1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Zapasman

Zapasman Well-Known Member

I agree...Horween leather...spanish top GYW manufacturer.... This company will have the shoes for inspection very soon. I will inform you with their insights. Thanks.

2. patrick_b

patrick_b Well-Known Member

Oh, that makes sense. In a perfect world, mine would've lightened equally but I've learned to live/enjoy it. The contrast is always more evident in images, especially because I boost the contrast a bit, making for a more dramatic image. In person, it's a bit less apparent.

Mine are <3 yrs old. Your will age well I'm sure.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
  3. gyasih

gyasih Well-Known Member

Hello Gents, hoping I can get some help here. I picked these up and they are great except for the cap. One boot you can see the grain, the other looks almost smooth. I have tried removing wax, so it looks like a lasting issue. Possible ideas to smooth out other boot since I cannot recreate the grain??

[​IMG]

4. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Well-Known Member

The 7 feet of snow outside my window have been making wearing proper shoes a memory as distant as sun-drenched fields of cut grass. It's wellies every day for me lately.

So as not to lead my employees to ponder whether Scott Nichol cashmere socks are adequate replacements for office footwear, can someone recommend a reasonably priced "office slipper," if such a thing exists...?

5. jerrybrowne

jerrybrowne Well-Known Member

Beligan shoes Mr. Casual. Very comfortable. Although depending on the office environment, the bowtie might raise eyebrows.

http://www.belgianshoes.com/menstyles.html

6. BostonHedonist

Oh indeed it would. I'd be shooting for something much more casual. Perhaps some unremarkable black loafers. I just feel as if most slip-ons really don't get along with thick winter socks.

7. Itsuo

Itsuo Well-Known Member

Repeat post.

8. Itsuo

Itsuo Well-Known Member

Something like this Quoddy Loboy?

I've had the Lodge Moc for a few years now for indoor use and the Blucher for the outdoors. I'm a big fan of their stuff but these days most of it is too casual for me. With these, the chunkier the socks, the better.

9. BostonHedonist

Excellent suggestion. And may I complement your Bill Murray gif avatar?

However, I learned at the checkout screen of a 4-6 week lead time, which puts me squarely in the beginning of springtime, and the return to normal Oxfords and boots. Oh woe is me. Guess I'll just bring my chelseas in and keep them in my credenza.

10. Munky

Munky Well-Known Member

Boston, rather than buying a new pair of shoes, why not take an old pair that you have and leave them at work. Put a clean pair of socks in your case, every day. On Friday, take the shoes home and give them a good seeing to.

1 person likes this.
  11. DWFII

DWFII Well-Known Member

When you say you "picked these up," it makes me think you were thrifting when you bought them. They definitely fit into the category of seconds. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

It looks like...if nothing else...that the vamps were cut from two different and non-matching sections of the hide. At worst, from two different hides.

Since shoes like this are undoubtedly machine lasted, and since the machines have a limited stroke, both vamps were pulled almost precisely the same amount. Yet lasting the toe on the one pulled the texture completely out where it did not on the other.

What does that tell us? It tells us that the vamp on the right shoe is cut from far better quality leather than the vamp on the left. The vamp on the left may even come from belly.

But there's another problem--from the photo above it looks like the shoes are two different colours. Some of that may be simply from the flattening of the leather but it also could be that the vamps came from two different hides from two different dye lots. Manufacturers often click the pieces for a whole run of shoes before they ever start putting them together (and they cut for maximum yield not maximum quality). So a two foot stack of clicked vamps may not necessarily be paired correctly.

I don't know of anything you can do to remedy this problem without making it worse--abrading the leather and/or creating unsightly pipes and wrinkles of excess leather. Since I'm the only one answering, there may not be a solution. But seek a second opinion...or return them if you can.

Don't shoot the messenger.

--edited for spelling and punctuation

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
  12. cchaplow

cchaplow Active Member

My first attempt at trying to get a nice shine on the toe box. About 20 coats of saphir wax polish with a damp cloth. I used a soft cloth to polish instead of a brush since the brush was leaving brush lines.

[​IMG]

13. DWFII

DWFII Well-Known Member

Apropos of nothing...it is also a well known fact that shell, if not cut with care and a certain mindfulness--a "vision" of the final result--will reflect light differently depending on how it is aligned on the shell. Thus the difference in colour between the left and right vamps in the photo.

14. cbfn

cbfn Well-Known Member

The colour difference between the pieces is actually something I like even though it shows less carefulness.

1 person likes this.
  15. DWFII

DWFII Well-Known Member

Horses for courses...I wouldn't be a bit surprised if it is a deliberate choice for some.

I just place a high value on aesthetic harmony and to my eye it just looks confused and hodge-podge. Motley, even patchwork, with the emphasis on "work.".

16. gyasih

gyasih Well-Known Member

I never shoot the messenger, it's always about the message.

I didn't thrift them, but they were a GMTO and handwelted, I purchased sight unseen.

Thank you.

17. Beach Bum

Beach Bum Well-Known Member

I like the boots. 20 coats of polish?!? My guess is you didn't get much benefit or see a difference at all after like 2-3 coats? Maybe over time as the patina forms they'll get to a shinier state. Not that those aren't shiny, just seem more like a several coat shine than what we see on these parts from time to time.

18. cchaplow

cchaplow Active Member

Well, I finished off my bottle of Blanton's while polishing so maybe I lost count. I thought that I noticed slight increases in shine as I went but was in a not well lit room and the bourbon may have played its part also. I think you maybe correct that I did not see much difference after the first few but it was fun trying. The boots are only about a week old so hopefully as I go they will patina and shine nicely. I agree, it is not the shine I would expect after 20 coats. However, this was my first time. I have no idea if I used too much water, wax, bad technique or if I just need to give them more time.

19. DWFII

DWFII Well-Known Member

If they were handwelted...the chances are pretty good (not certain) that they may have been hand lasted as well. Which makes no difference to the conclusions I drew nor the implications for fixing the problem. But it does kind of make me raise my eyebrow a bit higher...and in somewhat more dismay.

IOW, all the more reason it shouldn't have happened.

20. gyasih

gyasih Well-Known Member

I agree 100%