1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. JSlice26

JSlice26 Member

Thanks, I will definitely grab a brush and cloth.

I'm not sure the vinegar would win me any favors in an open office environment though, lol

2. traverscao

traverscao Well-Known Member

Oh well, save it for home then.

A rag should be dampened before removing salts and impurities. Don't try to rub the rag dry on the surface. It won't remove much, and will leave a lot of lints behind.

3. JSlice26

JSlice26 Member

Yea, I look forward to hearing about it for home use.

Thanks for the info!

4. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

I would never accept new shoes like that and wouldn't be up for a repair either. To patch a vamp costs probably what you paid for them. I have heard people having good experiences with Herring Shoes so I think they will take care of you.

Saphir makes a salt removal product, I forget the name, but the issue with salt water is it is very alkaline so it makes the leather spew out the tanning agents and fatliquor. Using vinegar on salt stains helps lower the pH to acidic, which is where leather likes to be. After that conditioning with a product would be recommended because they leather starts to turn to rawhide at that point. You can see where salt stains can actually disfigure leather, this is what's happening. Best case for winter is wearing dedicated shoes, or boots that are earmarked for a beating.

5. thefastlife

thefastlife Well-Known Member

patrickBOOTH care to weigh in? Anyone else?

[​IMG]

6. patrickBOOTH

Well, first of all I wouldn't get a half sole unless the shoe had a pegged waist so that is your first mistake. Second, I would never wear a topy, so that's strike 2. Also, I would never want that ugly rubber heel, strike 3. What else can be said? Just wear them and ignore the bottoms? If you don't like this kind of work either send them to B.Nelson, or back to the factory for resoling.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2015
  7. phototristan

phototristan Well-Known Member

What are the best products to use on the inside leather lining of a shoe? How about on the leather sole?

8. thefastlife

ooof, lol.

well, i wanted a half sole b/c i want them to handle weather and they are work inspired, casual boots. the heel came from factory like that.

i was more commenting about the work.

9. patrickBOOTH

I don't do anything to the sole, anything that makes leather softer, will wear faster with abrasion (you know, like walking on the ground). Linings could use some vinegar when the begin to smell ammonia-like (this is the leather's fibers being shifted alkaline after the sweat beings to ferment) then you can apply Lexol, or another non-wax, or solvent based conditioner.

1 person likes this.
  10. patrickBOOTH

It looks fine for what it is, but what do I know? "I'm a businessman, Jim, not a cobbler." In the future if you are picky, you can't be stingy. Sorry, pal.

2 people like this.
  11. patrickBOOTH

The smell goes away unless you're dowsing yourself in it each day before going to work.

12. DWFII

DWFII Well-Known Member

I know "topy" is used generically here, but Topy and other products intended for the same application and use are typically 1.5 - 2mm thick. This looks like it's about 5 mm thick. Much of the problem there...and the potential problems...are related to that.

13. thefastlife

i am confused. this isn't a Topy. this is a Vibram half sole. one that is often used on boots, specifically the Wolverine 1k Mile as shown here.

14. sleepyinsanfran

sleepyinsanfran Well-Known Member

Lexol (used sparingly) works great for the inner lining- it conditions and has fungicidal properties.

15. patrickBOOTH

Does it have fungicidal properties?

16. sleepyinsanfran

yes

17. sleepyinsanfran

jojoba oil is another alternative for the inner linings (and better as a natural fungicide), but it migrates more, and is more expensive (unless you you buy imitation/synthesized jojoba oils which are cheaper, and kinda smell like lexol actually)

18. patrickBOOTH

What's your source?

19. patrickBOOTH

Or coconut, which isn't as thick, which is good for linings. Any heavy oil you risk making the lining somewhat occlusive, which is kind of counter productive to using a leather lining to begin with.

20. DWFII

DWFII Well-Known Member

My apologies...several people have seemed to be referring to it as topy when responding to you. I know it's not Topy (or a "sole protector" of any kind).

Aand that's part of the problem--the worst aspect about the job is that if you add substance to the bottom of a shoe it needs to be added all across the bottom of the shoe. If you add 5mm under the ball you need to add 5mm under the heel...to retain the balance that the original shoe inherited from the last.

Some cobblers topy a shoe without concerning themselves with such niceties but at least in theory even topied shoes should have an equivalent amount added to the heel stack.