1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. patrick_b

patrick_b Well-Known Member

When they were still fairly new, I used wax to give them a mirror toe but decided against keeping them that way as it made them harder to dress down. It's certainly possible but IMO shell looks better with very little wax. Just my opinion of course.

I didn't strip the wax from that little experiment last fall so its certainly possible that there is still a fair amount of wax on the cap. I applied a couple coats of Renovateur (which certainly removed some wax) and then brushed the mirror away. In present condition (as shown in the apron images above) they now work well with a SC and wool trousers and chinos or denim.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  2. Lear

Lear Well-Known Member

Patrick_b & Gerry Nelson: I now feel it doesn't work for chelsea boots. You end up with too much of a strict dividing line between between wrinkled and smooth leather. Also, on those black pics above, the rest of the boot is simply too dry to contrast well. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, it was merely an experiment. However, I very much like the way Crat manages a fading/blending in of the mirror on just the tip of the toecap. Nice :slayer:

The whiskey RMW boots (same treatment) are now back to having just RMW saddle dressing. Not a drop of hard or soft wax. I like the look of sunlight + heat on bare leather. You see, it isn't all about mirror shining.

Having said that, I like the look of a mirrored cap-toe. That simple row of stitches gives my eager finger permission to shine. The pics of Patrick_b's Alden boots are some of the best in this thread. Shiny or matt, they're Great.

Off-topic: That's it, I've given up on wearing fine leather in salty/slushy conditions. This is where corrected grain shines. I have a pair of ugly Mephisto shoes that seem impervious to this corrosive stuff. Give them a quick swipe of Danner shoe gunk and I'm ready to go. I'll post some nightmare inducing pics.

Lear (heading down the Vass/Carmina cordovan route)

3. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Well-Known Member

Thanks for that Patrick. I might put a little on the DCL's but I'll leave the Aldens alone

4. patrick_b

patrick_b Well-Known Member

Lear,
    I couldn't agree more. I remember stopping by a shine booth at the airport in DC many years ago and the guy produced an amazing mirror shine on my black calf cap toe shoes. At the time, I thought one needed a lifetime of experience to replicate such a great shine. I think what you showed me in those early attempts with the RMW boots was that a mirror polish was attainable by the average joe. It just takes a little knowledge, a lot of work and even more trial and error.

Upon starting this journey I wanted to mirror polish everything. I put a close-to-mirror toe on both of my yearling RMW Craftsman boots. I would have tried to mirror polish our dog if he'd stay still long enough.

For reference: Brutus the dog

[​IMG]

Like a kid playing with a new toy, I went a bit overboard. However, all that experimenting was the trial and error that eventually showed me what works and what doesn't. My RMW boots now get the occasional coat of RMW's leather conditioner. I prefer the matte finish a lot of my shoes, including dress shoes. I have three pair of shell shoes & boots in the rotation and find they look their best with very little product. They get plenty of *care* just minimal products. Brush 99% of the time and Renovateur only if they need it.

The mirror has its place and when done right it can really stand out. IMO, a shoe like these inexpensive AE bluchers are a good candidate for the mirror toe.

[​IMG]

5. JermynStreet

JermynStreet Well-Known Member

Stunning. A museum quality shine. Almost just makes you want to not wear them.

6. JermynStreet

JermynStreet Well-Known Member

Very handsome apron. I picked up this one from Filson and finds that it also works well. It doesn't look nearly as good as yours, though.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. DrZeus

DrZeus Active Member

[​IMG]

I prefer one of these baby's

1 person likes this.
  8. Lear

Lear Well-Known Member

@ Patrick_B: RMW Saddle Dressing is great stuff. I swear that once 'baked' onto natural looking leather gives a nice aged look. You retain all that lovely grain with a slight patina to boot. Any creases - problematic when covered in hard wax - simply create even more character. I've taken to leaving out the purpose bought RMW boot trees. Anything for more character.

Give the Saddle Dressing a try on your more casual footwear. More like a hard butter than Renovateur, but tastes disgusting on toast.

Nice dog. Where have all the cute cuddly dogs in London gone?

Lear

9. B-Rogue

B-Rogue Well-Known Member

Does anyone have an opinion on how La Cordonnerie Anglaise and Saphir Renovator Creams compare to each other?

10. GothamRed

GothamRed Well-Known Member

I believe LCA creams are just rebranded Saphir.

1 person likes this.
  11. B-Rogue

B-Rogue Well-Known Member

@RedDevil10: Thank you. [​IMG]

Another question if I may guys:

I've got a pair of Loake Victor in tan
    [​IMG]

Would the Light Brown Saphir Pommadier Cream be ok for these or should I go for the neutral version instead?

EDIT: Not quite sure why it shows as a link rather than a picture in here. [​IMG]

12. GothamRed

GothamRed Well-Known Member

1 person likes this.
  13. OzzyJones

Passable shine in the wild
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  14. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Well-Known Member

I think that's more than just passable ...

15. OzzyJones

Thanks! They're pretty new and are only now starting to take polish properly

16. Lear

Lear Well-Known Member

More lovely goop. It's like a thick grease. Comes out as very dark (almost black) blue. Dries as black. Perfect for corrected grain and other horrible snow/slush shoes.

[​IMG]

17. tcideneb

tcideneb Well-Known Member

Hi, question on polishing brushes. Does one need a separate brush to clean and remove excess cream? So basically 2 brushes for each coloured shoe? Or is it ok to use the same brush to clean / remove dirt and to remove excess cream?

Thank you

18. chogall

chogall Well-Known Member

I have three stiff brushes uses to wipe off dirt and debris and three horsehair brushes for buffing. One set for black, one set for mid colored shoes, and one set for light color shoes.

Honestly speaking, you shouldn't need separate sets of brushes for dark brown, oxblood, and vintage rosewood shoes...

Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
  19. nickrut

nickrut Well-Known Member

How much more effective is something like Saphir Reno than a Leather Lotion from Allen Edmonds? I know that's tough to answer, but if Saphir is like a 10, what would the AE rank? Trying to decide if it's worth the price hike. Then again, for what I'm paying for shoes, probably so.

20. OzzyJones

I wonder about this too. I like the Reno but at what point does the cost/benefit ratio start going off? I do find it funny though when people will happily drop hundreds per pair on shoes but balk at a tiny fraction of that for the stuff to help make sure they last