• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

more flexible/supple = wears down faster.  i would just pre treat them before the raining season.  or better, get double leather sole or danite sole. :)

this is ****** advice...

SHS

Reaction score
Thank you for the inputs. I will keep applying the oil a few times a year. The description of its good qualities seems convincing to me. When I applied it the leather drank it right up. Perhaps the leather is less prone to absorb moisture when it is treated with this oil. I will continue to use my dainite soled shoes and boots in rough weather though.

SHS

Last edited:

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have to agree that Obenauf LP (not the oil) is one of the best conditioning waxes available. As Patrick indicated, it's virtually impossible to ever develop a shine on boots that have had LP applied. Therefore it's great on work boots, not so great on finer footwear. I have a specific horsehair brush that I use on boots with LP that I don't use on any other footwear. I don't want the LP to transfer to dressier leathers.

While nothing other than a waterproof/breathable membrane will truly waterproof a boot, Obenauf LP will keep your feet dry. I applied LP to these Wolverine 1K's a half dozen times over a year or so and brush them regularly. I applied brown kiwi wax twice but it doesn't look any better after the kiwi so I stick to LP only. The only other care is to remove salt in the winter with a damp cloth. I remove the salt religiously after each wear in the winter, it only takes a minute then I brush them with the LP brush.

IMO, they look the best with a coat of LP and brushed. It brings up a nice, rich luster...not a shine...but not dull. These haven't been brushed in months and are a year old. They just look better and better as the months go by.

I'm on the fence about applying a vibram half sole (like the mini lug) over the leather sole. Last winter was very snowy and I would have appreciated the extra grip. With that said, I lived through it and I think they look great with a leather sole. I also added the leather laces...I think its a significant improvement over the OEM flat cotton laces.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Awesome post Patrick :slayer: They look great. I will post my winter Rider boots and give an overview of my use of LP and polish as well.

Last edited:

thesecondprize

Reaction score

I have to agree that Obenauf LP (not the oil) is one of the best conditioning waxes available. As Patrick indicated, it's virtually impossible to ever develop a shine on boots that have had LP applied. Therefore it's great on work boots, not so great on finer footwear. I have a specific horsehair brush that I use on boots with LP that I don't use on any other footwear. I don't want the LP to transfer to dressier leathers.
While nothing other than a waterproof/breathable membrane will truly waterproof a boot, Obenauf LP will keep your feet dry. I applied LP to these Wolverine 1K's a half dozen times over a year or so and brush them regularly. I applied brown kiwi wax twice but it doesn't look any better after the kiwi so I stick to LP only. The only other care is to remove salt in the winter with a damp cloth. I remove the salt religiously after each wear in the winter, it only takes a minute then I brush them with the LP brush.
IMO, they look the best with a coat of LP and brushed. It brings up a nice, rich luster...not a shine...but not dull. These haven't been brushed in months and are a year old. They just look better and better as the months go by.

I'm on the fence about applying a vibram half sole (like the mini lug) over the leather sole. Last winter was very snowy and I would have appreciated the extra grip. With that said, I lived through it and I think they look great with a leather sole. I also added the leather laces...I think its a significant improvement over the OEM flat cotton laces.

This was very helpful, thanks. Those boots look terrific, too.

nutcracker

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My best friend for the past year....a horsehair shoebrush I found in Japan

The pile is so long it looks funny standing.

Look how freakishly dense and packed this is

After a year of abuse (I follow the Mac method....), the fringe started to flair a little, but the surface is still quite flat and firm

BostonHedonist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
and this baby in goat hair is so soft I should forget about shoes and scrub my face with it
redface.gif

Jesus, where can I get one of those...

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

don't be a *****. use proper stuff for boots.

:puzzled:

See, this is how my boots look now, only slightly more scuffed. What I'd like to do is protect them so they look like my dress shoes. Or, at least the dress shoes I'll eventually have one day. These boots are functioning as dress shoes now.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

:puzzled:
See, this is how my boots look now, only slightly more scuffed. What I'd like to do is protect them so they look like my dress shoes. Or, at least the dress shoes I'll eventually have one day. These boots are functioning as dress shoes now.

The problem is that they aren't dress shoes. CXL is a pull up leather, it's not designed to shine up like a fine calfskin.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Ok, ok - I've finally gotten onboard with Saphir. I ordered a proper boatload of their products from The Hanger Project - renovateur, waxes, creams, you name it. Here's hoping I'll be contributing pics of some hard won results in the near future! :nodding:

Most of the big drop has landed. I'm so glad it's going to be a crappy game on MNF tonight, I won't be distracted from my more serious pending work...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads