1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Official RRL Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, May 21, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Kensington

Kensington Well-Known Member

Ha! I like to think that my ties are tasteful even though they're on the skinny side. I've seen even skinnier ones sold at trendy/fast fashion types of stores that look ridiculous. Even J Crew went overboard with the skinny lapels and ties at some point.

And yeah I know the fit overall is very good. I own one RRL madras blazer but I don't own a full suit yet. I was tempted to get a charcoal three piece during the last winter sale that looked amazing.

I wonder why RRL braces are so skinny (which I love) but they still make their lapels and ties really wide most of the time. I've passed up so many ties with amazing fabrics and patterns because they were too wide for me. :(

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Jagger_On

Jagger_On Well-Known Member

I think you're over thinking the braces. They're a standard width and the RRL ones I own aren't any skinnier than any other brand. Any wider and they wouldn't look right. Plus they aren't meant to be seen although it can look good sometimes when they are on show but the look needs to be really casual. There's a great pic from the FW13 Nigel Cabourn lookbook that does this with a big chunky roll neck.

For some reason I've never bought any RRL ties but agree that some of the fabrics are really nice. I found the length too short for me and the size of the knot too small. Having said that the knot is the perfect size for the point collar RRL shirts they sell in store. I just found that wearing a RRL suit with the shirts and ties they do just a little too costumey. One piece on its own is great but all three was just a bit too much 1930s prohibition era gangster. Which is obviously the planned look but, you know...

3. Kensington

RRL braces are definitely on the thin side. Both of mine measure 1" width. Often times they're 1.5" and 2". It doesn't sound like much of a difference but 2" can look like wearing a seatbelt.

[​IMG]

What do you mean they're not meant to be seen? They're just the predecessor to belts. I wear mine all the time whether I'm dressed casually or wearing a tie and blazer. How do you usually wear them?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  4. Kensington

5. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Well-Known Member

A lot of my RRL pieces (indigo cardigan, wool cardigan, cashmere sweater, henley) are black. They all look great. I chose the black cotton indigo piece this past weekend over grey as the black just looked better and more versatile. I'll wear it with chinos, henleys and cxl boots this spring...

1 person likes this.
  6. randomkoreandude

randomkoreandude Well-Known Member

are people sizing down for outerwear or sticking with shirt size? i typically have gone down to XS for outerwear in RRL and stick to smalls for shirts now

7. randomkoreandude

just got my STF's in the mail. havent tried on or soaked yet but ill take before and after pics

still need to do a comparison of the RRL officers and the olive green herringbones

1 person likes this.
  8. hoit1981

hoit1981 Well-Known Member

I've got an unvented RRL Harris Tweed grey herringbone sports jacket from the Left Bank collection (from a few years ago). It has wide lapels and it fucking rocks. I am 6"2 and 225lb so my build might have something to do with it. Generally I would wear it with a 3 - 3.25" tie, so not skinny but not fat like a kipper. I love a wide lapel personally. Took a while to get used to no vents, but now I am I generally like to wear single vented suits & sport jackets.

9. jp2k1

jp2k1 Well-Known Member

The black indigo V neck cardigan is a great piece. There are hints of dark blue everywhere. It is very nicely done. The blue will probably show more with wear. Thats one of the reasons I bought the new black and blue indigo jeans. Usually, I do not buy pre faded jeans and stick to rigids and do the breaking in myself but these look much better in person than the studio pictures, which fail to show the beautiful black and blue combo. Perhaps theyll make some denim and chore jackets in this color combo

10. jp2k1

jp2k1 Well-Known Member

Their sizing is a bit erratic. I think it really depends on the type of outerwear and even what season its for. Denim jkts, leather jkts, i wear medium. Overcoats, heavy winter outerwear, i wear small.

1 person likes this.
  11. misterjuiceman

misterjuiceman Well-Known Member

I've been buying the same size in RRL for everything, but it all fits completely differently. The pieces could potentially be made in completely different factories, and since the pieces are either loose reproductions of older pieces, or at the very least inspired by them, they can all have different intended fits. My RRL jeans from a few years back even fit differently in the same cut with different washes.

1 person likes this.
  12. potemkin_city_limits

potemkin_city_limits Well-Known Member

13. potemkin_city_limits

I love the lapel width on the RRL suits. The general rule with lapels is that they are supposed to be half as wide as the space between the collar and the shoulder and from the looks of the photos Ive seen they are bang on. The skinny lapels are a fairly trendy thing these days but give it a few years and wider lapels will definitely be the norm.

I prefer a single vent on a jacket rather than a double. Im not sure why but double vents have never worked for me. I have a black moleskin Klaxon Howl suit that is based on a 30s style and it has no vent which was more typical for suits of that era. I also have the same pants and matching vest in a grey herringbone wool but they sold out of the jacket before I could get one in my size so Im going to get one next time they make them.

[​IMG]

14. EstCstGhst

EstCstGhst Member

What season are the olive herringbones from? I don't recall seeing these.

15. randomkoreandude

last year fw13

they werent online

16. captainshields

captainshields Well-Known Member

17. jp2k1

jp2k1 Well-Known Member

I just have one rule- wear it as long as the piece/cut looks good on you.

1 person likes this.
  18. potemkin_city_limits

Oh for sure thats definitely the number one rule. I remember someone posted a photo of themselves the other day wearing tapered jeans saying how his friend convinced him that tapered jeans were a good idea but on his particular body they looked so off. Some people can pull off really wide leg pants, others can pull off slim pants and look totally normal.

There are still visual elements that I find appealing even if its not on my body for instance that photo of the RRL suit to me is exactly how I would like a suit to look. For all I know I could put that jacket on and realize that my huge Scottish head looks ridiculous with the wide lapels though.

1 person likes this.
  19. 00bam

00bam Well-Known Member

anyone know what season the midland straight leg jeans were? just curious...hopefully they bring them back again

20. blufox

blufox Active Member

Low Straight Midland Denim is online right now.