1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. JermynStreet

JermynStreet Well-Known Member

Or, in other words, money well spent. [​IMG]

2. phototristan

phototristan Well-Known Member

Anyone use Collonil products? I recently tried some of their leather conditioner cream and was impressed.

3. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Well-Known Member

On a similar topic, is it just me, or do "cheap" shoes nowadays look far worse on average than they did even just a few years ago? I am fully aware that I may just be used to seeing nice shoes and can't see past them, but periodically I will walk through regular shoe stores at the mall or department stores just for fun, and I really think that the shoe industry is becoming more polarized. Cheap shoes seem to be getting worse, only reinforcing the cost-effectiveness of decently constructed shoes.

I look at other men around me who are wearing dress shoes that are clearly cemented average department store quality leather shoes, but they don't look that bad per se. They are usually black or dark brown, have a decent shine, and have all leather soles. They just aren't high-end shoes. I used to wear them too. I don't tend to see these types of shoes at stores anymore.

I have a pair of shoes in a box in my closet that I keep for fun that I've had since I was 18 years old. They are bench-made, from Spain, deerskin, leather soles and heels with rubber inserts. They are Blake stitched. I bought them at a shoe store that carries shoes of average quality, and I paid an average price for them. I wore them for about 12 years as my Sunday and dressy occasion shoes. They still have their original soles, and the uppers are still in great condition. During the same time frame, I also had a pair of brown Bostonians made from some corrected grain leather, but they sure didn't look like plastic. They had cemented leather soles with full rubber heels. They were made in Italy, and were average quality shoes found at average department stores.

Now, however, there seems to be this huge void between the lowest cost high-end shoes (Allen Edmonds, Cheaney, Loake 1880, etc.) and "cheap" shoes. Johnston and Murphy and Cole-Haan make a few models that may still fit into that middle-ground category, but they charge as much as you would pay for a pair of Allen Edmonds seconds, and they are far inferior in quality.

If I go down to my local Macy's right now, I'll find Bostonians, Stacy Adams, Florsheims, and a few Italian named shoes. They will be absolutely horrible looking, and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have even given them a second glance even before I knew what a nice shoe was. They truely do look like they have a plastic coating on them if they are in fact made from leather, which most aren't. Most have a synthetic "looks like leather" sole that is made of some leather colored laboratory product.

4. Munky

Munky Well-Known Member

The 'fit' issue can be a complicated one. The most comfortable 'shoes' I have had (and I am on my second pair) are Nike Air-Max. They are recommended by osteopathic surgeons for those with chronic back pain. This is an example, perhaps, of how excellence in fit doesn't automatically come with 'good' shoes. This is not, particularly, an endorsement of Nike trainers, nor a buying suggestion for people on this site, but just a point about fit and comfort.

5. David Copeland

David Copeland Well-Known Member

Originally from Newport Beach - Now living in West
    Thank you for your comment.

I would also add that many biographies of well-to-do folks place as much importance, if not more, on the choices of styling their hair with little regard to costs. A good looking hair style/cut is probably the first area of a gaze before heading downward from the neck to shoes. It's all important.

My employer, when interviewing prospective candidates for positions, would judge each portion of an applicant's care of themselves toward the care they would provide to our clients and how they would care for the relationships of colleagues.

David

6. MoneyWellSpent

I agree that these incidental effects can take place when wearing nicer attire of any sort.

7. MoneyWellSpent

Fair enough. Apparently Cole-Haan uses some Nike Air technology in some of their "dress" shoes. [​IMG] Trainers aside, I'd go out on a limb and say that you have a better chance of a well fitting shoe by going high-end rather than with average department store brands.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2013
  8. David Copeland

There is a nice video I posted in a previous link on Pre-Maintenance: CLICK HERE

9. Munky

Munky Well-Known Member

Yes, I agree that - trainers apart- it is likely that good shoes are likely to fit better than cheap ones. What I would do, though, is leave the door open on the issue. A certain type of cheap shoe might fit very well. Overall, though, the generalisation holds.

10. David Copeland

I have seen collections of 90 pairs of high quality shoes, boots, and loafers - all in Calfskin - by some who began rotating their items after they started with just a few in the early years. They have never chosen shell, have kept their calfskins in excellent condition, and have used the savings of Calfskin to purchase newer styles over the years. Shell will probably last many generations after you are dead. If you take care of the calfskin version, you may be pleased.

On the other hand, I have seen some pretty impressive shines in Shell that calfskin may never be able to match. Perhaps a mix of both would be good.

David

11. NeedStyleHelp

NeedStyleHelp Well-Known Member

Thanks, David! I like the video.

Do you, or others, have any thoughts on using a neutral cream polish (saphir MDO) instead of a colour one?

12. JermynStreet

I wouldn't be taking advice from an osteopathic surgeon-they practice interior medicine. Did you mean orthopedic surgeon?

13. MoneyWellSpent

Could be either one. Osteopathic surgeons are simply surgeons who went to an Osteopathic medical school rather than a traditional one. They practice Osteopathic medicine, which is a more holistic approach to healthcare. Any branch of medical practice, including Orthopedic surgery, may have Osteopathic doctors or surgeons. Using shoes to help back pain would definitely fall in line with Osteopathic approaches.

I'm not trying to put words in Munky's mouth though.

14. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

Is that the difference between a DO and an MD?

15. MoneyWellSpent

Yep.

16. JermynStreet

Ah, yes. I didn't mean to offend any of the osteopaths or osteopathic surgeons on this thread. I just figured he meant orthopedic surgeon because they typically with bones and ligament stress. Of course, I forgot that an osteopath could have done a residency in orthopedic surgery, in which case they would be an osteopathic orthopedic surgeon. I've said too much...

17. MoneyWellSpent

If you have offended any Osteopathic Orthopedic Surgeons in this thread, you'd better start playing the lottery! The chances of that are quite remote I'd imagine. [​IMG]

18. glenjay

glenjay Well-Known Member

I would say that a higher-end shoe that fits very well to begin with, would tend to fit very well much longer than a cheap shoe that fits very well to begin with (in regard to leather shoes).

19. glenjay

My wife considers my shoe collection a liability. :)

20. glenjay

duplicate liability post, sorry.