• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

srgprod

Reaction score

Thanks for the picture. They really just started to do this. Non-selvedge colored denim at full price. As I understand it this was not a cost saving measure; but an attempt to make a higher grade pant. Apparently there' was a big uproar from the guys at the retail level. Most people think that at that price, these jeans would be selvedge.

I would expect the folks buying these jeans don't even look and some wouldn't give a ****. I think they should have lowered the price. They certainly have room to do that even if the lower price competes with other jeans in their line. They'll probably blow this inventory out soon. They're still great pants though.

misterjuiceman

Reaction score
Thanks for the picture. They really just started to do this. Non-selvedge colored denim at full price. As I understand it this was not a cost saving measure; but an attempt to make a higher grade pant. Apparently there' was a big uproar from the guys at the retail level. Most people think that at that price, these jeans would be selvedge.
I would expect the folks buying these jeans don't even look and some wouldn't give a ****. I think they should have lowered the price. They certainly have room to do that even if the lower price competes with other jeans in their line. They'll probably blow this inventory out soon. They're still great pants though.
how does it make a higher grade pant? Is the base price of the jean cheaper since it's non-selvedge, and then they can do more with it? I'd honestly rather see them charge even more and have selvedge, if that's what it takes, but really for $380 it should be selvedge.

Dave_SFU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They would be great pants if they were what I thought I was ordering. I wouldnt have bought these knowing what they are now

misterjuiceman

Reaction score
Made in the USA of Imported Fabrics says the tag. Doesnt say anything about Japanese denim
Usually it says on the pocket that it's Japanese denim, if you look on the inside. Are the pockets completely blank?

Last edited:

srgprod

Reaction score

how does it make a higher grade pant? Is the base price of the jean cheaper since it's non-selvedge, and then they can do more with it? I'd honestly rather see them charge even more and have selvedge, if that's what it takes, but really for $380 it should be selvedge.

They are always experimenting. Trying out new designs, new construction methods, etc. I was told that the denim used was from the same Japanese suppliers they always used except it was non-selvedge. Selvedge material is not better or worse just cause it has a selvedge line. That's a traditional method of manufacture from smaller looms. Not better or worse.

It's interesting that selvedge has become this standard of higher quality. Marketing hype in my opinion. It probably costs a few cents more per yard to produce. The looms however are rare and expensive. They don't in and of themselves produce better material. Highest quality denim can be made w.out the selvedge line using natural dyes, smaller production and more attention to the weave and processing. The trick for RRL is to sell jeans for over $ 300 a pair that aren't selvedge. Gap makes good quality selvedge jeans that sell for under $ 50 for instance.

misterjuiceman

Reaction score
They are always experimenting. Trying out new designs, new construction methods, etc. I was told that the denim used was from the same Japanese suppliers they always used except it was non-selvedge. Selvedge material is not better or worse just cause it has a selvedge line. That's a traditional method of manufacture from smaller looms. Not better or worse.
It's interesting that selvedge has become this standard of higher quality. Marketing hype in my opinion. It probably costs a few cents more per yard to produce. The looms however are rare and expensive. They don't in and of themselves produce better material. Highest quality denim can be made w.out the selvedge line using natural dyes, smaller production and more attention to the weave and processing. The trick for RRL is to sell jeans for over $ 300 a pair that aren't selvedge. Gap makes good quality selvedge jeans that sell for under $ 50 for instance.
I think if you have two pairs denim that are identical except for the fact that one is selvedge and one isn't, the selvedge wins out. I just prefer the look of it and the principle of it. It's not exactly rational, but not much in fashion is. I've bought six or seven pairs of RRL, all selvedge, just doesn't sit right for me that it's suddenly not anymore. Now on the same note, for chinos and other non-denim pants, I don't really care if it's selvedge or not. It's just a jean thing.

Last edited:

srgprod

Reaction score

I think if you have two pairs denim that are identical except for the fact that one is selvedge and one isn't, the selvedge wins out. I just prefer the look of it and the principle of it. It's not exactly rational, but not much in fashion is. I've bought six or seven pairs of RRL, all selvedge, just doesn't sit right for me that it's suddenly not anymore. Now on the same note, for chinos and other non-denim pants, I don't really care if it's selvedge or not. It's just a jean thing.

I agree. Well said!

When I go to the Levis store, I always see the sales people checking for that selvedge line. Kind of funny but that's where the bar is set. Selvedge, non-selvedge.

Dave_SFU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Usually it says on the pocket that it's Japanese denim, if you look on the inside. Are the pockets completely blank?

No the pocket that usually says "From the finest quality Japanese selvedge denim" now says "From the finest woven denim". If its imported and not listed as being Japanese i want to know where its coming from

Dave_SFU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I agree. Well said!
When I go to the Levis store, I always see the sales people checking for that selvedge line. Kind of funny but that's where the bar is set. Selvedge, non-selvedge.

Just my personal preference since i know the quality isnt the issue between the two, but when I cuff my jeans I think it looks awful as non selvedge denim.

srgprod

Reaction score

Just my personal preference since i know the quality isnt the issue between the two, but when I cuff my jeans I think it looks awful as non selvedge denim.

Yeah. It doesn't look as good. Even those weird lines from Lee (one sided), Paul Smith (rainbow), PRPS (blue or green) make me feel better.

ispace

Reaction score
Fail RRL

RRL CLOTHING

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If RRL isn't making selvedge jeans it's to save money, period. Just like they stopped most of their selvedge oxfords and workshirts and kept the price point the same.

I have some women's RRL jeans I bought recently that were very distressed but the MSRP was only $360, at that price, to make that level of distress they had to cut corners somewhere, and they aren't selvedge. Also bought her a pair of "vintage rinse" raw skinny stretch jeans this weekend and they were in fact selvedge and a very great fit I might add.

If you look at other expensive jeans (D&G, Dior, Gucci) that retail for $600-1k you will find most models aren't selvedge, most Diesel are made in 3rd world countries at a $300 price point and never selvedge, but still great quality in general. For $380 you shouldn't automatically expect selvedge from a big name fashion designer.

Selvedge doesn't mean better quality but it does mean more labor and cost involved which justifies paying higher prices. It's also something strictly for the purist, much like run-off chainstitching on those chambrays that some people like to wear proudly like a gold medal.

Last edited:

ExhibitA

Reaction score
funny you mentioned D&G jeans... just saw a pair in Nordstrom's that were the quality of Bugle Boy jeans by the touch, but had an interesting distressed look. The cost was a little under $600. My guess was the cost is due to the weathering on the jeans for the worn look and the D&G metal emblem on the back pocket. I checked the seams and they were not selvedge denim at all. I was quite shocked by this actually.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads