1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Official RRL Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, May 21, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Teger

Teger Well-Known Member

uhm she was super nice wtf?? she pulled a ton of stuff aside for me before a sale once.

maybe you were really rude to her

2. Teger

Teger Well-Known Member

she was steezier than 99% of this board.

3. whodini

whodini Well-Known Member

It's Ricki and Ralph Lauren. Ralph named his ranch "RRL" using the initials and named the line after it because he felt like the collection would be something he would wear around the ranch.

Teger can ask around but I heard before a while ago. I believe my sources.

4. Teger

Teger Well-Known Member

also there was a girl with huge tits who worked at the rrl store and was in high school.

5. Mauro

Mauro Well-Known Member

Washington, DC and a few months out of the year in
    Ben- for christ sake don't get all nuts on this thread too!
    I am going home for the night gents!

6. xchen

xchen Well-Known Member

I bought my oxford over there when we stopped through DC and she was sort of bitchy to me and I asked I tried to order something over the phone once during a sale and she accused me of being a SA at another store and wanted to know who my store manager was. When I insisted that I wasn't an employee she continued to grill me and wanted to know who my SA was who told me to call. It was beyond absurd.

7. Teger

Teger Well-Known Member

I bought my oxford over there when we stopped through DC and she was sort of bitchy to me and I asked I tried to order something over the phone once during a sale and she accused me of being a SA at another store and wanted to know who my store manager was. When I insisted that I wasn't an employee she continued to grill me and wanted to know who my SA was who told me to call. It was beyond absurd.

wtf???

thats nuts. did you go to the rugby store? that is the worst store in existence.

8. xchen

xchen Well-Known Member

Yeah I stopped in. It was atrocious and there was absolutely nobody there. I saw a room to the back that looked like a bar that a bunch of guys were hanging out in, though. Keep in mind it was about 11am so I have no idea what was really going on.

The J. Crew in the mall wasn't great either but the Barney's Co-Op was awesome compared to Atlanta.

9. Teger

Teger Well-Known Member

if you think that coop is awesome... god help you.

that j crew is ok. I go there because its convenient, but it gets super packed on the weekends and they always keep the dressing rooms at 110 degrees.

also those people you saw hanging out were the sales people.

10. xchen

xchen Well-Known Member

also those people you saw hanging out were the sales people.

Then they had like 10 SAs working, unless they were doing some kind of merchandising or something.

11. TDV

TDV Well-Known Member

You hear that, TDV? You owe him lunch and an ice cream for that.
    highly doubt that a 31 will be .75" lower than a 32 seeing as a 33 is .25" higher than a 32.

12. Teger

Teger Well-Known Member

Then they had like 10 SAs working, unless they were doing some kind of merchandising or something.
    yep welcome to rugby georgetown they have that terrible cafe next door too

13. Mauro

Mauro Well-Known Member

Washington, DC and a few months out of the year in
    They were drinking at the bar like my staff does.[​IMG]

14. whodini

whodini Well-Known Member

highly doubt that a 31 will be .75" lower than a 32 seeing as a 33 is .25" higher than a 32.
    Are you calling Nathan a liar? Sure sounds that way. He must invent measurements for his own personal gain. That guy, I swear...

15. TDV

TDV Well-Known Member

he's not inventing measurements, just taking down incorrect ones.

speaking of which there is way too much speculation here coming from people who's knowledge stems from what clueless SA's tell them. I am sure RRL is a very successful and profitable line.

Ralph has investors and financiers and they would be a little more than unhappy if he were breaking even or losing money on any of his projects.

If 'The Man' is proud or babies anything, it's his Purple Label, which comprises of $800 slippers, $1200 belts and $4000 leather jackets.

16. Mazda

Mazda Well-Known Member

speaking of which there is way too much speculation here coming from people who's knowledge stems from what clueless SA's tell them. I am sure RRL is a very successful and profitable line.

Ralph has investors and financiers and they would be a little more than unhappy if he were breaking even or losing money on any of his projects.

If 'The Man' is proud or babies anything, it's his Purple Label, which comprises of $800 slippers, $1200 belts and $4000 leather jackets.

You sure are full of useful assumptions.

17. prajna12

prajna12 Well-Known Member

Not to jump in the middle of something, but I don't think the RRL line has turned a profit in a while. That's why it's been almost shut down more than a few times. The real $ maker for ol' Ralphy are the outlets that sell Made in China Polo and Chinos for $40. It's just that the RRL is Ralph's dream or something, he loves vintage wear.

18. xchen

xchen Well-Known Member

Seriously, it's no mystery that RL is losing money on the line, and certainly not a myth made up by his SAs. Keep in mind RL is making plenty of money off of Polo and his other lines that he can afford to keep RRL afloat if he wants to. Otherwise why the hell would the line still be around after countless seasons worth of jeans ending up at discount stores for $20 and $50 each.

19. TDV

TDV Well-Known Member

In Europe, particularly France, RRL is taking off and highly sought after. Almost every boutique is stocking it and every Polo shops carry it.

If it were losing money year after year the line would be shut down but it's making enough where it's feasible to continue operating or will be moved overseas entirely.

If Ralph likes wearing vintage, that's great he can continue to do so I'm sure he has quite an extraordinary collection but the company is a well oiled machine and probably not going to keep RRL around just for 'name recognition' or nostalgia or whatever.

20. TDV

TDV Well-Known Member

Seriously, it's no mystery that RL is losing money on the line, and certainly not a myth made up by his SAs. Keep in mind RL is making plenty of money off of Polo and his other lines that he can afford to keep RRL afloat if he wants to. Otherwise why the hell would the line still be around after countless seasons worth of jeans ending up at discount stores for $20 and $50 each.
    so what, there is still profit to be made selling those jeans for $50. Most of RRL is made in China anyway, so I don't see how it's more expensive to manufacture than his Polo merch. or how he makes any less profit off of it. Not to mention outlet stores get very small amounts of RRL compared to what they sell at full retail or compared to how much Polo clothing they get.