1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

I think chukkas are a viable, classier alternative.

2. hikari013

hikari013 Well-Known Member

So I took a pair of John Lobbs I bought on the ebay to a local cobbler to remove some salt damage that the previous owner had neglected. They took care of that well enough, but then they 'conditioned' and waterproofed them with a silicone spray (that I didn't ask for of course). I've never put such a waterproofer on my shoes before, but I know its not considered a good thing to do around here.

Should I be losing sleep over this???

But seriously, can or should I remove it and will it effect my ability to shine the shoes?

3. NotClever

NotClever Well-Known Member

Ahoy gentlemen.

My fiancee recently got a nice new pair of boots from Frye (whose leather I believe is pretty solid quality, especially compared to what they usually try to sell to women at outrageous prices), and I want to help her take care of them properly, but am a shoe novice myself. They're in the "cognac" color, but they're a little lighter than that and they have a more consistent color (i.e. they don't appear as antiqued as those sample boots).

She had seen a pair on display with a more antiqued-looking toe and wanted that look. My question is which color would be best to get a subtle antique going on these: Navy? Black? Dark brown?

I also plan to use some Renovateur from time to time and I suppose I'll need to use a more properly matched polish to keep the rest of the boot up.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  4. DrStrangelove

DrStrangelove Well-Known Member

Anyone knows how to prevent these discolorations due to shoe polishing?

5. cbfn

cbfn Well-Known Member

You may be forcing the wax into the leather, and using wax that are too dark for the shoes.

6. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

Any Saphir users with a pair of regular Alden Indy boots know the best color to keep the slight red tone to the leather? The medium brown is too chocolatey, unfortunately.

7. NotClever

NotClever Well-Known Member

I don't have an answer for you, but when you say "regular" Indy boots do you mean 403 or 405?

8. Gdot

Gdot Well-Known Member

I'd use neutral polish and renovatuer if I didn't need any color added. You can go a long time without any added color polish pretty often.

9. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

Well I figure I'm going to need it anyway so I might as well buy it now

10. PL92106

PL92106 Well-Known Member

I was digging through the garage and found a box I have been lugging around from place to place, city to city since I was 18. It has been unopened. Inside I found a bunch of old shoes. A pair of RL boots that I haven't worn since I was in 8th grade still fit but were in pretty ragged shape:

[​IMG]

They were dry, crushed and they were scraped to total shit - especially the toes. I can't be that mad at my 13 year old self.

After reading the tips I found on this thread over the past few months I thought it was worth a shot to try and refurb them. Used a combo of Lexol, Saphir creme and Saphir Medaille d'Or paste. Put shoe trees in and replaced the old two-color boot laces with some brown waxed laces. Not quite done yet, but here's how nice they look at this point:

[​IMG]

Still needs some more Lexol/Saphir creme. Will try antiquing them after they are fully "healthy".

Thanks SF for all the insights and wisdom. Had I found these a year ago before reading this thread, they would have ended up in the trash or at Goodwill.

1 person likes this.
  11. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

Wow. That's really fucking impressive.

12. swiego

swiego Well-Known Member

Yeah. I wish I had been that stylish in 8th grade!

13. patrickBOOTH

Saphir as a "cordovan" colored wax that is reddish. Also they have a "Mahogony" cream, which has an amazing color. My friend uses it on a pair of dark brown boots and they look fantastic now.

14. patrickBOOTH

Here is a quick job that I did for my girlfriend some time ago:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/221634/i-couldnt-take-looking-at-my-girlfriends-boots-anymore/0_20

15. GasparddeColigny

GasparddeColigny Well-Known Member

Cool, lots of character, and they have lots of life left it seems!

16. SHS

SHS Well-Known Member

Deleted

Last edited: May 17, 2012
  17. JL724

JL724 Well-Known Member

When should I use Saphir's neutral polish vs one of the colored ones? Is neutral better for certain leathers, colors, etc. or is it just something you alternate?

18. PL92106

PL92106 Well-Known Member

Thanks. Not as impressive as other SF refurbs like this one:

Damn that's nice work.

Looking forward to many years more of wear. Might have some Danite soles put on when these wear out.

Style? I think it was actually motivated by self preservation as I needed some ass kicking boots after first getting picked on for sporting suede/calf saddle shoes with those pinkish red crepe soles.

19. Naka

Naka Well-Known Member

It really depends on what you have available to you. If you already have a polish which matched the colour of your shoes, then use that. If you haven't, and your shoes desperately need cleaning, neutral won't hurt at all.

20. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

Yeah, I saw that mahogony cream, but I was afraid it would be TOO reddish.