1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Official RRL Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, May 21, 2009.

Tags:
  1. notwithit

notwithit Well-Known Member

If you specifically mean the rigid selvedge fabrics, sometimes as seasonal releases, yes. I think they more often offer the Clyde trousers in multiple fabrics.

2. tricky

tricky Well-Known Member

Thank you for clarifying. I haven't looked into the Clyde trousers but I will now.

3. Cooly

Cooly Well-Known Member

They also offer the regular rigid officer chinos in seasonal colors. Last year they had an awesome army green, and navy blue; however, this year, no seasonal colors :(

4. ericleavitt

ericleavitt Well-Known Member

Do you guys think RRL pairs well with engineered garments?

5. aquila49

aquila49 Well-Known Member

For anyone interested in the Slim-Fit Selvedge Jacket in Size Small, I noticed there's one for sale on eBay for $299.00. The listing says, "New, with defect" but doesn't go into details. I've purchased a few things from this vendor. Their photos aren't the best quality but if you're looking for a deal they have a good reputation and accept returns. The jacket lists at 490.00 so that's a pretty good price if the defect is trivial and you don't want to wait for the November sale.

6. aquila49

aquila49 Well-Known Member

I own a few Engineered Garments shirts that seem to work well with RRL denim and chinos but I can't speak for items other than shirts.

Other brands I frequently pair with RRL include LVC (leather jackets, aloha shirts and the flannel shirts made in Italy), Orslow (shirts and jackets), Gitman Vintage (button-down oxford shirts), Tenderloin (Fall jackets), Visvim (boots and sneakers), and Red Wing (Iron Ranger and Beckman boots).

7. ericleavitt

I just own two pairs of RRL Denim, a pair of pants, a chambray shirt, and a heavyweight flannel. I actually like EG alot more than RRL, but my cousin is the social media director of ralph lauren so i get like 70% off of RRL.

I really dislike that RRL clothes are made in China.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  8. clee1982

clee1982 Well-Known Member

well, maybe you can give me the 70% off instead... other than flannel shirt and vest don't think you can really compare EG and RRL, different aesthetics.

I don't have a problem with made in China RRL, all my officer chino are made in China, they have hold up very well

9. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Well-Known Member

ftfy

10. ericleavitt

Yeah, my shit has held up very well, I just I guess hopped on the bandwagon of wanting my clothes made in USA/Japan/Europe.
    All of the stuff I've seen is made in China, besides the denim. Care to show me some shirts/jackets not made in China?

I actually also owned a 100% suede bomber jacket from RRL was beautiful. Sold it, however.

11. double00

double00 Well-Known Member

older RRL is (was) made in USA. at least the jackets, shirts, denim, etc.

quite sure the knits were always made in China.

12. kwhitelaw

13. doctorman

doctorman Well-Known Member

the RRL items made in china are made by the chinese.
    the RRL items made in the USA are made by the chinese immigrants.

4 people like this.
  14. clee1982

clee1982 Well-Known Member

and mostly first generation...

15. ericleavitt

Exactly, for the price point they ask without discounts it is ridiculous. You would expect it to be made in a 1st world country. Made in India is no better than China. LMAO. I would recommend 3 Sixteen for a similar aesthetic. However, RRL has a huge stock of different items which smaller MIUSA brands won't. However, those shirts/sweaters look beautiful.

16. double00

well you're obviously paying for the label. the denim jacket that has come up on the last few pages is clearly just a rebadged Lee Stormrider.

you could get a real deal vintage made in USA specimen Lee for a fraction of RRL prices. nothing against RRL or aficionados but smh at $300 as a bro price.

in my closet i've got hard-thrifted levis type 3s, big E, utterly legit and ralphie sells em new for $$$$. if it says RRL who cares where it was made? it's great stuff but for real it's derivative at best if not an outright repro.

love the chunky hand knits tho.

17. ericleavitt

Thing is at the price point Engineered Garments, or 3 Sixteen, OrSlow, Visvim are all made in USA/Japan top notch quality, and have more street credit than RRL would.

18. kwhitelaw

agree 1000%. Out of maybe 20+/- rrl pieces I own, I've paid full retail for 1 item, a pair of slim rigids bought when the DC shop still sold the line.

https://freenotecloth.com has caught my eye, I'm keeping an eye on them

19. double00

i guess it depends on which street and whether you care about cred. i'm not sure i would compare RRL to any of those except for EG.

but the point that i was making was modern repros vs true vintage in terms of authenticity for $. it's all good.

20. cchen

cchen Well-Known Member

FWIW, Visvim makes their shoes in China.

Kinda off topic but...
    In this day and age, country of origin really does not matter anymore. You have factories in nearly any country who can produce high-quality garments. It's up the brands to use the right factories. I've had bad quality made in LA jeans and amazing made in China items, and vice versa.

I think the real issue is not the country of origin but that RRL has a blanket huge markup on all of their items, regardless of the cost price. The overseas produced items should cost less but still are priced at a very high premium, which IMO is not worth it at full retail.

1 person likes this.