1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Official Los Angeles Shopping + Dining Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by driveslowk, Apr 2, 2010.

1. jet

jet Well-Known Member

Ice cream has become the new coffee, exactly what you describe with mediocre products, high pricing and hype not to mention more and more popping up capitalizing on the trend. I was appalled at the prices at salt and straw I think we paid like 11 dollars for two ice creams.

This is the persian bro in me but I will say this (and I forgot to mention) I love saffron and rose in westwood, the classic flavor has the texture by which all others are to be judged. I pick up the golo bol bol at the persian market and it is the heaviest, densest most decadent ice cream ever than you can actually fucking chew. It only has like four ingredients and has super high butter fat so the quart which is heavy as fuck and priced accordingly. It is the only ice cream that is worth it imho and it's relatively small batches. I've had the saffron and rose water at mashti malone and it's some bullshit, doesn't compare to the stuff I buy.

Last edited: May 25, 2016
    2 people like this.
  2. ShootThePier

ShootThePier Well-Known Member

Competition and creativity are always good for the consumer. Growing up in SoCal there were few places to get a cone. Thrifty's, 31 Flavors, and Foster's Freeze were the regular. For a little more we could go to Swenson's or Carvel. Top of the line was Farrel's.
    I like the new flavors, but miss the simplicity of a chocolate on a sugar cone.

3. CityHunter

CityHunter Well-Known Member

I remember Neveux Artisan was decent, but forgettable. I missed it - did anyone mention Carmela? All this 'boutique' ice cream and I don't recall seeing this. Also, any word on ICDC (ice cream donuts coffee on Beverly...not the 'college')?

Also, high-five to a fellow Bruin...but I have to note that as bad as Diddy Reese is, as a poor student, that $1 ice cream sandwich was heaven, paired perfectly with a burrito from Buck Fiddy and a Natty Ice at an apartment party on Landfair

Last edited: May 26, 2016
  4. momentoftruth

momentoftruth Well-Known Member

I had a cucumber and mint sorbet at Carmela that was really great. Tried to replicate it at home but I can't get the texture right

5. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Well-Known Member

Diddy riese! You get your money's worth.

1 person likes this.
  6. justridiculous

justridiculous Well-Known Member

The wife and I had dinner at Gale's in Pasadena (http://www.galesrestaurant.com/) last weekend. The meal was great, and the service was fantastic. The Fettuccini Carbonara was wonderful; perfectly creamy, with just the right amount of pancetta. The Orrechette Vendure was very interesting; strong, earthy flavors, but well balanced. We'll definitely come back.

7. venividivicibj

Shooting at UCLA. Get out of the area. South campus locked down.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
  8. djblisk

djblisk Well-Known Member

I work on Westwood and Wilshire. Its a mad house.

9. venividivicibj

10. jet

jet Well-Known Member

Crazy shit.

11. venividivicibj

Professor was the one who was killed.

Engineering.

12. Roycru

Roycru Well-Known Member

Thursday evening I had a gluten-free organic vegan pear apple pecan muffin at the Atmosphere Cafe on Venice Blvd in Mar Vista. It was a very good muffin.

[​IMG]

As shown on the label in the case, the muffin was from the Ridiculous Baking Company, which sells its muffins at several locations in Southern California.

[​IMG]

13. itsjustadrian

itsjustadrian Well-Known Member

anyone here try Shojin in Culver City or DTLA? sister is a graduating vegan and she loved sushi before turning to the dark side. thinking whether if this is worth it or if i'll just treat her to Gracias Madre/Crossroads for brunch.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2016
  14. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Well-Known Member

Went to B.S. Taqueria last night. I guess it lived up to its name because we paid a lot of money for a relatively small amount of food that was merely adequately delicious. Service was good, though.

We ended up there because Salazar quoted us an hour and forty-five minute wait time. Next time we're going to be overcharged for Mexican food, I want it to be at Salazar because the outdoor seating is damn pleasant.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
  15. wqvong

wqvong Well-Known Member

What's a good place to take a girl on a first date on Sunday noon time around echo park?

16. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Well-Known Member

Echo Park itself for the paddle boats.
    Mohawk Bend for Brunch.
    Depending on your definition of "around", Hollywood farmers market or all sorts of stuff downtown.

17. brooks23

brooks23 Well-Known Member

Winsome is a pretty cool new coffee spot in Echo Park.

1 person likes this.
  18. Baron

Baron Well-Known Member

I like Winsome too, that's the perfect spot at noon in Echo Park.

19. djblisk

djblisk Well-Known Member

Cassia or Aburiya Raku?

20. jlchau

jlchau Well-Known Member

Been to Cassia before and it was really good, but I think their prices for some of the items went up (pot au feu was in the 30 range when we went). It's quite expensive, even for lunch. Kaya toast and the coffee pudding were excellent. I also remember the the laksa noodles and the pot au feu being good.