1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. traverscao

traverscao Well-Known Member

Alden shells were heavily coated with some sort of bullshit coating. Notice how it gets scuff horribly and takes forever to buff out. It's like they dumped some kind of cosmetic product on the poor piece.

2. Beach Bum

Beach Bum Well-Known Member

Based on what I see above I'd be worried about pee spraying on my Cordovan if I owned a pair. I'll have to reconsider buying a pair in the future.

3. Odd I/O

Odd I/O Well-Known Member

St Crispin's right? Have you tried sending them that picture to see if there's anything they can do?

I remember when you abandoned calf shoes as they were all cracking in favour of shell, are you still sticking with shell or will you be moving on to another leather type?

4. traverscao

Well, if you are worried of cosmetic defects, then don't. Otherwise, shell will stand.

5. PCK1

PCK1 Well-Known Member

I agree with PB...Shell sucks.

It is fickle and a pain in the ass to deal with.

Calf is much better in every regard.

6. traverscao

@patrickBOOTH perhaps if shell doesn't work out, you can either go back to smooth calf, or go further to reversed waxed calf and see how that goes.

7. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Well-Known Member

A shell whole cut shoe makes no sense. Isn't a wholecut a formal shoe?

8. traverscao

Shell can shine as bright as mirror, with high fiber density and a smooth surface, making the footwear just as formal as patent leather, but with a deeper glow and depth, because many patent leathers nowadays are CG with just surface shine.

That said, shell, however, is prone to cosmetic defects.

9. chogall

chogall Well-Known Member

Right, because water and moisture are exactly the same thing. Grocery store is not steam sauna.

10. chogall

No.

11. traverscao

chogall you have to take the account of water produce moisture into account. If Pat's shoes were to be in a sauna the shine would have gone, and his foot would have been in deep shit.

@patrickBOOTH was the grocery store very damp? Were there water turrets around the area where you were standing?

12. chogall

I don't know which part of the world you are from, but in California, grocery stores don't use commercial lawn sprinkler or turrets to spray water all over the place. They drop mist instead, and those are nowhere close to the intensity of showering/raining.

Only on Styleforum the biggest destroyer of Shell is water guns.

My #menswear certified #thrifted #Florsheim #cordovan #LWB survived all of the above without any problem.

No its not water spots or moistures.

13. traverscao

Mist dropping, even when highly concentrated, can form water droplets on shoes, and in the case of shell cordovan, prolong contact with water promise cosmetic defects.

Natural finished shells like ones from St. Crispin's will prone to be attacked by water, even mist. They were finished with wax polish.

Those Florsheim shells, were they finished with wax or with special coatings?

I'm living in Lynnwood, WA, and I'm cursing the rain every single day.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2014
  14. benhour

benhour Well-Known Member

yes it is! here is an old photo about formality of shoe designs!! now days wholecut is considered more formal than the cap toe oxford!(formality is based on the decorations of the pair(brogue-stitching etc) the less decoration the more formal it is![​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  15. traverscao

According to this, then, I'd wear a highly polished wholecut with tux and I'll be the dandiest dandy in town! No wonder why wholecut in shell was highly prized.

Thanks for dug this up, Ben! Looks awesome!

16. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

You need to work on your reading comprehension. They don't get damaged by water, they just look ugly after water touches them leading to a lot of time to make them look nice again,

Why email St. Crispin's? I know how to fix it myself. It's not a defect, or damage, just the nature of shell. Actually Philip said his finishing person was praising all the pairs of Crispin's I have sent back for resoles for how well I take care of them. He said it is very rare this person is impressed with shoe care.

I was anti calf for a while because, well, every pair of calf leather shoes I have ever owned ending up cracking in the vamps. Shell resists this much better but the downside is it's a pain in the ass to keep looking decent. IMO, shell not cracking is not worth both a)the upcharge and b)the upkeep

Truth.

It's true, but in my experience calf doesn't last long. :Shrug: I am just going to try to keep accumulating shoes to a point where it doesn't matter and the old cracked ones will get retired to rain shoes until they are too homeless looking and them just keep adding to the rotation.

Do you live in 1920? A shell whole cut is pretty damn sleek and unique. It fits my style perfectly.

No I just grabbed some scallions threw them in my basket. It's not a matter of produce vs. other types of moisture IT HAPPENS WITH ANY WATER DROPLETS!!!!

17. Kahuna75

18. patrickBOOTH

I think the way shell creases is what makes it all kinds of awesome for a whole cut. The whole cut is the raw denim of shoes. A blank canvas for all things to make it something new.

1 person likes this.
  19. Kahuna75

20. patrickBOOTH

You people are so thick. Yes, it's a dress shoe. I feel that the only reason why shell has been deemed casual is because before fairly recently in history the only shoes made from it were business casual, or boots. That's not the case anymore. Also to ruin your day I happen to be wearing black captor oxfords in shell right now.

1 person likes this.