1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Official Los Angeles Shopping + Dining Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by driveslowk, Apr 2, 2010.

1. Spencer

Spencer Well-Known Member

This thread has died, kinda feel like this whole Forum has too......?

Late here, but Mistral in Sherman Oaks is good, solid french brasserie spot

2. popman1967

popman1967 Active Member

I just came back after quite a long time away after a couple of things caught my eye...the emphasis on high quality long lasting things is admirable and needs to be promoted somehow in our disposable world.

3. djblisk

djblisk Well-Known Member

I haven't noticed. Have you tried Takao?

4. SirGrotius

SirGrotius Well-Known Member

I found Shunji's dinner omakases to be the most expensive in the city, except for Urasawa which is a different experience. I seem to recall around $375 for Shunji, but I usually tell him to do it up.

I had a lunch omakase, which was much more nigiri based, one piece at a time, and I preferred it, even if it didn't have the high-level artistry that sets his dinners apart. I seem to recall lunch being only half or less the cost of the dinners.

The only thing that compares is Mori, and that's much more subtle in terms of the flavor profile and more for traditionalists/perfectionists. I had a bad experience at Q, which I found overhyped. Tsujki is a solid B+ to A- but I think its reviews are inflated due to the cheap lunch specials. Zo is tasty but its warm-rice, ponzu sauce thing gets old fast, Sasabune is for fatties (which is fine time to time), and Urasawa is best but uncomfortably expensive. His toro is almost unbelievably fatty.

I was never a big Kiriko guy, although I imagine it has a fun, more adventurous vibe to it. I did not see it on the same level as some of the others, such as Shunji and Mori.

Never could do Yamakase, since being an East-Coast guy, the idea of starting dinner at around 9 pm on the West Coast and going on for three hours of eating uni is just a bit much.

5. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Well-Known Member

Anyone have price fixe recs? Trying to get dinner + wine pairings for less than $100/person if possible.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
  6. brooks23

brooks23 Well-Known Member

Not sure on pricing, but have you tried Maude? I used to live around the corner and the menu always looked amazing. Never tried it unfortunately.

7. djblisk

Is there anything like Sushi Gen on the Westside?

Sushi compared to price wise.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
  8. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Well-Known Member

Haven't been to Sushi Gen in ages so I don't really know what the benchmark is. But if the general idea is good sushi that won't run you several hundred dollars per person, there are plenty of options on the westside.
    I'm a big fan of Shima on Abbot Kinney. A couple of the places on Sawtelle are pretty good.

9. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Well-Known Member

Its usually good, but Nov/Dec and white/black truffle themed month respectively , so the price is 3x the usual cost (i think its around $350 for Nov/Dec)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
  10. djblisk

Correct, good sushi that won't run me several hundred per person.

Which ones on Sawtelle?

11. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Well-Known Member

Sorry, I wasn't trying to be mysterious. I just tend to remember the places more my location than name. But I've had good meals at Hide.
    I like Bar Hayama, but I'd say the sushi is in the pretty good but nothing special category. It's more that I'm a fan of the overall vibe there, especially if you sit outside on the patio.

12. Roycru

Roycru Well-Known Member

Went to Sweet Hollywood today and got a "Beverly Hills" candy bar (dark/white chocolate with vanilla cream, granola, coconuts, and almonds), one of a series of candy bars named after cities in California. Took a bite out of it to try it, and then quickly ate the whole thing. It was very good.

Here's the last known picture of my "Beverly Hills" bar, taken moments before I ate it. Behind me is a portrait of Elvira, Mistress Of The Dark, made out of Halloween candy. It's in the Elvira boutique at Sweet Hollywood and is $2000.00. My candy bar was only $7.99.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  13. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Well-Known Member

In between very affordable and super expensive, I really like Kiriko.

1 person likes this.
  14. djblisk

Not a fan of Hide, I find it a bit dirty/

Will try Bar Hyama and Kiriko.

15. stevent

stevent Well-Known Member

Yeah I usually have lunch since my gf doesn't like most of the food served during dinner. Last lunch meal was $300 for 2 for fish which seemed quite a bit more than the normal range. I had it today for lunch and it came out to $210 which was better. Should go to Mori again as it's been a long time since I went.

Flights to Japan dropped to $450 range in January, very tempted to take a weekend trip or two just to eat and order shoes.

Shunji does have 7 or 10 piece plates for $30 or $50 I think? Pretty standard fare but still quality fish. Most of places on sawtelle still end up to be $100ish for two and I don't find myself satisfied after. I haven't eaten at any of those places since 2013 so it may be different now though.

16. Roycru

Roycru Well-Known Member

There are three Sushi Stop locations on Sawtelle. Most of the sushi is $2.75 and looks like this.......

[​IMG]

.......and here's more about sushi, at Sushi Stop and elsewhere.

17. Roycru

Roycru Well-Known Member

3 people like this.
  18. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Well-Known Member

Kiriko is probably the best on that strip. Of course there's Sugarfish right up the street in Brentwood… went there tonight.
    We've always called this the "cheap sushi" place … but bang-for-the-buck? Yeah I could name a dozen places with the same food and at least twice the price. Unfortunately the one on the corner of SaMo and Sawtelle was closed for renovations last week… and they never did get that Asahi on draught working. Down the block (west on SaMo) on Colby is En Sushi that has a great happy hour. Rolls are $4-$7-ish, $2.50 Asahi drafts and $1 sake carafes … can't beat it.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
  19. Roycru

Roycru Well-Known Member

Went to a new restaurant, Taiwan Popcorn Chicken that just opened at 2224 Sawtelle (in the building where Marshall's is on the corner of Olympic and Sawtelle).

Had the Taiwan Popcorn Chicken appetizer, which was very good and a good value for $3.95.

Had the hot version. There is Sriracha sauce available for those who like it even hotter. Could have had it on a plate, but got it in a bag.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  20. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Well-Known Member

^ Nice. That is 鹹酥雞 (XianSuJi … salty crisp chicken, sort of). The Taiwanese are famous for little carts full of stuff that can be deep fried. Not particularly healthy but super delicious.

and good choice with the bag… it ALWAYS comes in a bag!

Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
    1 person likes this.