• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

flaticius

Reaction score
Oh great masters of shoe care, If you could help me...

Any ideas how can I clear out the creasings and make the finish even somehow on these shoes? I have these for quite a long time and those black creasings drive me crazy.

http://i.imgur.com/7hQaZ.jpg

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
RE: Brushes, I like the big 8" brushes. I bought an 8" brush at a Florsheim shop somewhere around 1995 and love it. It's big and broken in so nicely, meaning the wood handle is worn smooth and the bristles are so soft that it just works well.

I recently found two vintage 8" Florsheim brushes on ebay that are also about 20 yrs old. I found the new ones from Florsheim and companies like AE don't seem to work as well. I'm not sure if they just need to break in and soften up but it sure seems like a well worn brush works better. I took patrick Booth's advice and cleaned them with dawn dish detergent

I use one for dark colors and one for light colors. For instance, the brush I use for #8 and dark brown has also been used for black. Lighter browns have a separate brush. I've never seen much transfer of color from the brush but I don't use a lot of paste wax and I don't use it all that frequently. A little goes a long way.

In the following image, the three large brushes are used for dark colors, light colors and one for cleaning. The smaller AE brush is for Obenauf on work boots (which is never used on dress shoes). The other small AE brush is for salt removal.

I'm sure this is overkill and I think all you really need is one for polishing dress shoes and another for use with conditioners like HDLP.

Last edited:

bik2101

Reaction score
How easy would it be to remove heel guards? Or should I bring the shoes to a cobbler?

Sent from my Rezound using Tapatalk 2

mcbrown

Reaction score
A question on treating NOS shoes...

I recently acquired a pair of vintage Florsheims in true NOS condition (see picture). These are on the 5 nail, V-cleat sole, so I'd guess they are at least 30 years old, possibly 40+.

How should I prep them for "normal" usage after 30-40 years of sitting around doing nothing? I have applied renovateur to the uppers, but should I worry about the linings and soles as well? If so, what in particular can/should I do for the soles, considering that they still have the factory finish on them and will not easily absorb conditioner?

Or should I not worry about it and just wear them?

mymil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've used Lexol on the lining of shoes to make sure they're conditioned, too---I know others do, too. I think pB might use Obenauf's? It can only help to condition all of the leather components of your NOS before wearing them, which includes both the lining and the sole. Dried out soles can crack! I really like Obenauf's for soles. If you warm it up a little as you apply it (I just use the friction of the rag on the leather for this), it will absorb better. Just be sure you allow all the conditioner on the lining to completely soak in, otherwise it'll rub off on your socks!

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yeah, I use obaneufs on the soles and the inside. I find their heavy duty LP to be a little too much for dress shoes. I love their leather oil, which is the same ingredients just with less beeswax to be great for the soles and lining. When I do the insides I take out the shoe trees and apply it, the next day I put the trees back in.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Oh great masters of shoe care, If you could help me...

Any ideas how can I clear out the creasings and make the finish even somehow on these shoes? I have these for quite a long time and those black creasings drive me crazy.

http://i.imgur.com/7hQaZ.jpg

I would try to use a conditioner to clear them out. I would put trees in them and try rubbing a bit hard with a rag and either some renovateur, or lexol conditioner. After that, maybe a little bit of pigmented shoe cream in a close shade to the shoes.

Gilmour

Reaction score
Ok at risk of being hung drawn and quartered here but here goes

I have Hugo Boss leather jacket made of really soft quite thin Italian Nappa leather do you think it would be ok to use Saphir Renovator on this or is it the wrong type of Reno to use ??

cbfn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would personally not waste so much reno on a jacket. I would advise you to try out Lexol Conditioner.

bitesize

Reaction score
I've read through much of this, but it's all quite a lot to take in. This is my first time here, so thanks in advance for being gentle.

I'm getting my first pair of shoes worth caring for, the Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot in Brown. I'm curious what is important for my shoe care "starter kit" to best care for these boots (and provide the foundation for more purchases as I get more adventurous). Based on what I've read, I'm thinking a good place to start might be:

AE Horsehair Dauber
AE Horsehair Shine Brush
AE Cotton Flannel Polishing Cloth x2
AE Conditioner/Cleaner
AE Combination Cedar Shoe Trees
Kiwi Brown Paste Polish
Atsko Sno-Seal Wax
Lexol Leather Cleaner

Given that I'm in NYC and don't have a wide variety in my collection, the boots would get heavy use. My understanding is that I should wipe them down with a barely moist cloth and give a quick dry brush whenever I get home, and maybe once every couple of weeks, condition, shine, and use the sno-seal to protect the sole and sole stitching. Then every 2-3 months, use the Lexol to remove all of the wax buildup and rejuvenate the leather. Did I get that right?

What's your take on this "starter kit"? Is any kind of waterproofing spray useful or necessary?

Last edited:

benhour

Reaction score
I would personally not waste so much reno on a jacket. I would advise you to try out Lexol Conditioner.
totally agree! there would be no problem to use it but i think with lexol u ll be ok!!

bitesize: it doesnt have to be from AE(they are rebranded collonil) any horse hair brush-dauber ll be ok!! personaly i dont recommend kiwi cause they are silicon based!!
use some more beeswax based products!!(saphir-collonil etc ll be great)

Last edited:

cbfn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've read through much of this, but it's all quite a lot to take in. This is my first time here, so thanks in advance for being gentle.

I'm getting my first pair of shoes worth caring for, the Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot in Brown. I'm curious what is important for my shoe care "starter kit" to best care for these boots (and provide the foundation for more purchases as I get more adventurous). Based on what I've read, I'm thinking a good place to start might be:

AE Horsehair Dauber
AE Horsehair Shine Brush
AE Cotton Flannel Polishing Cloth x2
AE Conditioner/Cleaner
AE Combination Cedar Shoe Trees
Kiwi Brown Paste Polish
Atsko Sno-Seal Wax
Lexol Leather Cleaner

Given that I'm in NYC and don't have a wide variety in my collection, the boots would get heavy use. My understanding is that I should wipe them down with a barely moist cloth and give a quick dry brush whenever I get home, and maybe once every couple of weeks, condition, shine, and use the sno-seal to protect the sole and sole stitching. Then every 2-3 months, use the Lexol to remove all of the wax buildup and rejuvenate the leather. Did I get that right?

What's your take on this "starter kit"? Is any kind of waterproofing spray useful or necessary?

The Wolverine 1k boots are beautiful, but they are made of the lovely chromexcel leather which is a pull-up leather. Hence, the leather will scuff easily but it will be able to buff out. However, it will be difficult to polish these to a good shine, but I think the ruggedness of the boot is not pairable with high shine. After using Obenauf's Heavy Duty LP on some of my boots and seeing Crane's (check out his excellent threads over on Streetwear & Denim) method for applying Sno-Seal it, I would say that's all you need. The Lexol cleaner should be used very sparingly, and only when you have serious stain issues.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads