1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. pnewelljr

pnewelljr Well-Known Member

So I just got three new pairs of shoes, and I am wondering how I should protect them (all leather soles with partial rubber heals). I am considering going to B Nelson and having Dainite Heals and metal toe caps added. It would be $90 per pair, but maybe it is overkill? Not thrilled in spending that much.

One of the pairs I eventually want to get full Dainite soles for. I am wondering if I should not waste the money, and just wait until the current sole wears out? Would it be a waste to get the dainite heal and metal cap now, if I am just going to replace the whole sole sometime in the future?

2. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Well-Known Member

Get the toe taps if you want, but as it's $180 to convert leather to Dainite, I'd just go ahead and just wear 'em. When it's time for a resole, then convert to Dainite if that's what you want to do.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  3. othertravel

othertravel Well-Known Member

I got a pair of tetburys with a dainite sole and added toe caps on tops of the dainite. The toe caps are almost worn out!

Does anybody else add toe protectors to dainite soles?

4. DWFII

DWFII Well-Known Member

One can never protect one's shoes enough...

[​IMG]

5. DWFII

DWFII Well-Known Member

When your toe taps get scratched, simply put another pair of toe taps over the first pair.

:crackup:

6. pnewelljr

Well it is $150 if I take them in directly. How long will the leather sole last with caps? Are the Dainite heels not a good idea or worth it?

7. DWFII

DWFII Well-Known Member

I'm guessing you can get 6 years out of these bad boys without ever having to worry about resoling them...and if you add three side-by-side toe plates, medial and lateral joint plates, and multiple heel plates, you might get eight. And I think they're only $195.00!!!

That bottom layer might even be Danite.

[​IMG]

(Don't mind me...I'm just funning ...)

:D

--

1 person likes this.
  8. DWFII

DWFII Well-Known Member

deleted--duplicate

9. DRAGUI99

DRAGUI99 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

The boots, from L to R :

- Alden NST Boots, Cordovan #8
    - Alden Parajumper Boots, Cordovan #8
    - C&J Harlech, Cordovan
    - EG Shannon VIII, Dark Oak calf
    - Carmina Jumper Boots, Black calf

The first line, from L to R

- Carmina longwings, Cordovan
    - Carmina Split Toe, Cordovan
    - C&J Edgware, brown calf
    - EG Inverness, burgundy calf
    - Carmina Cap toe, black calf

10. pnewelljr

Think I am just worried if I have no cap at all that there will be irreparable damage when I go to resole them.

11. Churchill W

Churchill W Well-Known Member

Just make sure to keep an eye on it. It really depends on your rotation of shoes how long the leather soles will last. Some of us can go a whole month without wearing the same shoe twice.

12. Renault78law

Renault78law Well-Known Member

Just checking in to make one observation and one confession.

First, I'm finding it impossible to get a mirror shine with Saphir's clear polish. It's in a large tin that's probably 6 months old. It's still very soft and I have a feeling it'll work better when it's dried out. I'm confident it's not my technique -- I get an awesome, blinding shine with the Saphir black polish. Anyone know why?

Now the confession. Before buying Saphir, I had a tin of clear Kiwi polish that's probably 8 years old and which started to crumble. Inspired by the movie Taxi Driver, I lit it on fire to melt it down. After cooling, the wax is really hard. Resulted in a fantastic mirror shine. In the tin, the wax became pretty brittle, however, and it quickly started to crumble again. I put it away for a while in favor of Saphir, but with my problems above, I decided to melt down the Kiwi again and use it. Again, resulted in a fantastic shine.

I poked around the forum and was surprised to see that nobody had lit / melted down their polish before and posted results -- in fact, the consensus was that it would be a waste of time at minimum, and could ruin your shoes. I'm curious if anyone else has tried it and whether it worked for you. If you think I'm causing harm to the shoe, I'd like to hear why you think so.

Another observation -- Saphir stinks to high hell. I've been relegated to polishing in the garage, and I won't admit it considering how much I've spent on shoecare, but I'm pretty sure it's killing my eyes...

13. benhour

benhour Well-Known Member

i am not considering my self a guru of shoe polishing but i know some things, 99% from personal experience and i ll try to help you out!

yes black polish of saphir produce a mirror shine far easier than the neutral!!(i suspect that dye helps in solidification ) and generally the neutral MDO saphir is harder to produce a mirror shine even comparing it to the neutral pomadier wax of saphir !! it has very high concentration of solvents and dissolve the previous layers!! so i dont think your technique has a problem!!(i have solved the problem by blowing during the circular motion while i am mirror shining )

Now according to setting wax on fire!! if you use it for mirror shinning there is no problem at all!! other way you lose all the solvents and oils (no nourishing after burning)

14. Beach Bum

Beach Bum Well-Known Member

Not sure where I read it, but got the great idea of using a smooth, thin pillow case as final polishing cloth in the bulling process.

Found a perfect one that me or the wife won't miss, got a new pair of burgundy santoni via ebay on the way, and will have a shoe shine evening Wed watching my beloved Illini take on Iowa.

15. DWFII

DWFII Well-Known Member

Nylon stocking.

16. benhour

benhour Well-Known Member

this doesnt work for me !

17. mosy

mosy Well-Known Member

what's the best way to remove scoff marks from burnished leather (black)? also what's the best way to shine them in general?

18. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

It has to do with the solvents in the polish. My complaint for some time about Saphir wax is there's too much turp in it. Whenever I would buy a new tin of the stuff I would leave the lid off for a week or so to dry it up. Makes mirror shining easier.

I don't like the idea of lighting wax on fire. All you're doing is causing the solvents to burn. Wax that gets too hot can break down and not work as intended. Glen has a tutorial on how to melt it properly and such on his old leather shoe blog.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
  19. Shawl Lapel

Shawl Lapel Well-Known Member

20. pnewelljr

So I got some shoe trees from Jos A Bank and they seem to be leaving an imprint on the insole of my shoes. Is this normal? Also one of them scratched the back of the insole (heel) when I pulled it out. Am I doing something wrong?