1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. stevent

stevent Well-Known Member

Leather soul still has the round 100ml reno jars, been thinking of stocking up a few

Also if reno gets melted it's ok right? Had a jar by window and LA heat pretty much turned it to liquid, feels fine now though after it cooled down

2. nickwjd

nickwjd Well-Known Member

I have been trying some out myself as my feet overpronate as well (or are perhaps slightly flat). What I've found is that even with the thinnest ones I could find, they typically raise your heel too much resulting in heel slip because the heel cup is now more shallow, and depending on your instep and the shoe's instep, makes that area uncomfortable.

The only time I've had good results is when the shoe has a removable insole. My Florsheim Veblens have this, so I remove the original one and replace it with a full length insert which has better arch support. This works well.

For most shoes that don't have a removable insole, I will try the standalone arch support inserts which basically stick into place at the arch. Those should provide support without affecting heel fit.

3. chogall

chogall Well-Known Member

Not sure if 100F heat alters any of Renovateur's chemical properties, but my garage is usually over 80+ during NorCal summer and 40- during winter. I don't feel any difference after application.

However, wax(?) inside shoe waxes will solidify and form little spheres. And dubbing will liquify and drip grease all over.

4. Mr Engineer

Mr Engineer Well-Known Member

What is the best Neutral wax shoe polish that will not leave a dry white residue on my shoes like Kiwi neutral wax show polish?

5. wurger

wurger Well-Known Member

You need brush off excess wax after polishing, same for all waxes

6. Munky

Munky Well-Known Member

Posting didn't work!

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  7. benhour

benhour Well-Known Member

creams look ok ,not dry at all to me too!!
    i use most of the time(in the regular maintenance process) about 2ml per shoe(about the size of 2 pea )+ 2 ml of 1909 leather cream!! but always this is depending on the condition of the leather

the only reason i can think is marketing!! + selling les product at the same price 100ml Vs 75ml+ some product is getting wasted in the corners because you cant reach it so you bay more!!! [​IMG]

with witch brand? i heated one wax(completely melted) with a heat gun to make solvents evaporate so to use it easier for mirror shine and never had this problem!

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  8. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Well-Known Member

It gets well over 100 deg inside the back of a tractor trailer during transit. You're fine.

9. chogall

chogall Well-Known Member

W.S. Robson's shoe wax. Not sure if the solid gel spheres are wax or other ingredients, will post picture when I have time.

http://www.chainbridgehoney.co.uk/Beeswax-Polish__c-p-0-0-29.aspx

10. kwhunter

kwhunter Well-Known Member

When it's poured into the jar it's melted, so no worries...

1 person likes this.
  11. benhour

12. VegTan

VegTan Well-Known Member

Below would be one pea size dab.

http://www.boq.jp/shoes/shoecare/05/index.htm
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The following experiment was done by NHK (Japan's national public broadcasting organization). (Unfortunately youtube is a dead link. http://www.wretch.cc/blog/yisa/5817042)

An excessive amount of Kiwi polish was applied on the right shoe (red label), a minimum amount of Kiwi polish on the left shoe (blue label).

[​IMG]

After 5 min jogging, both shoes were put into a plastic box and humidity inside each shoe was measured at the same time, which was almost same. (the right shoe 76.5 %RH, the left shoe 74.6 %RH)

[​IMG]

Taking 5 min rest inside the box, humidity inside each shoe was measured again. The right shoe was 68.9 %RH and the left shoe 48.6 %RH.

[​IMG]

BTW, below is interesting photos. A corrected grain being stripped, a scar emerged from underneath it.

http://onthedesk.jugem.jp/?eid=446
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
  13. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

I don't know about the whole heating up your way thing... Oils get volatile and break down under high heat. Think about the smoke point of different oils and such for cooking. Over certain temps it can't be good. FWIW, I kind of like wax polish when it gets older, drier and clumpy. The turpentine evaporates and makes shining better. Also, I'm not sold on turpentine being "ok", or "good" for leather anyway. But like behour said, using a heat gun... not sure that's the best idea for the oils themselves. Sounds like you are risking breaking down the oils to rid the solvent...

14. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

Vegtan, I am not sure what the point of that humidity test is... I mean essentially the shoe with more wax over it is holding the humidity in the shoe disallowing it to evaporate out as easily, right? What does this mean?

15. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Well-Known Member

It just sounds to me like another case of showing why using too much wax on a shoe will prematurely destroy it from the inside out. The interior relative humidity is showing that moisture can't escape the leather due to being sealed in by the wax. The whole purpose of resting your shoes and using shoe trees is to allow the leather to properly dry and retain it's shape before being worn again. Excessive wax is counterproductive for long-term shoe health.

16. VegTan

VegTan Well-Known Member

Yes and they say it means breathability and comfortableness.

17. benhour

ofcourse and this is not good to do it at your polish!!! (btw i heated it closed just to make it melt(not boiled it!!) then open the tin to let solvents evaporate, wax polish is melted by heat when it is packed in the tins!! i dont think this had any efect on oils!) consider that i did it to a half 50ml tin just to use it after for mirror shining toes!! so i didnt have to wory about the conditioning properties of the wax polish

vegtan nice link!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
  18. wurger

wurger Well-Known Member

When someone does spit shine, the wax fills in the pours of the leather, is that bad as it stops the leather from breathing?

19. benhour

if you wont over do it with polish and rotate your shoes there would be no problem at all!! and put unfished shoe trees after wear

20. stevent

stevent Well-Known Member

Girlfriend has some nude colored Rag & Bone's that have some weird stains on it. I used a slightly damp cloth and finish just seems to come off it with water. Tried conditioning it a little with Reno but it looks just like oil stained on top. I'm pretty sure they are leather just not sure how to clean it if it is possible at all.
    [​IMG]
    The oil on top:
    [​IMG]