• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Not sure if this has been mentioned here before, but how do people re-attach insoles? Glue or something else?

Is it really an insole you're talking about...or a sockliner?

A photo would go down good right about now.

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Is it really an insole you're talking about...or a sockliner?

A photo would go down good right about now.

Thanks DWFII - you are correct of course; meant a sockliner. Any suggestions how to re-attach?

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Thanks DWFII - you are correct of course; meant a sockliner. Any suggestions how to re-attach?

Go down to the local shoe repair shop and buy a small tube of Barge, Apply it liberally on the bottom side of the sock liner...right out to the edge. Slide the sockliner in while the cement is still wet. Gently press into place, esp. on the leading edge. Allow to dry/cure overnight.

Good to go.

Last edited:

AlChI

Reaction score
When I re-polish my shoes, do I have to use a product to remove the previous layer of cream?
Thank you!

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
AlChl,
In a word, no. Don't use a product to remove the previous 'layer of cream', unless you really need to. And that is almost never. As a regular shoe-wearer, I can't imagine a situation in which I would have to use such a product. As you will find from reading through this thread, the point is to use very little cream or wax when you polish your shoes. And if it doubt, brush them rather than polish them.

Last edited:

AlChI

Reaction score
AlChl,
In a word, no. Don't use a product to remove the previous 'layer of cream', unless you really need to. And that is almost never. As a regular shoe-wearer, I can't imagine a situation in which I would have to use such a product. As you will find from reading through this thread, the point is to use very little cream or wax when you polish your shoes. And if it doubt, brush them rather than polish them.

Oh ok, it was just a little doubt that came to my mind, thank you for the answer
smile.gif

rostov

Reaction score
I bought a pair of nearly-beautiful AE Ridgeways. They have a beautiful Cognac Dublin Horween leather, sitting on top of what I find to be an ugly, bright, neon orange welt.

What are the thoughts on recoloring a welt? Should a cobbler be able to do this without a resole? I like the mini-lug half-sole on these and would like to avoid resoling.

Can I just use a dark edge-dressing (such as AE's dressing)? Should I use the Saphir dressing instead? Silly me, I tried to use shoe cream, but it wasn't nearly thick or dark enough and it simply dyed the stitching...

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I bought a pair of nearly-beautiful AE Ridgeways. They have a beautiful Cognac Dublin Horween leather, sitting on top of what I find to be an ugly, bright, neon orange welt.

What are the thoughts on recoloring a welt? Should a cobbler be able to do this without a resole? I like the mini-lug half-sole on these and would like to avoid resoling.

Can I just use a dark edge-dressing (such as AE's dressing)?  Should I use the Saphir dressing instead?  Silly me, I tried to use shoe cream, but it wasn't nearly thick or dark enough and it simply dyed the stitching...

Chances are there is some sort of finish on the welt. Shoe creams do have dye in them...along with wax...but it should have darkened the welt somewhat if it were not finished.

Now that you've waxed the welt with the cream it will be even harder to dye uniformly.

IMO the unfinished welt tells the world you have new shoes. It also is probably more appropriate to a shoe with a lug sole than a shoe that is "dressier."

The best advice (and the least hassle) is to avoid obsessing about it--it will get dark and dirty all by itself soon enough.

Last edited:

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Go down to the local shoe repair shop and buy a small tube of Barge, Apply it liberally on the bottom side of the sock liner...right out to the edge. Slide the sockliner in while the cement is still wet. Gently press into place, esp. on the leading edge. Allow to dry/cure overnight.

Good to go.

Terrific - many thanks DWFII!

sleepyinsanfran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does Obenauf's LP make leather expand or contract? What about boot oils?

I'm trying to figure out what to use for a pair of steerhide boots for wearing on an upcoming (part-vacation) trip to seattle. This pair is a perfect fit as of now, and I'm wondering if stuffing it with the aforementioned oily substances will change the fit much.

dbhdnhdbh

Reaction score

Good to go.

DW,

When I use Barge I always follow the instructions, apply it to both surfaces, usually two coats for leather and let it dry thoroughly before putting them together. I assumed this made for a stronger bond. Is the method suggested here specific to re-attaching a sock liner- where it would be the only way that would work? Or is it generally acceptable to put the items together while the Barge is still wet? Thanks

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

DW,

When I use Barge I always follow the instructions, apply it to both surfaces, usually two coats for leather and let it dry thoroughly before putting them together. I assumed this made for a stronger bond. Is the method suggested here specific to re-attaching a sock liner- where it would be the only way that would work? Or is it generally acceptable to put the items together while the Barge is still wet? Thanks

That's a very good question...good on you.

No, the instructions on the package are correct if you want the best bond. But for sockliners or heel pads where positioning the leather would be difficult down inside the shoe when the cement was at maximum tack, doing it wet is the best and most hassle free way..esp. if you put it on liberally and only on the sockliner, gently press it into place, and allow it 24 hours to cure.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For those, like me, who worry about turpentine: I got a jar of Loake's cream, today. In a controlled experiment ( n=1) it was found that it did not smell of turpentine. Loake's wax, did. This leads to - at least - two possible questions. One) Is it the case that Loake's cream really doesn't contain turpentine and 2) if it doesn't, what is in Loake's cream? These are compelling questions! I remain, as ever...

Last edited:

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does Naptha smell? This cream smells of nothing at all.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads