1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. chogall

chogall Well-Known Member

Kiwi Parade Gloss is silicone based.

2. Gdot

Gdot Well-Known Member

Thank you for mentioning that.

I still wonder about the regular wax - if anyone knows.

3. glenjay

glenjay Well-Known Member

The "ingredients" listed by Kiwi for their regular wax line does not include silicone. However, silicone is listed as an ingredient in their Parade Gloss line.

4. WhyAlwaysMe

WhyAlwaysMe Well-Known Member

I have a pair of UK9 John Lobb shoe trees I don't use anymore.
    How much do you guys think I can ask for it?

[​IMG]

5. Gdot

Gdot Well-Known Member

Thank you - I feel better now. :D

6. patrick_b

patrick_b Well-Known Member

This is why I love saphir renovateur so much. A lot of folks have asked me if it's difficult to maintain the mirror shine on the toe and it's actually quite the opposite. Once I've achieved the sufficiently shined/bulled/mirrored toe, maintenance is very simple. A single application of renovateur every 2-3 weeks followewd by rigorous brushing and buffing keeps them looking great.

There are even times when I wish it wasn't so easy. My RMW Craftsman boot for instance was one of my early experiments in bulling. While I was able to achieve a finish very close to mirror, I realized that this boot wears & looks better with a matte finish. I still haven't been able to remove the mirror finish, though I haven't tried all that hard. My early attempts at using renovateur just brought back the mirrored finish on the toe. Eventually I found that applying renovateur then not brushing and buffing so much produces a less shiny finish, but not matte.

Aside from Renomat, what other products can be used to remove old layers of wax? Mineral spirits and isopropyl alcohol have been mentioned but they just seem harsh to me. I'd feel more comfortable using Renomat but just haven't found it in the US. I might as well just order from overseas. Maybe I can find it on ebay?

Would love to hear your thoughts on wax removal.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
  7. patrick_b

patrick_b Well-Known Member

Thanks for that.

8. fritzl

fritzl Well-Known Member

wrong size? i would keep them. they are of good quality. one never knows, where they can be needed, imo.

9. WhyAlwaysMe

Wrong size indeed. They're a UK9 and I have a UK10 so they're quite useless.
    I still have 4 pairs of shoes without shoe trees, so if I could sell the John Lobb's, I might be able to buy 4 pairs of cheaper shoe trees...

10. fritzl

fritzl Well-Known Member

ah, ok. just for your reference. i have seen a JL shoe care kit rallying to € 100,- on ebay recently. one hour before closing it stood at twenty. good luck.

11. Ivon

Ivon Well-Known Member

I was lucky enough to pick up two pair of new Lobbs on the B/S in the last month. I just cannot rationalize spending that much money on shoe trees when I've always used Woodlores, especially when one of my local repair places sells them for $25.

12. rikod

rikod Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jun 6, 2012
  13. fritzl

fritzl Well-Known Member

if the woodlores fit. no problem.

actually, i dunno what the retail for lobb trees is. anyone?

where do all the orphaned trees come from???

14. WhyAlwaysMe

retail is 120€, so approx. 150$

15. Ivon

Ivon Well-Known Member

I think that is about what EG charges for trees, I believe C&J trees are 2/3 of that. Woodlores are usually about $40. At $25, the Woodlores my repair guy sells is a real deal.

16. Gerry

Gerry Well-Known Member

I purchased a pair of Belgraves(Chestnut) in Jermny St just after Christmas and the guys in the store gave me Tan polish in their own C&J brand for the shoes.

17. Northampton Novice

Northampton Novice Well-Known Member

This may be what you have observed, but it's worth knowing the listed ingredients can vary from country to country. It is also somewhat naive to rely on listed ingredients anyway - because they don't include everything...

AFAIK Both Parade Gloss and regular Kiwi wax polishes contain silicon. The substantive difference between the two lines is that Parade Gloss contains a greater amount of Carnuba Wax , hence it's increased shining properties.

Kiwi is not alone in adding silicone to it's polish, it is commonplace amongst many manufacturers - Woly is another example.

Sometimes manufacturers will refer to ingredients by recognisable names like 'silicone' or 'silicone oil', sometimes they choose to be a little more scientific - in which case silicone can be called 'Polydimethysiloxane' or 'dimethylsiloxane' or just plain 'siloxane'. They could also use organic chemical names such as 'dimethicone' or simply generic chemical names such as 'polymers' or 'organic polymers' - The list is not endless, but it certainly is long.

Is polish containing silicone deleterious for leather shoes? Personally I can't say. A number of shoemakers however discourage it's use on their products.

Is bulling deleterious for leather shoes? It can be. 1) I've seen guys trying to get a mirror shine who have added too much water and then rubbed the hell out of their shoes - resulting in a damaged finish. 2) In order to achieve a mirror shine, you have to "block" the pores in the leather - this is not generally considered to be conducive for leather. If every so often you remove the mirror finish, you mitigate the chance of any damage, if however you continue to add layers of new polish over the old, you'll begin to get a very flaky looking shoe which will be prone to drying out. Just my two cents worth.

1 person likes this.
  18. Poshak Man

Poshak Man Well-Known Member

I alternate between Saphir Havane and Saphir Cognac for my C&J shoes in chestnut.

19. Liquidus

Liquidus Well-Known Member

Where did you buy those two colors? I don't see them on Hanger Project or OnTheFly.

20. glenjay

glenjay Well-Known Member

NN, you state that AFAIK (as far as you know) both Parade Gloss and regular Kiwi wax polishes contain silicon, and that relying on listed ingredients is naive. Can you tell me what method you use to determine that Kiwi does put silicon in their regular wax polish?

I just sent an email to SC Johnson, who now owns Kiwi, and asked if their regular wax shoe polish line included silicone. I cannot see why they would try to avoid admitting there is silicone in any of their polish because they state right on the Parade Gloss tin "Premium Shoe Polish With Silicone" so they clearly don't see silicone as a bad thing.

The SC Johnson site allows you to submit questions by general product line, like Kiwi. I expect to get an answer back in a few days, and will share their response here.