now enough about parenting and more about SHOES!!

6. wurger

wurger Well-Known Member

@traverscao, rubber soles will last longer than any leather soles, but leather soles have other merits that has been discussed before.

I do think that you are over the top with shoe care. Like Mimo said, lots of brushing, and little bit of conditioning and polishing when needed.

7. rjonea

rjonea Well-Known Member

Just picked up these Florsheim Imperials. 5 nail v-cleats.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

....but are these cracks, in the middle of the arch, bad?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. traverscao

I don't make you go my way. I once said before, and I will say again, my influence is to you should remain as influence, but whatever the heck you do to your shoes should be your responsibility, not mine.

Leather soles last longer, how? With care and maintenance, and with the right grade, layer, tannage, and the right use - you can step your soles over a paddle of water, step on some hot summer road, but that is at least less harmful than cooking the sole next to a fireplace.

Lots of brushing is a must, however, depends on the frequency of wearing, my way would be more conditioner. It isn't like you need it, it is the leather that needs the conditioner. Likewise, it will be YOU who need the shoes to last, or not.

I don't think I am over the top. Some are doing things crazier than I am, and somehow, you folks refuse to point to them for reference. There are those who wear their shoes once per week and are already babying them, and then there are those like me who wear their shoes for a whole month without anything more than regular dusting and brushing - that is when many coats of conditioners, thoroughly rubbed in, takes place.

9. traverscao

Just the strip of welt when they stitched it on and remains there for ease of disassemble when the shoes are going for a recraft.

1 person likes this.
  10. chogall

chogall Well-Known Member

More a decade ago before my life on SF, I was inexperienced but excited about all the new toys I had - horsehair brushes, kiwi polishes, Saphir Renovateur, Lexol Conditioner, etc. So I did shine shoes on a weekly basis. Mirror shining every fucking thing out there cos it was so kewl. Smear Renovateur on all leather items around the house cos it make things shiny and look good.

Back then, there were no "shoe shine sundays", "presidential shoe shines", or use of the word "regimen" to describe shoe shining...

And I realized all there's needed is just brushing and very occasional shoe shining/conditioning/regimen/whatever-u-call-that-shit on a semi-annual basis. Or shoe cream as needed when leather is lightly scratched.

p.s., if you think about heavily conditioning your shoes, you are over conditioning it.

3 people like this.
  11. traverscao

Do you even understand how to properly doing the conditioning step? If I put a good coat on the leather and rubbed in very carefully, until there is no traces of it left but a slight foggy surface, then that is still much, much more effective than a light coat of what-have-you sitting on the surface. Moreover, it isn't like I'm forcing you, it's my mere influence. Gosh, do I have to put that into my signature line and make it catchy?

Do you even know how use a conditioner? Really, because, apart from Reno, a mere product out of a brand's name, not quality, every other conditioner, raw oils or emulsified, require extensive rubbing in terms of applications in order to get it right. And then, there are those who walk their shoes once per week, of which, maintenance isn't even necessary, and there are those, like me, who put extensive use on my shoes, and have to face some of the most fucked up weather in the whole United States.

12. traverscao

In addition, I don't even do mirror shines anymore. I don't have the personal reference for it. I prefer a natural shine with a flexible finish. Matter of fact, if the finish of a mirror shine remains intact, you don't polish it any further, you just wipe it with a dampened cloth, wait for it to dry, then swirl around with your shine cloth.

13. DWFII

DWFII Well-Known Member

First photo looks like a splice in the welt which has shrunk open a little. Second photo looks like a crack in the welt...not a major problem, but perhaps indicative of a little dryness.

2 people like this.
  14. jaywhyy

jaywhyy Well-Known Member

Not a single drop of conditioner, wax, polish has touched a pair of G&G loafers since I bought them a 1.5 years ago. I wear them probably twice a week. Contrary to popular belief, my shoes have not exploded.

15. rjonea

rjonea Well-Known Member

Thanks for the help.

Next question: these shoes had some insoles glued in and I want to get them out. I pulled out the most I could but there is still a piece, I guess where the brunt of the glue was, still on the heel in both shoes. I am using plastic spoons to scrape off everything I can but don't think it's going to work too much longer. Can I use acetone on the insoles? Bad idea? Alcohol? Do I need to condition the insoles afterwards if I go either of those routes? I am thinking they are leather(?) also so I don't want them cracking from being dried out?

16. DWFII

DWFII Well-Known Member

I don't think the acetone will solve the neoprene cement...if that's what it is. What kind of insole is it? leather, or foam/neoprene? Either way, in the absence of a true solvent for the All Purpose cement, use a metal spoon to scrape out the remnant and then some coarse sandpaper to remove the residue of the cement.

Then condition--preferably with something like Lexol-nf. Use the same on the welt to revive it.

edited for punctuation and clarity

17. rjonea

rjonea Well-Known Member

It is/was Foam/neoprene and it literally only had the glue on the heel. Which was why I was hoping who ever did it, didn't do it well. Sand paper did cross my mind, wasnt sure how the insoles would take that though.

Might try to find some kind of shoe hut near by and take them there to see if they have a real solvent.

Would Bick4 work in place of the lexol?

18. DWFII

DWFII Well-Known Member

As long as you don't go crazy on the insole the sandpaper won't hurt it. We often scrape or sand insoles when making shoes or boots. Additionally, wooden pegs are driven such that they slightly penetrate the last and the points must be floated or sanded off, as well.

Bick4 would work but maybe better reserved for uppers. The bark tannage of the insole will probably absorb and hold the Lexol-nf better. The neatsfoot will tend to loosen any residual cement as well...although the cement can get a little gummy.

No harm no foul either way.

2 people like this.
  19. rjonea

rjonea Well-Known Member

Great insight. Thank you.

20. wurger

wurger Well-Known Member

Sorry, I just have to disagree with you on this one.