1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. ShawnBC

ShawnBC Well-Known Member

Would you care to explain why? I don't know a great deal about leather maintenance so I followed the instructions on the AE website. What would be your routine for the maintenance of the McTavish natural wax infused leather? Does it require special treatment when compared to a normal leather?

Thank you!

Last edited: May 9, 2014
  2. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

Just use their conditioner and polish. No saddle soap.

3. sstomcat

sstomcat Well-Known Member

these look like chromexcel to me, if so i dont think it needs anything other than a good cleaning. There are of course some lotions that Saphir sells for these type of greasy leathers.

4. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Well-Known Member

They are actually Horween's Dublin leather.

5. partyof6

partyof6 Well-Known Member

How long do you brush them after you apply their conditioner and polish? Brushing vigorously for a few minutes should remove the excess inside the holes.

6. DWFII

DWFII Well-Known Member

If you are using so much conditioner that it piles up in the broguing, it's too much. Think of putting hand lotion on your hands...if you come away with greasy hands you've used too much. Similarly, only enough conditioner should be used that it all soaks into the leather. A light film in other words.

Same with the cream or the wax polish. Too little is better than too much...although most of the time what you think is hardly any will be more than sufficient..

7. ShawnBC

ShawnBC Well-Known Member

8. Munky

Munky Well-Known Member

In the past, I have used cotton buds - (I don't know what they are called in other countries, but they are sticks with cotton wool at either end). In my experience, though - as DWF is suggesting,- if the holes get blocked, you are using too much polish or cream.

Last edited: May 10, 2014
  9. Itsuo

Itsuo Well-Known Member

I agree with all the other advice, I would also say if you're applying any cream polish with a small dauber brush, it is easier to make sure that it gets into and out of the holes.

10. Beach Bum

Beach Bum Well-Known Member

how long does polish last? Generally speaking. I have saphir and some other products and don't use them more than once every other month.

Will they last years? I hope so.

11. cptjeff

cptjeff Well-Known Member

Decades, if the stuff my dad has around is any indication. He doesn't polish his shoes much, if at all.

12. ClassyCanuck

ClassyCanuck Well-Known Member

Hi all,
    Question.
    Is there any way to remove those dark spots off the right boot?
    I bought these chukkas used a few months back and for the life of me can't get rid of them.
    I've tried a deer bone, I've tried Reno lots of brushing too.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

[​IMG]

13. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Well-Known Member

Others in this thread know far more about shoe care than I . . . but to me those shoes are gorgeous and the spots are par for the course for shell.

14. JezeC

JezeC Well-Known Member

Are those burgundy dundees?

Nice rolls.

15. ClassyCanuck

ClassyCanuck Well-Known Member

Alden Chukka Shell #8.

16. SloopyNoob

SloopyNoob Well-Known Member

17. Itsuo

Itsuo Well-Known Member

If you find that the leather looks like an oily leather, then it probably only really needs to be brushed to keep surface dirt off. If you get any scuffs, you can probably just rub them out by pushing down on the leather in the opposite direction of the scuff. If you wanted to be extremely diligent you could pick up one of the items intended for greasy leathers.

18. JezeC

JezeC Well-Known Member

Delighted to report that baby power was able to suppress most of the creaking sounds caused by the friction between the tongue and the flaps (derby) of my shoe. I'm not sure how long this effect will last but at least I don't have to force myself to wear this particular pair in my rotation.

19. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

Yeah, I hadn't worm my squeaky Butteros for months. I wore them on Friday and no squeaks.

20. DWFII

DWFII Well-Known Member

It's a good solution if you can access those areas that are creaking. I always thought that if I could get a hypodermic needle full of talc past the stitches and between the outsole and insole, I could suppress creaking in the shoe. Never did try it...never was confronted with need.

Bear in mind however...talc is drying. It will absorb the conditioners on and near the surface of the leather.

Last edited: May 12, 2014