1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. ZMEH

ZMEH Active Member

Hey guys, any quick remedy for these "colour runs" on my Alden cape cods?

Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. BattlePope

BattlePope Member

So, I'm going to pull the trigger on some shoe care products for my AE Park Avenue's in black. They are worn pretty infrequently (i.e. weddings, funerals, etc.) but would still like to care for them so they last a while. So far, my plan is to get:

http://www.amazon.com/Meltonian-Cre...UTF8&qid=1374615229&sr=8-1&keywords=Meltonian

http://www.amazon.com/Lexol-1013-Le...=1374615616&sr=8-2&keywords=lexol+conditioner

http://www.amazon.com/Kiwi-100%-Hor...F8&qid=1374615631&sr=1-1&keywords=shine+brush

Do I need anything else? My order of use would be:

1) Wipe shoes down with shirt.
    2) Apply conditioner with shirt.
    3) Let conditioner sit for a few hours.
    4) Wipe off excess with dry shirt.
    5) Apply Meltonian cream to shoe with shirt.
    6) Wipe off excess with shirt.
    7) Buff shoes with horsehair brush.

Does that process/methodology look okay? Is there anything else I should be doing? Once again, these are shoes that are worn very sparingly so I'm going to avoid a wax polish. Thoughts?

3. benhour

benhour Well-Known Member

yes for me too but this is the only reasonable explanation i can think for that!!(if the shoes are new and not resoled)
    you welcome Glengay! i think this is a good video to show how a goodyear -welted shoe is constracted!!

4. glenjay

glenjay Well-Known Member

I would probably get two of the shoe brushes, because just wiping the shoes down with a shirt will not get the dust/dirt out of the seams and welt, where a shoe brush can, and you don't want your cleaning brush to also be your polishing brush.

Also, you will want the conditioner to soak in over night before adding the cream polish, in order for the shoe brush to buff the shoe cream properly.

5. immaage

immaage Member

Hi guys,

I'm hoping to get some advice/help. I recently purchased a pair of Alden Longwings and had them polished by a cobbler with Saphir prior to wearing them.

This evening, I decided to clean and polish them myself. I used Kirby Allison's Basic Shoe Care Guide (http://www.hangerproject.com/shoe-care-guide/basic-shoe-care-guide.html) and cleaned the shoe, applied a coat of renovateur, and then applied a coat of pommadier cream polish (neutral) - brushing in between coats.

After the coat of pommadier, I saw that certain parts of the shoe became darker than the normal color of the shoe (see attached pictures). I'm guessing it absorbed more of the cream than the other parts?

[​IMG]

My question is - is this normal or am I doing something wrong (like applying too much cream)? Is it fixable?

Thanks!

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
  6. chogall

chogall Well-Known Member

They probably haven't fully dried out yet.

7. immaage

immaage Member

Thanks for the response. I checked this morning and it seems to be there still - does it take a day or two?

Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
  8. David Copeland

David Copeland Well-Known Member

Originally from Newport Beach - Now living in West
    I had the same issue. I was brushing too much between steps. Light brushing (less heat) helped out.

(And, with a horsehair brush)

David

9. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Well-Known Member

Thanks! Likewise, on your shoe care and leather knowledge.

10. immaage

immaage Member

Ah ok. Does it go away after a few days or do I need to clean and redo the coat?

Thanks!

11. Schweino

Schweino Well-Known Member

Yes, the shoes are new and worn not more than 10 times. What seems odd to me is that it looks like the uppers are just glued to the welt/sole. I cannot seem to see any thread or needle holes in the part of the uppers that have separated.

12. benhour

benhour Well-Known Member

i would give them back for a refund or replace them

13. Munky

Munky Well-Known Member

Does anyone have experience of using SAPHIR SHOE-EZE LEATHER SOFTENER?

14. GMMcL

GMMcL Well-Known Member

I have heard and read many things (on SF and beyond) regarding care for shell cordo shoes. I have a very simple question: I have a vintage pair that are in great shape but seem to be headed toward dehydration. Is the collective wisdom here that I should: 1) simply brush and activate the oils; or 2) use cordovan cream; or 3) use or some other product; or 4) some combination of the above?
    Thanks in advance.

15. David Copeland

David Copeland Well-Known Member

Originally from Newport Beach - Now living in West
    When going through the 3,, 4, or 5 step process - applying "less" product is better than more product. Light brushing and then a repeat should show a difference.

Here are two links of interest:

Link 1

Link 2

All my best,

David

1 person likes this.
  16. Numbernine

Numbernine Well-Known Member

Speaking from personal experience I highly recommend lexol . RonRider says neatsfoot oil is better . If you use lexol and it does not buff back up to expectations a lite coat of reno , saphir cordo cream or venetian will help .
    These are 30 + yo shoes w/ 2 coats lexol and 1 lite coat reno
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  17. kloss

kloss Well-Known Member

I can see a few stitches on the bottom of my leather sole. The rest of the stitches are somehow hidden (they look like they were pulled so tight that they are inside the leather. ) Should I be worried about the exposed stitches?

18. red81

red81 Well-Known Member

any negatives about storing my ae's in plastic tupperware style shoe boxes?

19. Numbernine

Numbernine Well-Known Member

I would not store shoes in an environment that prevents the circulation of air this would encourage the growth of mold for one thing

20. GMMcL

GMMcL Well-Known Member

Thanks. I will give that a try. Interestingly, the shoes in question are a pair of Lloyd & Haug PTB v-cleats, from the 1980s or, more likely, much older, and look very much like the ones you're wearing. They were completely unworn when I found them.