1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Official RRL Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, May 21, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Gruff

Gruff Well-Known Member

+1. Can't think of any daily situation where you wouldn't look odd wearing a flight suit, unless, you know, you're actually a pilot.

Just like last year with the limited edition coveralls, which were dope as hell but I couldn't justify $750 for something that'd look out of place in most social situations, and I'm not a mechanic either so not exactly something I'd wear to the office.

2. gnatty8

gnatty8 Well-Known Member

3. aquila49

aquila49 Well-Known Member

I don't know. I'm not interested in a flight suit myself, but lots of people wear worker/military/western clothes without doing anything remotely related to the occupations originally associated with these garments.

On any given day I can be seen wearing a lumberjack-style flannel shirt, a reproduction of WWII pilot's jacket, cowboy boots and western belt, a hockey jersey or an army shirt—none of which I need for a job that has me working on a laptop 4 to 8 hours a day.

A flight suit, while extreme, seems to be a logical extension of the heritage-style clothing movement promoted by brands like RRL, Buzz Rickson and Levis Vintage Clothing.

4. Cooly

Cooly Well-Known Member

Yeah...they are awesome... love the waxy/leather smell

....but yeah..you nailed it ... Rancourt..you can take a look at their moccasins .. pretty much the same..the RRL may be a bit beefier, have the three brass "hardware"/eyeletes, and a different inside but not much different...

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
  5. Gruff

Gruff Well-Known Member

All true but I think you've identified it in the last paragraph - it's a bit extreme. Most people are used to seeing pilot's jackets, cowboy boots, western belts and flannel shirts in a variety of situations. Most people aren't used to seeing dudes in flight suits walking into their local Starbucks for a cup of coffee.

This isn't all to say I don't think it's cool, though. It's a very nice piece - I just question the practicality of some of this stuff sometimes, especially for the price.

6. oceansaway

oceansaway Well-Known Member

This seems like the kind of whimsy that RRL needs to eliminate to, as Larsson put it, prove that it's viable.

Stick to stuff that people can wear.

1 person likes this.
  7. notwithit

notwithit Well-Known Member

I don't think the flight suit is actually meant to be worn; it's more of a prestige / collectors piece that's intended to push one or more themes of this season's collection as far as it can go. Like, if you look at all of the pieces lined up together, you can say yeah, I can see how a flight suit might fit in there; if you're looking at the pieces in the collection as actual things you might wear, like, in the world, the flight suit isn't going to fit in anywhere. Other designers have had similar items, like I think there was a Geller onesie (or maybe it was also a flight suit) not too long ago. Geller even said himself that he didn't mean for people to wear it.

2 people like this.
  8. PCFIVEZ

PCFIVEZ Well-Known Member

not only do chicks look hot wearing a flight suit with some nice heels...maybe i'll make my girl wear it one night! but it's not really overpriced when you utilize them gift cards RL gives a way every now and then. :)

9. Cooly

Cooly Well-Known Member

One wouldn't even bat an eye if one saw another in a flight suit in SF... especially in certain neighborhoods (mission, upper/lower haight, castro...but pretty much anywhere)...

10. oynag

oynag Well-Known Member

It's only weird because no one wears them. Now, if we ALL got one and started wearing them...who would be weird then? Right. Us. Still.

Dang, thought I had something there.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
  11. double00

double00 Well-Known Member

if you are a known shark jumper i'd say it might work

(and i mean that literally)

12. PCFIVEZ

the denim selvedge RRL jacket is on that list too...all im saying is that i think they've screwed up on adding a couple RRL pieces on that promo and people who are interested should take full advantage...like that time somebody leaked their employee discount ID for the code. shit i raped them for stuff that was sold for double to china.

13. Cooly

Cooly Well-Known Member

The Selvedge Denim Jacket is awesome...highly recommend....especially if it's 30-40% off! I've already worn mine enough to have some fading in some areas...

A similar "incident" happened in the Spring when, strangely, all the RRL tailored items were part of the Polo sale...it was a great time to get 30% off the suits, sport coats... maybe RL wanted it to happen..maybe not...who knows...but they never fix it during the sale (when they easily could)...

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
  14. aquila49

I'm tempted, but I already own a ridiculous number of denim jackets. But 30% … ;)

15. aquila49

It would solve the problem of matching tops and bottoms. Who knows? Maybe everyone will be wearing them in 20 years.

Back in the early 70's, I wore either lederhosen or overalls during the summer. Comfortable and socially acceptable, at the commune, in the fields or on a road trip.

16. aquila49

I feel like Gollum. I pull them out of the box every few days to look at them and maybe stroke them for a bit before carefully returning my precious ones to that oh-so-cool shoebox.

I just can't bring myself to expose those pristine soles to the outdoors. ;)

1 person likes this.
  17. zippyh

zippyh Well-Known Member

It solves the matching top and bottom problem but introduces problems when pooping.

1 person likes this.
  18. PCFIVEZ

it's 30 percent plus 10 percent if you sign for their mailing list! since they allow 3 codes at once...you still get the free shipping.

19. walds11

walds11 Well-Known Member

F*ck man, this is tempting!!!

20. Gruff

Gruff Well-Known Member

RRL has produced overalls before. Limited edition, too, I think. Maybe they'll be releasing some LE authentic workwear lederhosen in upcoming seasons? They'll be around 2 grand, of course...