1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

Being awarded a gold medal by who? Who are these people awarding gold medals! :SeinfeldVoice:

[​IMG]

2. DWFII

DWFII Well-Known Member

FWIW...I don't know the details behind the MDO designation, but in the 19th century (and perhaps into the early 20th) International Expositions were held to display and highlight the Trades and their practitioners as well as emerging technology.

The original John Lobb won a Gold Medal at one of these. Gold Medal Flour won a gold medal at an Expo.

Sometimes these expositions and the recognition given to a product or a craftsman were the defining moment in the history of the firm, and they often appended "Gold Medal" to their product names.

According to Dobbs, "The Last Shall Be First," John Lobb was pretty much unknown...maybe even itinerant, IIRC... until he won.

--

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
    2 people like this.
  3. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Well-Known Member

Sorry, this is the only one I have at the moment. A month ago I took pics of my whole shoe rotation since I had bought and sold so many in the past year or so. (Pics here, if anyone cares.) The Wicklow is the boot in the middle below. It's obviously a boot that's not intended to be babied, but I would like to clean it up and condition it a bit. I'm just not sure exactly what to use with "robust oiled-hide leather," as C&J puts it.

[​IMG]

4. traverscao

traverscao Well-Known Member

Hahaha!! Thanks Ben!

5. traverscao

I bet Avel of France probably joined one of these bespoke shoe competition, or at the very least provided the shoemaker(s) the polish, which, from time to time, gain more and more attention.

6. traverscao

I would suggest, from my opinion, that you clean these with watm water and a brush, scrub the mud and dirt off, then let the leather dry off of water before either 1) treat them with Réno or Venetian shoe cream, or better than both of these - Glen Karen conditioner, or 2) use a very light grease, such as Saphir dubbin, or Huberd's shoe grease. In any case, remember to brush the leather a lot before treatments, and henceforth after.

Again, that's my suggestion. You might as well hold up for a response from C&J.

Guys, anybody else willing to give this man a hand?

7. Fred G. Unn

I dunno. GK is of course great for calf, but I seriously doubt the high beeswax content would be appropriate for these. The leather isn't exactly smooth, but almost has a subtle nap to it which is why I haven't tried Renovateur on them yet. I could try Bick4 I suppose, but I'll see if C&J responds to my query.

8. DWFII

DWFII Well-Known Member

That's probably your best bet...wait for advice from C&J.

Hard to know what you're leather is really like from photos but if it's an oiled nu-buc, maybe a light, penetrating oil. Maybe coconut oil.

A light wax wouldn't go amiss either, although it might lay the nap down a bit. but, on the other hand, if it's a nu-buc it doesn't have much of a nap really, so that might not be a consideration..

PS...if I were you, I'd give up any hope of returning them to the original pristine colour--that's the downside of light coloured leathers esp. those that do not have a finish coat. They're a "casual" boot and dark streaks and dirt spots are supposed to signify "character."

9. Fred G. Unn

Thanks! I'll wait and see what they say. I certainly don't care about returning to the original color as these are pretty hard wearing boots. I'm more concerned with conditioning than cleaning.

10. ErikW

ErikW Well-Known Member

Wore my Tricker's out to a bachelor party weekend and unfortunately something spilled on them (no idea what). [​IMG] I used renovateur and have brushed them a fair amount. Any ideas on what I can do to get rid of the rest of the spots?

[​IMG]

11. traverscao

My suggestion - rock the flaw and keep walking on them. After a week of wear, wipe down with a cloth dampened with warm water several times before going back to basic care regimen.

12. Fred G. Unn

See: http://www.styleforum.net/t/228153/...ad-tutorials-photos-etc/10680_30#post_7378436

Both @patrickBOOTH and @DWFII made good suggestions you might want to try.

13. ErikW

ErikW Well-Known Member

1 person likes this.
  14. traverscao

Anybody here experienced the "Renovating Polish" line from wither Kiwi or Dasco? It's fairly new to me that a wax polish would "renovate" leather.

15. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

Sounds like marketing bullshit.

16. traverscao

Sounds like one. I never actually knew of anybody using those. However, it is kinda interesting to know.

17. traverscao

I am too lazy to take a picture and upload, but, guys, the deer bone has done me great favor. However, I am not so sure about the "oils" or "grease" left behind, as many said.

Please tell me if my bone is doing its job. I mean, after half an hour rubbing the bone on my shell Dundee, the surface is ultra smooth and supple, but I don't see the oily surface left behind, instead, the bone leaves a quite translucent thick fatty surface, quite rough enough to be smoothen over when take a brushing.

Other than that, please don't tell me that the bone is unnecessary - I'm well aware that it is too much a luxury already LOL!!

18. Isolation

Isolation Well-Known Member

I just used a nano spray. Man that smells. Works well though.

Does anyone use this on calf skin or is that not advised.

19. davesmith

davesmith Well-Known Member

Damn right! Almost died the first time I used it.

I don't see why it wouldn't be for calf.. You can use it for anything.

20. jssdc

jssdc Well-Known Member

Oh my...

2 people like this.