1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. nickatpsu

nickatpsu Active Member

Similar to the Saphir question above:

Is there a difference between "Venetian Shoe Cream" and "Venetian Leather Balm"?

Both are Imperial brand products, but there seems to be some confusion out there. I bought Venetian Leather Balm (through Amazon) and tried it on some shell. It smelled much stronger than Saphir Reno. Did I use the wrong product? Grrr...

Here's a photo of both products side by side, VSC and Venetian Leather Balm: http://www.zoesmfgco.com/venetian-shoe-cream.html
    Here's Rancourt & Sons' VSC page which shows a photo of the Venetian Leather Balm: http://www.rancourtandcompany.com/shoe-care/venetian-shoe-cream-neutral.html

Thanks for any help!

- Nick

2. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Well-Known Member

Welcome to SF! Sure, if you uploaded a video to YouTube or something go ahead and post the link.

I basically do it the way @Crat does:
    This Japanese video (which has been posted in this thread before) is interesting too:

3. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Well-Known Member

Honestly the best way to care for your boots is to buy a second pair....rotating your boots as opposed to wearing the same pair every day will do more good than any amount of product you put on them. Pick up a lightly used pair on ebay if budget is an issue. Use shoe trees..

4. DWFII

DWFII Well-Known Member

The Kiwi did not cause the separation. Improper construction techniques caused it.

The nails protruding is yet another issue that originates in the factory.

Sno-Seal, like all waterproofing agents will seal the leather from water and other liguids that might penetrate...hence the word "seal" in the brand name. That said, I don't think the Sno-Seal caused cracking on your baseball gloves...but it is not a conditioner and if you want to apply conditioner, you should not use Sno-Seal.

If you want to polish or bull your boots, don't use Sno-Seal..or any oily, greasy, waterproofing compound..

Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
  5. traverscao

traverscao Well-Known Member

I was wondering that myself too. What I think is the consistency of both products are different, and hence the function. Balm is more fluid, whilst cream is slightly thicker. Balm cleans really well whilst cream covers.

6. ChrisRocknRoll

ChrisRocknRoll Member

Some Iron Rangers are on my list of things to buy :)

That sorta makes sense as to why the gloves cracked, sealing out any sort of conditioning that may have been applied later on?

I've read a lot of people like Lexol for conditioning, would that be a better choice, I've got Saphir renovateur that I like but it seems closer to a polish than a conditioner to me.

Maybe I'll just stick to what I used before, my Saphir products. I was more worried I might have used something that caused the splitting so I wanted to avoid doing that again on the new pair. Also was looking for better suggestions on products, if any.

Thanks for the help thus far, guys!

7. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

Yup. Imo, there's too much beeswax in renovateur to be that useful as a conditioner. It builds up just like anything else.

1 person likes this.
  8. phototristan

phototristan Well-Known Member

AFAIK, they are exactly the same product.

Venetian Shoe Cream smells stronger than Saphir Renovateur in general due to the turpentine in the Venetian. Reno I believe has some perfume in it to make it smell good too.

9. traverscao

The only purpose it serves, so far I can see, is conditioning after cleaning with a cleaner.

10. traverscao

Not precisely the same, I guess, due to the difference in consistency. One runs like liquid and the other is too thick and, I guess, "creamy".

11. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Well-Known Member

Wow, I have heard some crazy tales of how people treat gloves, either for breaking in purposes or general maintenance, but I don't think I've ever heard of someone using Sno Seal. Wow. [​IMG]

My own experience is that the most common cause of internal cracking in a glove is from perspiration and not wearing a batting glove on the glove hand. Seems to work for me.

Nokona used to have something on its website that said the six most important words to remember for breaking in a glove are "play catch ... play catch ... play catch." That has worked for me. Once you get it broken in some, the palm layers compress and the oil goo/glue will seep through a little and make that black spot about the size of a ball. I never add any oil or anything except a bit of conditioner on rare occasions.

Linking this back to shoe care, based on this thread I got a bottle of Bick 4 for - among other things - an old pair of Hanover PTB's in #8 shell. Once I got my rag wet, I started looking around for other things to condition. After giving my old Gladstone a good going over, I turned my attention to an old (cir. 1950's) Nokona J113 I found on ebay. It's really in pretty good shape but I've been reluctant to put anything on it in the way of conditioner. But, I rubbed in some Bick 4, let it soak it, and buffed it dry. Looks good with no darkening of the leather.

12. PattyC

PattyC Well-Known Member

I'm selling a pair of shoes where I had a rubber topy placed over the sole. I had someone ask me if they were to remove the topy, would there be any permanant glue residue or something of the like. Gonna ask the cobbler I used, but I was just wondering if anyone here would know as well

13. nickatpsu

nickatpsu Active Member

I thought that VSC had no turpentine in it?

I saw a post here (somewhere) from the North American importer of VSC, saying that nobody exactly knows what's in VSC. But why do others on the forum recommend VSC over Reno (including a reference to Nick Horween giving a jar of VSC to a forum member)?

14. sleepyinsanfran

sleepyinsanfran Well-Known Member

well, if you leave a bottle of vsc sitting on the shelf for a year or so, a water-like liquid separates from the cream and sits on top. Based on teh smell I'd guess its turpentine, but who knows. Either way, if you put vsc on your shoes about once a year, they'll be alright even if it contains turpentine

oh, and vsc is much cheaper than reno, and perhaps not much worse (although others might disagree). I just use some combination of lexol/bick4 and paste wax for shoe care (even though I now have just about every magical shoe-potion advocated on these fora)

15. SushiOfTheGods

SushiOfTheGods Well-Known Member

16. traverscao

Just to clear it up for you folks, VSC is a glaze cream, not an actual care product. It shines, and it nourish, but little. It does not contain much oil compare to the amount of oils seen in Reno. VSC, again, is more like a typical kind of polish that will encourage a glow and patina, not a shine, and again not the perfect stuff for nourishment.

The reason why Horween used the product was largely because of the ability of the cream to produce a glaze over the smooth surface of shell cordovan. It's low oil content makes excellent glazed surface. If you wish to restore a shell to its former shine, then yes, VSC is the product. As of nourishment, no.

17. traverscao

Only use when the sole is fully cleaned. Dampen the leather and apply the stuff on. Should work out fairly well. Use them sparingly.

Alternatively, I use pure neatsfoot oil.

18. nickatpsu

nickatpsu Active Member

Thanks.

So what is the common opinion of the best nourishment product for shell?

19. traverscao

There isn't one particular product. There are plenty to try. Some used Lexol, others Bick 4, many preferred Saphir Reno and Saphir Cordovan. Crazy as I am, I used boot grease on my shells.

Further than this point then, re-read the whole thread and see what works for you.

20. nickatpsu

nickatpsu Active Member

Thanks. Here's the guidance I've been following, originally posted on the AE Appreciation Thread:

Originally Posted by patrick_b [​IMG]

As has been mentioned, the use of Renomat is something done very infrequently, maybe once or twice a year and only to remove built up layers of wax. If you rarely apply wax, there is no reason to strip a shoe with Remomat. However, after using a product like Renomat, it is essential to recondition with a product like Renovateur (or the conditioner of your choice) followed by protective and shiny layer(s) of wax. Renomat is a fantastic product but one with a very specific purpose and should not be confused with day to day shoe care products like VSC or Renovateur.

You could liken this type of regimen to a full car detail. Old wax is stripped completely down to the paint, followed by thorough cleaning and application of new layers of wax. It's something done infrequently, perhaps annually.

Your weekly car washes are like the day to day shoe care. Mac method, occasional conditioning, cleaning and touch ups with Renovateur or VSC.