1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Official RRL Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, May 21, 2009.

Tags:
  1. 00bam

00bam Well-Known Member

i will say the china made polos from ralph lauren seem to be more comfortable at the top unlike the sri lanka polos where they seem to small/tight at the top

2. slide13

slide13 Well-Known Member

After getting into nicer clothes I quickly go to the point where I wouldn't even look at things made in China as I thought they would always be inferior to US or Japanese counterparts. RRL Officer Chinos changed that for me. I had the chance to check them out in person and as soon as I did I realized that China can produce something just as good as anyone else. The officer chinos are truly fantastic both in materials and construction, they are better built than my US made RRL jeans or any of the other brands of US made chinos I've ever handled. I have a few RRL shirts as well and they are very nice. I have seen some that were sub-par, mostly due to too much distressing that left holes in the fabric (seen on at least three RRL shirts I can recall...all were purchased and returned to the online store during their big sales). The few I have bought and kept are great though and get lots of wear next to my Gitmans, Mister Freedom, Post O'alls, and EG shirts.

3. zippyh

zippyh Well-Known Member

You should try an XL.
    If it's anything like the indian head one from last year, it runs on the big.

4. subdivide

subdivide Well-Known Member

You will say that... regardless of it being neither edifying nor relevant.

5. subdivide

subdivide Well-Known Member

Word is born.

6. edubs01

edubs01 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
  7. urbanwoodsman

urbanwoodsman Well-Known Member

"...Tweed pants are too geriatric for my tastes." I guess the implication being that you would, in fact, spend $490.00 on pants -- just not standard-issue geriatric ones. Good for you.

Not sure what part of what I said can be construed as China-bashing. I merely stated that I wouldn't purchase $490.00 pants -- or, if we're to be specific, bottoms -- made in Southeast Asia. It has less to do with quality and more to do with labor conditions. A bit overly enthused to protect the Chinese-made throne, eh?

Who (or what) is SilvioB?

8. jet

jet Well-Known Member

lol @ $490 MIC pants

9. Dave_SFU

Dave_SFU Well-Known Member

Pretty sure all of us have fancy $600 iPhones (or similar) that were Made in China and nobody is complaining.

1 person likes this.
  10. jet

jet Well-Known Member

well yes because they're certainly related :lol:

11. RRL CLOTHING

RRL CLOTHING Well-Known Member

Or that their GM/Hyundai that is filled with 80% cheap Chinese components...

Pretty sure people don't care where it's made when they get those big discounts. You don't have a problem with Made in China when it's cheap or on clearance and would buy those pants in a second if they hit your outlet for $75, but if you can't afford it everyone has to hear about how it's suddenly overpriced Chinese garbage.

Silvio is the guy with 15000fb who sells RRL @70-80% off to everyone on the forums. I'm sure he'll have those Chinese tweed pants listed for $99 in no time.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  12. jet

jet Well-Known Member

Now you're catching on, that's called value my friend.

13. RRL CLOTHING

Value is out the window when discussing overpriced, luxury, Designer clothing.

Lets get real, a pair of $50 Levis STF will probably outlast a pair of TR jeans that cost $320 made in LA. This has never ever been about quality.

Like I said, if those pants came from Italy for $500 he would not buy them either. The truth is when it's out of someone's budget they hate on RRL and find reasons to bash it.

That is all.

14. jet

jet Well-Known Member

15. urbanwoodsman

urbanwoodsman Well-Known Member

Ha! You paint with a broad brush, my friend: "...if you can't afford it everyone has to hear about how it's suddenly overpriced Chinese garbage."

I missed the part where I said that. And yes, if the pants were $70.00, or even $150.00, I'd buy them. But that's because I, personally, don't attach much value to them. Does that mean I can't afford them? Absolutely not.

16. RRL CLOTHING

You cant afford them. You just said if they were cheaper you would buy them. You like them, you want them, you do not care if they are made in China but money (or lack of) is standing in your way.

If you need to think about it too hard, or make weird rational justifications, you really cant afford it. No sense in denying it. You know it to be true..

17. RRL CLOTHING

Another thing I'm curious to know now. You say if they were $70 you would buy them, because that seems to be what you are willing to spend or "value" on Chinese/SE Asian manufactured tweed pants?

Are you saying that the other $420 will be well justified if it were made in say.. the USA or Italy? Seems pretty steep to pay that much more for a factory in Italy to construct some fabrics.. it's not rocket science.

Or are you saying $500 for any pants made anywhere is $420 over what they "should" cost in your opinion? As you have also stated that being made in Italy would not change your mind about paying $490. If that's the case, then you don't like these pants because they're overpriced in your opinion, not because they're made in China.

If PLRL charges $1200 for some Italian wool pants, why isn't $490 for Scottish tweed, designed in the USA, assembled in China, considered a steal? I definitely think so.

I think most men in the market for Dress clothing would find RRL fit and finish to be remarkable at any price, as well as the Rugby Haberdashery shop, both have high end formal wear for a fraction of their European counterparts. So I hope you will think twice before bashing China or thinking you know what it takes to successfully run a multi-billion dollar clothing empire.
    [​IMG]

18. Kensington

Kensington Well-Known Member

Most men dress like crap. Rugby quality was terrible. RRL is decent. I wouldn't buy those tweed pants at $70 when I can get a tweed suit at Brooks that's made in USA or Italy for a similar price range at discount. Globalization has made the "made in" label a non issue but some of us still want to support domestic workers who make a fair minimum wage or recognize when we are being price gouged by a billionaire dollar company trying to "stay competitive". :fence:

19. RRL CLOTHING

20. Kensington

Kensington Well-Known Member

LOL at recommending suits from Rugby over Brooks.