1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Official MMA thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Matt, May 30, 2008.

1. odoreater

odoreater Well-Known Member

with one huge exception...all seems very quiet on the litigation front though. A long time since there was any news on Couture v White.

The way litigation can go sometimes, Couture might be an old man before this is hammered out.

2. Reborn

Reborn Well-Known Member

The way litigation can go sometimes, Couture might be an old man before this is hammered out.

Couture is an old man!

3. Mauro

Mauro Well-Known Member

Washington, DC and a few months out of the year in
    I don't think randy can beat fedor honestly. Age is a small factor but Randy will start acquiring ring rust and I think fedors fighting style is not good for Randy.

4. odoreater

odoreater Well-Known Member

I don't think randy can beat fedor honestly. Age is a small factor but Randy will start acquiring ring rust and I think fedors fighting style is not good for Randy.

That's why I don't understand why everyone all over the internet has a huge hard-on for the Randy/Fedor fight to happen. Honestly, I don't think it would be much of a fight and I think Randy would get dominated by Fedor.

5. Matt

Matt Well-Known Member

Lots of reasons why the world wants this fight...Pride champ vs UFC champ, only dude Fedor hasnt dispatched, Captain America vs Drago, Randy's avowed final fight...etc etc etc.

Dont get me wrong, based on last week's showing, Drago must break him, but still, let's not forget that the Couture Sylvia fight wasnt dissimilar in one regard - Randy put Sylvia on his ass within seconds as well, he just didnt have the submission skills to put him out. As for Randyringrust - meh - I accused Fedor of that a couple weeks back, I dont think I'll be making those accusations again anytime soon.

My question on the topic is what does Dana have to gain out of holding Randy out like this. OK, he is a big PPV draw, contracted for one more fight...so we keep him in limbo so long that he turns 50 and never has that fight = everyone loses. Gets to a point where Randy should just say 'ok, ill do one more UFC fight, please don't watch because I am going to tap out as soon as the bell rings, donate my payment to charity, and leave'. Fulfill obligations, embarrass everyone, we all lose, and then the Fedor fight can happen.

All just seems to be a zero sum game at this point.

As for Arlovski - he is an interesting matchup for Fedor in that it will be the first time I can think of where Fedor will be up against another skilled sambo guy. I believe Arlovski is actually a higher sambo rank than Fedor (although I could be wrong) but at the same time I dont think his MMA applied-sambo is anywhere near the level of Fedor's. Still, he will be better able to defend himself and more accustomed to the attacks than previous opponents have been. I roll with a sambo guy as well - very unusual attacks, come at you very differently than BJJ guys on the ground.

6. West24

West24 Well-Known Member

when arlovski fought tim he was kicking his ass the whole fight, then got stupid and got caught with a lucky punch. he was outclassing tim by miles. so it could be a better fight then we think.

7. Mauro

Mauro Well-Known Member

have a brain fart in MMA can cost you the fight. You dont go off your plan that's a sure way to lose and Andrea lost just because of that.

8. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

have a brain fart in MMA can cost you the fight. You dont go off your plan that's a sure way to lose and Andrea lost just because of that.

I had some great advice for one fight. My coach told me:

"Use your leading leg. Use it to jab or push kick him and circle away. Keep on doing this. Don't get sloppy. At some point, you mioght hurt him, or at least wear him down. Then you might start thinking, 'Maybe I should finish him off, maybe I can finish him off now.' No, you'll be wrong. He is stronger and generally faster then you. And he has much heavier hands. And his jiujitsu and wrestling are better. If you start forgetting that, he will kick your Chinese ass."

I nearly lost the fight because at about 8 minutes into the fight (so, middle of the second round), I thought exactly that, and got punched dizzy.

9. Reborn

Reborn Well-Known Member

A woman Rampage hit had a miscarriage [​IMG]

10. Matt

Matt Well-Known Member

11. Hard2Fit

Hard2Fit Well-Known Member

12. tsloop

tsloop Well-Known Member

Fedor's next victim will be Andrei Arlovski. I would have like to have seen Arlovski fight Josh Barnett for the right to fight Fedor, but I guess Affliction wants Fedor in action as much as possible. It's not like he worked up much of a sweat in his fight with Tim Sylvia.

Fedor is out so Arlovski is fighting Barnett on Oct 11. Link

13. dopey

dopey Well-Known Member

I had some great advice for one fight. My coach told me:

"Use your leading leg. Use it to jab or push kick him and circle away. Keep on doing this. Don't get sloppy. At some point, you mioght hurt him, or at least wear him down. Then you might start thinking, 'Maybe I should finish him off, maybe I can finish him off now.' No, you'll be wrong. He is stronger and generally faster then you. And he has much heavier hands. And his jiujitsu and wrestling are better. If you start forgetting that, he will kick your Chinese ass."

I nearly lost the fight because at about 8 minutes into the fight (so, middle of the second round), I thought exactly that, and got punched dizzy.

Out of curiosity. What was the strategy your coach DID gave you to win?

Or was the idea to keep your opponent at bay until he got an important phone call telling him he had to fly to Waco, TX, right away, ending the fight? Or maybe until a band of talking walruses stormed the stage?

14. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

Out of curiosity. What was the strategy your coach DID gave you to win?

Or was the idea to keep your opponent at bay until he got an important phone call telling him he had to fly to Waco, TX, right away, ending the fight? Or maybe until a band of talking walruses stormed the stage?

Haha. Um, sort of the second. Essentially, he told me to stay elusive. Stick and circle out. Stick and circle out. Frustrate him. Be really economical and don't get into a toe to toe battle (which would most definitely have ended badly for me.) The leading leg kick is good for controling distance.

15. Brian SD

Brian SD Well-Known Member

This one's awesome [​IMG]

16. Mauro

Mauro Well-Known Member

17. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Well-Known Member

Confirmed for the NYE show. Who ya got? I've got GSP by decision.

18. Eason

Eason Well-Known Member

However GSP wins, I hope he licks the blood off his gloves.

19. Joffrey

Joffrey Well-Known Member

I'm a big fan of BJ Penn and GSP. May the best fighter win.

20. redgrail

redgrail Well-Known Member

GSP by decision is my guess, though it could go either way. Regardless, it's going to be insane. Can't wait.