• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Los Angeles Shopping + Dining Thread

Please Respond

Reaction score
Originally Posted by djblisk
Sorry Please Respond,

But -1 for Griddle Cafe. The foot albeit good is not excellent and is a tourtist trap on top of it.

Is there really such thing as "excellent" breakfast food? They have French Press coffee, thick cut bacon, I've always found the patronage to be "Young Hollywood" as opposed to a tourist trap ala Saddle Ranch.

They have great chili, the french toast (just the regular french toast) is amazing and it's always a fun place to go. Again though, I'm never one to suggest that any breakfast type food is ever going to be excellent. It's breakfast food. But as far as eggs, pancakes, french toast, good coffee... The Griddle Hits the mark. Besides, the owner, a woman, drives a 911 997 GT3 and for that alone +5.

But you have my agreement, it's nothing to do cartwheels about.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am always up for a good steak and Peter Lugers is one of my must visit restaurants when I got to NY so I got to check Wolgangs Steaks one of these days.

shellshock

Forum Mascot
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
Hi shelly! Not in San Francisco this fall?

no, i graduated so i'm back in la
when's the rager?!?
laugh.gif

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RFX45
I am always up for a good steak and Peter Lugers is one of my must visit restaurants when I got to NY so I got to check Wolgangs Steaks one of these days.

Surprised you didn't know about this place.

I think the best bacon and egg breakfast I've had was at the viceroy palm springs. As simple as it the taste was the best out of any other places. Dupars is pretty good, pancakes off the chain.

I really like crepes for dessert and the nutella/banana one at BLD is excellent.

Also, il tram has an excellent nutella croissant with strawberries and bananas. Always a must when I eat there. Also plus rep since they have orangina.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
Surprised you didn't know about this place.

Yah, when it comes to steaks I usually just go to Mortons or Flemings just because it is more readily available here in the Valley.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
finally went to the spice station yesterday. it's like walking into marco polo's dry pantry. left with a bunch of arrowroot, fenugreek, coriander, whole cloves, chervil, and fleur de sel, for about $11. highly recommended.

http://www.spicestationsilverlake.com/

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Please Respond
Is there really such thing as "excellent" breakfast food? .

yes, the creme brulee french toast at Julienne. It's like in its own category of food.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thre french toast at Madame Matisse in Silver Lake is pretty damn good, too. There's a good brunch at Canele in Atwater Village. I like dinner there, too.

Originally Posted by shellshock
when's the rager?!?
laugh.gif

You didn't hear there's a baby living at my house now? He put the kibosh on the ragers
laugh.gif

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
yes, the creme brulee french toast at Julienne. It's like in its own category of food.
Monte Cristo @ Black Cow Montrose. heeeellllyes. Also, french toast @ Square One. Taking Lobster there for that one. Baron, really enjoy dinner at Canele, too. Too bad that Cuban place down the street is so average. Had high hopes for it.

skunkworks

Reaction score
I like Square One a lot.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
Monte Cristo @ Black Cow Montrose. heeeellllyes.

Also, french toast @ Square One. Taking Lobster there for that one.

Baron, really enjoy dinner at Canele, too. Too bad that Cuban place down the street is so average. Had high hopes for it.

That Cuban place is very forgettable. Not sure how they stay in business as it always looks empty. Also, Square One is great, with a nice view of the giant blue Scientology building. Excellent bacon.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Have you been to El Floridita over on Fountain and Vine? Place is somewhat of an 1980s Tony Montana time warp but the food is really on point. It's what you'd expect from a place like Versailles except that it delivers. Highly recommend the masitas de puerco.

I can only do Square One for breakfast. Lunch is just a Scientologist/medical worker/hipster zoo.

Please Respond

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
Have you been to El Floridita over on Fountain and Vine? Place is somewhat of an 1980s Tony Montana time warp but the food is really on point. It's what you'd expect from a place like Versailles except that it delivers. Highly recommend the masitas de puerco.

I can only do Square One for breakfast. Lunch is just a Scientologist/medical worker/hipster zoo.

LOL, and you have the balls to criticize my restaurant choices.. El Floridita is so mediocre it hurts. Granted it's better than that ************* Versailles monstrosity but that doesn't say much.

El Floridita has mediocre everything...

There used to be a good Cuban restaurant on Pico across from Roscoe's Chicken and Waffle but it closed. They're also used to be another decent one, Havanah on Sunset, but it also closed.

And Porto's is more of a bakery despite the fact they have good croquetas and Pan Con Lechon.

To be honest, the best Cuban I've found in LA that still exists is near LAX. It's called Havana Mania in Redondo Beach.

The only qualification I have to rate Cuban food is that I lived in Miami for over 10 years. Of course, according to Whodini, that is the equivalent of a Mexican liking Taco Bell ??!?? But, whatever. I would also guess that a New Yorker wouldn't know good pizza or bagels.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

boxing[1].gif

Please Respond

Reaction score
My number one recommendation for a restaurant you all should try: And I hesistate giving this name away because it's small and hard to get a reservation and I dread the day I won't be able to eat regularly cause it's toobusy.

KA GA YA it's the best Shabu Shabu anywhere I've ever eaten. They have 3 levels of Shabu starting at $50 (it's a price fix meal including soup, desert, appetizers, etc) Wagyu for $100 and going all the way up to $150 for Premium Wagyu.

Sit at the bar if you have the chance and watch the owner, Masa, prepare the compliment courses. He hand grinds his own wasabe from the expensive root and also hand grinds his own salt. He prepares these amazing dishes that go along with the Shabu that I can't even begin to describe. His Goma and Ponzu sauce are the best I've tasted and the staff is extremely warm and helpful.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Staff online

Forum statistics