1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Official Los Angeles Shopping + Dining Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by driveslowk, Apr 2, 2010.

1. Xericx

Xericx Well-Known Member

Had the burger today at aframe for lunch, it was great. very "saucy" burger, I think they used canned tomatos not sure, they seemed like they were though....i really liked it though. strange that absolutely no char to the burger whatsoever.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
  2. jet

jet Well-Known Member

Me, kelvin and a homie killed it at osteria tonight.

Didn't have to wait for seating, had two apps, five dishes and three desserts I'll let K chime in with the breakdown.

3. driveslowk

driveslowk Well-Known Member

grilled octopus, burrata with speck, tagliatelle verde with lamb ragu, orecchiete with sausage and swiss chard, calfs brain ravioli, agnolotti, and short rib. Stand-out plates were the burrata, tagliatelle, orecchiete (very good) and the short rib.

Dessert was chocolate cake (too rich), a strawberry crepe type thing (really good) and a type of small donut with huckleberry marmelatta and vanilla gelato that was pretty good.

4. Razele

Razele Well-Known Member

I haven't had ragu in ages

I should make that

5. kiya

kiya Well-Known Member

Has anybody eaten at Biergarten yet?
    It's on N. Western right off Beverly.

The menu looks crazy and the initial reviews from Yelp and the press are very good.
    Looks like a corny spot, but if the food and beer is good..

Check the menu/photos: http://www.facebook.com/BiergartenLA

6. driveslowk

driveslowk Well-Known Member

Oh yah, sat across from Runkel from Californication last night.

7. Xericx

Xericx Well-Known Member

Brunch at the Lazy Oxx Canteen today, first time there. had some of the eggplant with tahnini and lamb/beef ragu over egg noodles with a fried egg. Both were very solid entrees, I look forward to trying it for dinner sometime....

8. jet

jet Well-Known Member

Had the best NY style pizza tonight in the most unlikely of places, corona del mar. Verified authentic by my buddy who grew up in new york, shit was amazing.

[​IMG]

Thin, crispy in the middle crust that supported the center of the pie, well done,, same water as NY, the right type of flour, jesus.

Large fontaine from Johnny's on pch, my new spot. Owner is cool as fuck too stayed open late for us.

For those coming down from LA-

Johnny's Real New York PIzza
    2756 E. Coast Hwy,
    Corona Del Mar 92625
    949-729-9159

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  9. Spencer

Spencer Well-Known Member

Looks amazing.

I think D'Amore's Pizza Connection has solid NY Style pizza. Their water comes from Buffalo, NY I think.

10. Spencer

Check that, water from Boston, so I guess it's not really "NY Style" but still damn good.

11. kiya

kiya Well-Known Member

What do you guys mean by "water from NY"?
    They import canisters of water from the east coast? That's dumbest shit i've ever heard.. and my wife's family owns 7 pizzerias in NorCal. Granted they're not gourmet approved but they've had these pizzerias since 1974, they know pizza. The whole "importing water" thing is an industry joke for tourists.
    Not saying the pizza Spencer had wasn't good, just saying the water part is a farce.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  12. jet

jet Well-Known Member

I didn't say water from NY.

Just because they own 7 or 20 or 50 pizzerias it is no correlation to the taste.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  13. kiya

kiya Well-Known Member

Sorry, i was referring to Spencer, not you. Fixed.

14. whodini

whodini Well-Known Member

Fucking awesome.
    That pizza joint isn't the only biz in LA to import random shit from NY. There's some bagel place on the west side that imports their water from Brooklyn.

Let me know how that German place is. I got the email from Urban Daddy or whatever about it and I'm hoping it's good.

15. oisin

oisin Well-Known Member

i didn't eat at biergarten but went for some beer. It was a decent space, but I think I prefer beer belly in k-town. the food at beer belly is great (if somewhat fatty/heavy) and they specialize in a lot of very local beer. I should check out the menu at biergarten though and see how it is.

Went to Playa Saturday night. Overall good, though there were some misses. Best to stick with the tapas--the larger plates were fairly meh IMO (had the tacos and the puerco--tacos were sort of bland, puerco over salted). Cocktails excellent. Maize cakes, excellent. All the food had really gorgeous presentation (though I don't quite get the atomic age theme, though I liked it--quirky and fun). And I really like what they've done with the Grace space, opening it up, making it a bit more casual.

16. Get Smart

Get Smart Well-Known Member

the smog is what makes LA pizza so good. we can bottle it and sell it to other states so they can all open their own "california style pizzerias"

17. poly800rock

poly800rock Well-Known Member

isnt that california pizza kitchen?

18. Spencer

Your guess is as good as mine. Kinda seems like a bunch of shit, I mean do they ship the water? I have no clue, but you hear it often, how about that new Bagel place on Beverly; Brooklyn Bagel Baklery, they claim the same shit. Probably just trying to pull a fast one on some lame Angelenos.

19. Reggs

Reggs Well-Known Member

20. MIKE_JE

MIKE_JE Well-Known Member

People are always claiming shit about water. I have a couple relatives convinced that their alkaline water Kagan systems have changed their lives. From my research it seems there is no scientific argument to support any of that.

I'm not a baker so I'm not sure how the PH of water could effect the dough, but I guess it could make some kind of difference. Or, it is a gimmick.

My favorite pizza in the United States is at Great Lake in Andersonville, Chicago. But I'll let us get back to Los Angeles.

I'm a pretty big fan of Pizzeria Mozza to go. It's a bit of change for a pretty small pie but I think they do a good job. I'm not saying this is New York pie, just an unrelated pizza comment.

I will try Jet's recommendation oh Johnny's next time I am down there.

For New York style pizza in West Hollywood, where I live, I like Joe's. It also happens to be downstairs from one of the best hole in the wall authentic Sushi Places, Sushi Park. It's one of my favorite outside Little Tokyo and I've mentioned it on here before.

End ramble.

Joe's on sunset (nothing to plan a night around, but a good place to get a slice): http://www.yelp.com/biz/joes-pizza-west-hollywood