1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Official RRL Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, May 21, 2009.

Tags:
  1. DJ Quaaludes

DJ Quaaludes Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Yay for casual fridays....bowery maiden voyage.

3 people like this.
  2. buzzlulu

buzzlulu Well-Known Member

Thanks
    With reference to sizing I have not found that downsizing is consistent across the board. In the same box I received the slim fit chinos
    http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/...&ab=ln_men_cs2_sale&view=99&parentPage=family
    in a size 33/32 and I need to exchange them for my true size 34 as they run tight

I also received the slim fit Utica Jean and in that case I followed someone who posted earlier that they were tight fitting. I went for my true size, 34/32, and they seemed spot on - actually I have requested that they send me a 34/34 as the extra length might be better for cuffing the bottoms to expose the selvedge. These jeans fit quite nicely - nice and slim in the leg - as I think that most other RRL slim fits are not as tapered as these are. I tend to gravitate towards tapered leg slim fits so do not frequently buy RRL jeans because of that.

3. Dave_SFU

Dave_SFU Well-Known Member

If anyone has the most recent brown Bowerys in a size 8 or 7.5 and wants to part with them let me know

4. Ghost01

Ghost01 Well-Known Member

Not much to add to DJ as he's answered most points.

"Sanforized Cotton Selvedge Piece Dyed Chino Fabric" = They won't shrink much. Sanforization allows for a 5% shrinkage tolerance.

Are these cotton twill chinos or are they more like raw selvedge denim? = They are a twill with a 2x2 weaving pattern. They are rigid which means they still have the 'sizing' starch on the fabric and therefore feel like a rigid denim, they are however technically a twill.

Will they stretch with wear? Probably. Most cotton denim/twill stretches with wear but it won't be excessive

Will they shrink with a wash? Probably, back to the original size after wear.

"Wear as long as possible without washing...wash only when necessary etc = Which probably means in this case after each wear or an encounter with a child.

5. SpiKedPSU

SpiKedPSU Member

just got my first pair of rigid slims ... i normally wear a 30x30 but after reading online (too much) i went with a 29x30, which was just a tad too small so i just sent them back for an exchange to a size 30x30 ... for anyone wondering, i found that the slim rigids really do fit TTS, they def do feel they will have a nice stretch, but i read so much about people having to size down, i was shocked when the jeans were exactly TTS (even in length) ... anyway just wanted to mention to anyone who is new to RRL like i was, if youre going with the slim rigid they definitely fit slim and i feel it would be safe to go with your usual size if you want them fit slim .. ill post fit pix when they get here in the rite size .. i also got the Suede Boondocker boots in 8.5 (my normal size) and those boots are AWESOME ... each shoe came in its own dust bag inside the box, they are really great boots .. ill post pix soon as i can ;)

6. captainshields

captainshields Well-Known Member

I have rigid slims and they are nowhere near tts. I vary from a 28 to a 30 waist and these in 28 are 2 sizes too big. The inseam is 30 and it measures 33.
    So to add to the confusion, I really don't think people should buy tts. I think you have to keep trying pairs until you find the one that fits.

7. SpiKedPSU

SpiKedPSU Member

about how long ago did you order yours? i noticed that the models from previous years definitely varied in size more, and like u described i also was under the impression the rigid slims run big and to size down ... i only sized down 1 size (from a 30 to a 29) and they fit but were too tight in the not right way so i think the 30x30s will fit perfect .. i also measured the inseam and it was barely over 30 .. it may vary with pairs of course, but i was shocked at how slim the leg is (in an awesome way, i had read that RRLs dont fit too snug in the leg) but these slims hit perfect in the thighs on down .. when the new pair comes ill post some pix ..

8. captainshields

Mine are a couple seasons old, so maybe RRL change them for the current season.

9. notwithit

notwithit Well-Known Member

No reason to avoid washing those. Not washing --> more distinctive wear patterns and fades, and fabric that's essentially undyed isn't going to fade.

Just picked up a type-2 jacket, sized down one because the medium was so boxy on me. Small actually fits pretty well. Can't decide whether to keep it. :decisions:

10. buzzlulu

buzzlulu Well-Known Member

THANK YOU for the very detailed followup to DJ's post.
    For anyone trying to locate these (as the website is out of many sizes) call the 800 number and they will track down a pair for you in one of the stores. I have now been able to locate a 32 (as my 33's were too big (true size 34)) and I hope to have them next week.

11. captainshields

Longshot.
    Anybody by any chance have one of the Mister Freedom Watch Caps they would sell?
    Just got the RRL one and it is weirdly small and thin. Not what I was expecting.

12. patrick_b

patrick_b Well-Known Member

I've had the no-line 10.8 oz Selvedge officer chino for a couple of yrs. I always washed regularly, much more than raw denim. They've had maybe 8 washes in two yrs and broken in nicely. I picked up a pair of what seems like the same pant in dark green from eBay this year and they are so damn stiff. Pocket stamp is the same but they seem significantly more rigid than the khaki. Maybe I just don't remember how stiff the old ones were now that they are broken in. I washed the green ones twice and have worn them a dozen times or so. They just don't want to relent! It's like wearing armour.

13. Mon Dieu

Mon Dieu Well-Known Member

You tried Buzz or RMC also Papa Nui Says ......Mine is vintage WWII (70 yrs old, Yikes!) came from ex gf grand father and like brand new..

GL

Last edited: May 2, 2014
  14. SpiKedPSU

SpiKedPSU Member

ugh just my luck, i sent my 29x30 slim rigids back to exchange for a 30x30, and i see today that all the rigid cuts all of a sudden have like hardly any sizes left ... ;\ im hoping some more come in stock in time, if not ill have to order from a store, the RRL store in hamptons, ny said theyd hold one of the 2 pairs of 30x30s they have left for a couple days ... how random for such a quick reduction in sizes ... my luck sucks lol

15. captainshields

I don't like the big logo on the Buzz. What is Papa Nui Says?
    I have some vintage ones but I'd rather not ruin them by wearing them.

16. patrick_b

patrick_b Well-Known Member

http://papanuisays.blogspot.com/

Surfer guy from down under who sells some cool stuff from his site.

17. FlyGuy

FlyGuy Well-Known Member

reinforce the buttons on this years officer chinos…weak compared to years past…+2.25 in waist too (how vain can ya get?)

Last edited: May 2, 2014
  18. meowmix1891

meowmix1891 Well-Known Member

I ordered a couple different sizes and I really dig these chinos. These are my first pair of lighter pants (been wearing navy/charcoal/brown all my life) and I'm actually liking them a LOT more than I expected. I'm deciding between two inseam sizes with one of them being just right when double cuffed, and the next one being about 1.5 inches too long when double cuffed. I'm thinking of going with the shorter inseam and praying to god that sanforized really does mean no shrinking.... regardless I'm thinking of getting them tapered because the bigger opening looks a little funny with my loafers.

19. gnu

gnu Well-Known Member

If I wanted to have the best chance to run across some RRL stuff at one of the outlets, what day of the week would they most likely put it out? I think people have mentioned like Wednesday?

20. captainshields

I think thursday but don't quote me on that. That's the day they usually change their sale price (if they do)