1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Official MMA thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Matt, May 30, 2008.

1. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

I would be very surprised if it went to the ground, where I think BJ would have a distinct advantage. There are black belts and there are black belts. On the feet, it's hard to say. BJ is a conventionally better boxer, but Diaz does something very few MMA fighters know how to do, which is to change up his handspeed and his power. Most MMA fighters are like pitchers who can only throw a fastball. Diaz has changeups, sliders, curveballs, a real arsenal. Plus, he is a way taller, larger fighter. Plus, like him or not, Diaz always shows up. BJ, flip a coin. On the other hand, it seems (from the Frankie Edgar fights) that BJ's weakness is in-and-out fighters (which explains why he does well at welterweight and in catchweight fights, where guys are not as fast.) And Diaz is not an in-and-out fighter.

BTW, one of our purple belts just moved down to San Diego to train with Fabio Santos (a red belt) full time, and is doing really well there. Apparently, they think that he has Mundials level potential (and he is just 21.) War Moscow ID?

2. Slopho

Slopho Well-Known Member

Yes!! UFC 139 Henderson vs. Shogun. Shogun is gonna whip that old one punch pony ass!! Henderson, welcome back thanks for fighting and now its time to retire!!

3. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

They are both at least a bit past their prime, but it should be a good fight. Both guys have good chins (well, Henderson's chin is legendary,) and both throw bombs with the Chuck Norris philosophy. I predict a KO or a TKO, one way or the other. Do not see this going the distance unless there are injuries.

4. Slopho

Slopho Well-Known Member

Wandy inagainst le. Kind of disappointing.

5. NorCal

NorCal Well-Known Member

Why? This should be a more evenly matched fight and I'd love to see Wandy KO a fool. I think I might have to make this show. Any other Bay Area fight fans want to make it an SF meet up?
    Fok, does the new SF have any pull in the fight game? Can we make it an ambassador event?

6. Mauro

Mauro Well-Known Member

Washington, DC and a few months out of the year in
    If Shogun comes in healthy I think hendo is going down. I always root for Wandy but he is done. Wandy is a good reason NOT to brawl all out at practice.

7. Slopho

Slopho Well-Known Member

Not for nothing but here are my picks for tonight

Jon Jones vs. Quinton "Rampage" Jackson

•Matt Hughes vs. Josh Koscheck

•Rob Broughton vs. Travis Browne

•Nate Diaz vs. Takanori Gomi (Can the Japanese please start showing up in the Octogon)

Mark Hunt vs. Ben Rothwell

PRELIMINARY CARD (Spike TV)
    •Aaron Riley vs. Tony Ferguson

Tim Boetsch vs. Nick Ring

PRELIMINARY CARD (Facebook)
    •Ricardo Romero vs. James Te Huna

Cole Escovedo vs. Takeya Mizugaki (Other guys name too close to Steve Mazzaggatti who I hate)

Junior Assuncao vs. Eddie Yagin

8. Pennglock

Pennglock Well-Known Member

Pretty predictable outcomes so far. And I dont expect things to change with the Jones fight...

9. Slopho

Slopho Well-Known Member

Looks like Gomi is done, Daiz seems to be the gatekeeper type and I don't know if he'll every be a threat for the LW title.

10. NorCal

NorCal Well-Known Member

Jones is very, very good.

He uses his height well, much like AS, both can hang back and keep their weight and head a little forward but being as tall as they are they still have enough space to pull back from strikes. But having their weight a little forward allows them to throw with speed and power, especially their leg kicks. Faced with a guy that is willing and able to pull back out of range and yet still throw good hard shots, guys have to try to close in fast and a little wild. But then they realize that they're playing the clinch game with a very, very, good clinch wrestler or MT guy and want to throw the guy off and get space, where of course they're back to square one.

Meanwhile JJ or AS can operate with almost total confidence and break guys down.

It seems the blueprint to beat either guy is similar. Grind him out and take him down. But the clinch game is going to be hard so you need a good, hard, fast shot and decent head movement/beard to survive until you get the shot.

Chael had it and showed how to beat AS, but his lack of mental game and finishing of course cost him the fight.

The other thing the guy who beats JJ or AS is going to need is total self-confidence and disdain for the aura of the champ. Guys look so lost in there especially once they realize the depth of the water. I want to see a guy fight with hatred and anger and violent intent.

11. Lord-Barrington

Lord-Barrington Well-Known Member

I'm starting to think that the best way to beat either of these guys is just turn it into an ugly brawl. No one is beating AS or JJ by "outfighting" them at this point.

12. hrb

hrb Well-Known Member

^
    yeah, a la wanderlei etc. tough call though to actually pull off. They would have to keep the pressure on without gassing.

aside from the horrendous stoppage for Johnson, the fights last night were surprisingly solid.

13. Slopho

Slopho Well-Known Member

^ I was at Saturday's UFC event in DC, Mighty Mouse out walking around taking pictures about 2hrs before his fight. Very nice and super approachable. Brandon Vera was walking around too, they showed Jones on the Jumbotron later in the evening but I didn't see him before or after that.

Couple of drunk near fights in the row in front of me which is always funny to see.

14. Mauro

Mauro Well-Known Member

Washington, DC and a few months out of the year in
    ^^thanks for the invite.

15. Slopho

Slopho Well-Known Member

Man, is there just no interest in MMA on the Forum anymore? Looking forward to the 29th, also happy that Itunes/UFC now has a "One punch knockouts" collection for downloading.:slayer:

16. kruze

kruze Well-Known Member

I am still interested. Just caught up on the last 2 events. Garcia and Nam was a great fight.

Oh and the throw by Boetsch like last month was awesome. Best non-knockout moment I've seen in awhile.

17. hrb

hrb Well-Known Member

i am surprised as well. 136 was great. much better than i was expecting. pics for sat:

GSP over Condit, unanimous decision (hoping for a tko or ko, GSP needs one)
    PENN over Diaz, sub 2nd
    KONGO over Mitrione (Still don't understand how Mitrione keeps winning), tko 3rd - I may be in the minority here but he and B. Schaub are two TUF alumni that baffle me with their success in octagon. that said a win is a win.
    NELSON over Cro Cop (though i hope it's the opposite) ko 1st
    CERRONE over Siver (looking forward to this one!). tko 2nd

for some reason just the one decision on this one in my books.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  18. hrb

hrb Well-Known Member

very disappointing.

19. Slopho

Slopho Well-Known Member

I saw that Cerrone vs. Siver wasn't moved up the the main card. CRAZY!! Other than Penn Diaz this is the fight to watch. Nelson vs. Cro Cop may be Cro Cop's swan song, I too hope he wins but the clipping that he took from Schaub that face planted him was a bit distressing. GSP not being there hurts, but I wish Condit took Koscheck up on his offer to fight him on short notice.