1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Cleav

Cleav Well-Known Member

Worn for the day

Quick wipe/brush when taken off

Shoe trees in

Bags on

2. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

I would only think that putting them in bags vs brushing them protects against more UV light, which can fade and possibly degrade the leather over time. Putting them in bags just seems unnecessary and a pain in the ass. Brushing them before and after wearing them is already more than most are willing to do. If I had the leisure time to enjoy bagging my shoes I wouldn't need to worry about the longevity of my shoes.

2 people like this.
  3. Isolation

Isolation Well-Known Member

Yeah and considering there isn't much UV light inside the house where I store them I would think it's a very insignificant factor anyway.

Would you say the same is true for suede? I don't know if suede should be considered more easily damaged/stained/whatever or not.

I might still bag my favorite pair of shoes or shoes that I'm not wearing for the season, or maybe if I am going away, I guess.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
  4. patrickBOOTH

Well, the thing with suede is that it is more difficult to hide/fix/obscure anything that happens to them. I would still give them a brush before wear, however.

5. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Well-Known Member

Maybe the bags act like a humidor and keep the moisture in....who knows..I am just happy when my kids have not taken a crayon to my shoes....

6. patrickBOOTH

Yet another reason not to have kids.

7. Nick V.

Nick V. Well-Known Member

Actually if you use cotton or flannel bags they will help keep the dust off of them and protect your shoes from being scratched. Those materials also breathe and will not trap -or- allow moisture to build up.

8. MDeKelver

MDeKelver Well-Known Member

Fine Sir, What Godly company has produced these shoes for you? And model also and colour :)

9. cmfuen

cmfuen New Member

I place bags over the shoes. Actually placing them in would be too much of a pain.

1 person likes this.
  10. BootSpell

BootSpell Well-Known Member

Great first post! What a way to start off. I can't welcome you because you've joined a while ago but welcome to posting.

1 person likes this.
  11. gettoasty

gettoasty Well-Known Member

I picked up a pair of suede shoes from Carmina and after the first wear, the right heel counter is starting to bald.

I think it is a combination of my heel kicking my chair and driving.

Has anyone experienced this before? I tried to minimize the rubbing of the heel by wearing different shoes to work. However, today I still noticed the right heel counter starting to whiten. If you compare the left and right heel counter, it is quite apparent.

Since the suede is being worn down so quick and brushing does not lift the hair anymore, is there a spray I can use?

lol

I have a feeling a large portion of members do not commute but take public transportation or walk since living in a larger city.

HALP!! :eek:

12. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Well-Known Member

I tree them, then brush, then into bags. I guess I'm sorta neurotic about it.

13. Munky

Munky Well-Known Member

As someone wrote on here a long time ago: 'Trees in the shoes, shoes in their bags, bags in their racks, babies in their beds.'

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
    2 people like this.
  14. cbfn

cbfn Well-Known Member

Everybody walk the dinosaur!

lol

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
  15. patrickBOOTH

Really, this is your first post? :confused:

16. patrickBOOTH

It is funny you should mention this. I don't drive very often. If I drive once per year that's a lot, but recently I drove a lot for a mini-vacation. One of the first things I noticed was that driving is brutal on your shoes. The right heel was all fucked up from resting on the floor of the car and the pedal. That, and the pedals scuffing your shoes. Also, just sitting does disasters on your pants and jacket. You suburbanites are nuts.

17. RogerP

RogerP Well-Known Member

Driving can be hard on shoes -particulary suede - and especially if you drive stick.

18. phototristan

phototristan Well-Known Member

19. patrickBOOTH

You can also do it with the back of a spoon.

20. chogall

chogall Well-Known Member

I drive a stick shift and my shoes are all fine.

1 person likes this.