1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Official RRL Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, May 21, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Kensington

Kensington Well-Known Member

The basic design of that varsity jacket has been repeated many times by RRL. First impressions in this thread stated this seasons version looks better than last seasons which was a light brown color and had a circular patch with an indian head in it.

I had a particular interest in the piece because I always wanted a varsity jacket. I like that RRL's version is an even more old fashioned style with patch pockets and buttons as opposed to slit pockets and a zipper or snap buttons most newer versions have. However I think it's very overpriced considering it's a wool and nylon blend. I like the "bad luck" motif of the jacket with the black cat and number 13.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  2. Baldomero

Baldomero Well-Known Member

I think if I was to get a varsity jacket repro I'd want leather sleeves. But the bad luck idea was very cool.

3. somatoform

somatoform Well-Known Member

I'm an XL in both brands but refuse to buy Jcrew anymore until they clean up their patterns. Here's what I find. Jcrew necks are just too big, and, I'm getting technical here, the armscye is off. That's basically the seam where the arm/shoulder meets the chest, or across the chest between the neck and pit to pit. There are inches of difference between the two brands on this measurement, resulting in a RRL fit which is near perfect and a jcrew fit with an arm opening seam which protrudes too far out onto the shoulder and not more closer to the chest and under the pit where it belongs.

All in all RRL xl fits great; Jcrew xl fits poorly in every xl I've bought. Pity because I do like some of their shirts, but these ill-fitting specs are not alterable, not as far as I know.

4. hoit1981

hoit1981 Well-Known Member

^ I still find most RRL flannels are cut too long though. I probably wouldn't care if I tucked them in, but I don't and probably never will. I have resorted to getting the length shortened at a tailor so no real biggie. All other measurements are spot on.

5. blankinput

blankinput Active Member

Anyone need measurements of the Redford vest? Still getting familiar with RRL sizing so I have a S, M, and L on the way. Let me know.

6. Kensington

Kensington Well-Known Member

I think varsity jackets used to be more like sweaters initially. The later ones started using leather sleeves. The description states it's a 1930's era varsity.

RRL has done a few with leather sleeves as well which are quite nice.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There's currently a listing for that second one on ebay in size Large.

7. barrettdudley

barrettdudley Well-Known Member

I think, as has been stated, the styling on this particular varsity is really nice.

Also, I'm not always a huge fan of the patches and other flare on RRL pieces; it reminds me too much of Abercrombie.
    In this case, however, I love the patch. The black cat for some reason just strikes a note for me.

It's just a really cool piece.

8. ChasingBobby

ChasingBobby Well-Known Member

Thanks Buddy!

I could see its a nice looking piece..however like you said..it is def. overpriced for nylon and wool blend...I could see it with leather sleeves for that price...Also notice how the RRL varsity is more evasive as compared to RL rugby with the "RL" patchs and design all over....

9. Teger

Teger Well-Known Member

what did you think about it? warm/good fit? is the leather patch tacky? looking for a good casual winter jacket.

10. stevent

stevent Well-Known Member

11. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

i think that one was available since yesterday

12. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Well-Known Member

The "Shaker" wool cardigan isn't included the sale, right? I saw a black version in store that I will likely buy

13. Saturdays

Saturdays Well-Known Member

Yup. I saw it up again yesterday after it was oos.

I just bought the slim-fit cords in navy, and the blue label navy fair isle cardigan w/ the suede elbow patches

First pair of cords I've purchased since 2001, let's hope I like it.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
  14. Teger

Teger Well-Known Member

that jacket is fucking awful and the price is a joke

15. randomkoreandude

randomkoreandude Well-Known Member

FYI club monaco (parent company RL) also has a VERY overpriced varsity but is more reasonable if you can use your student id. quality would not be much different from the varsity here. also wouldnt have the bad luck motif patching

16. hoodyear

hoodyear Well-Known Member

^ CM varsity is excluded from the discount.

Edit: but the 15% newsletter coupon works. Go figure.

17. Saturdays

Saturdays Well-Known Member

I'm still rocking my RL Rugby one with the indian head. The thing brand new was like >$800 but I ended up getting that during the shutdown for ~$250.

Also if you want an overpriced varsity jacket, look no further: http://www.jpressonline.com/varsity-jacket-with-rings-hunter-green/

18. randomkoreandude

randomkoreandude Well-Known Member

19. RRL CLOTHING

RRL CLOTHING Well-Known Member

Club Monaco reminds me a lot of Jcrew. Even the website looks almost like a clone of each other.

20. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Well-Known Member

I prefer them logoless (unless the logo has some meaning to me)

This one looks cool (I have no idea if this jacket is quality or worth the price - I like Gant Rugger shirts though)

http://us.gant.com/the-homerun-celestial-blue