1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. laufer

laufer Well-Known Member

Interesting, would this mean I would be better off using shell cream for maintenance instead of paste wax.

2. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

I don't know, maybe. Give it a shot.

3. kentyman

kentyman Well-Known Member

So after a week of "drying", the shoe looked the same. I decided to see whether more vinegar/water solution would slowly lighten them. It didn't seem to, so I decided to finish darkening that one panel. Surprisingly, the results are that bad:

[​IMG]

I'd say this photo is a little more flattering than real life, especially at some angles, but it does get the point across. I think I have enough tools now to perhaps do a little more work in evening it out. I actually might give Reno'Mat a try on one of the darkest areas to see whether it will lighten it at all.

Thank you all for the advice in minimizing the damage of one stray onion from an oily Greek salad! ;)

4. patrickBOOTH

It looks like a non issue at this point

5. laufer

laufer Well-Known Member

I will, I am not shell enthusiast but I bought a pair just to see what is it all about. I seem to remember Ron Rider specifically saying that shell should be worn in the rain. In addition some people claim that shell is virtually maintenance free but lately I have been hearing a different stories. I guess I will try it and see it for myself.

6. smoothie1

smoothie1 Well-Known Member

In my experience, shell is very low maintenance. If you buy whiskey or other lighter colored shell and want to keep it perfectly pristine, you might think/find shell to be high maintenance. Otherwise, all it takes is a brush and some wax polish, and it's all good. Despite what others might contend, shell is a sturdy material, perfectly suited for rain, work, or winter boots/shoes. Also, it definitely wears warmer than leather. But it can look plasticky and unappealing in some contexts. Cheers.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
  7. laufer

laufer Well-Known Member

It is a whiskey, MTO Harlech. Thanks for the tip.

8. smoothie1

smoothie1 Well-Known Member

Funny. I have been wearing my whiskeys more than ever this summer/fall, and the only consequence is an ever so slight darkening overall.

9. PCK1

PCK1 Well-Known Member

I only use wax...it will darken that navy up....

1 person likes this.
  10. laufer

laufer Well-Known Member

Good to know I would like them to darken a little bit.

11. SushiOfTheGods

SushiOfTheGods Well-Known Member

It's those little ripples in the reflection that makes it so that the reflection isn't completely flat.

Bingo~ I don't know the cause but it doesn't seem to get better as I add more layers.

Thanks for the tip! I tried that but I think I may need to add more layers. Either that or I need to strip it down and start over... Maybe the leather's too new? The shoe itself is only half a year old and I haven't worn it all that much.

12. aglose

aglose Well-Known Member

So my dark brown linderick boots in shell are always very bumpy where ever the creases are in the shaft and on the vamp. Are they just dry? I rub them every time after I wear them with my deer bone, but still they end up super bumpy.

13. MasonAndSmith

MasonAndSmith Active Member

take a picture for all of us to see, super bumpy due to crease or due to inconsistency of the wax. or could be the previous layers of wax/ residue left uncleared

14. aglose

aglose Well-Known Member

I will wear them tomorrow and snap a picture at the end of the day. Just kidding, my denim today ended up bleeding on my suede carmine chukkas. Here is a picture that shows them at the beginning of the wear. You can see the right boot has a bit of bumps that get progressively worse as the day goes on.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
  15. medinfoto

medinfoto Member

Found me a pair of bespoke Trickers (which thankfully correspond to my feet quite well!) for 25 quid; though they looked a bit rough the leather itself looked quite good all things considered. Brought them home and started a Saphir treatment. You can see before/after here. Even with a future resole I think I'll have a lovely pair of shoes for not a lot of money. Three coats of Renovateur and one of cream.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  16. patrickBOOTH

Welcome to shell.

1 person likes this.
  17. Isolation

Isolation Well-Known Member

I see people putting the shoe bags on their shoes on their shoe racks, or have cases with dust covers/glass, but it's actually perfectly fine to have the shoes on your rack in open air right? Because I am sick of having bits of cloth everywhere when picking my shoes.

18. patrickBOOTH

I don't cover mine, but I do give them a quick brush before putting them on just to get some of the dust off. Especially the vamp gets a bit dusty and I don't want that dust to settle in the creases and cause unnecessary wear.

1 person likes this.
  19. medinfoto

medinfoto Member

A local shoe salesman (who is around 76 now) made a very long term bet with his son (who runs another shoe store) about whether storing shoes in bags or boxes vs "in the open" made a difference over time. A decade or two later they came to the conclusion that it _did_ make enough of a difference to settle the bet, though I do not have any objective data from this particular test...

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
  20. Isolation

Isolation Well-Known Member

Interesting, thanks.

I wonder if exposing it to "the elements" of your house is what causes it or if it's the dust, and if so, would the fact that you wear and brush them now and then be enough to counteract that.