1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Official Los Angeles Shopping + Dining Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by driveslowk, Apr 2, 2010.

1. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Well-Known Member

That's it - thanks.
    Oh, and I obviously misspoke when I said it had closed. I was (mis)remembering that Evan Funke left his post as chef there this past May.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
  2. lawyerdad

Thanks for giving us the heads-up. I'll be out of town - but break a leg.

To Eric's question - my limited experience with DineLA has been solidly negative. I avoid it.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
  3. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Well-Known Member

Had actuslly never been to Jitlada before. What a bizarre experience. I knew it was a dive, but what a dump inside--not just worn down but pretty close to straight-up gross. And then you look at the menu and see lots of $25-$50 dishes and think, "WTF?" The first dish I tried (mussels in broth with green sauce) was so good it had me almost convinced that the dumpiness didn't matter and that I should return to order some $40 fish or something. Then everything else was kind of meh.

Meh.

4. CityHunter

CityHunter Well-Known Member

Damn, should have noticed this before. I would have been down to support! Great to see a fellow SF-er in the improv/comedy scene (I do improv).

Refreshing - in my experience, people in comedy don't really care about what they wear (men, at least). At least in LA. This may apply to NYC as well.

5. YoungAmerican

YoungAmerican Well-Known Member

There are a few exceptions - I know some comedy guys who are into dressing. Rob Corddry and Jason Mantzoukas did cameos in our last season of Put This On. Both do pretty well for themselves. Moshe Kasher's really well dressed. Paul Feig. Paul F. Tompkins. Dave Holmes. Though I guess that's like seven out of a thousand.

6. JL77

JL77 Well-Known Member

We have a growing customer base of comedians that come and shop at SELA pretty consistently. It's been interesting to watch it spread through their scene.

1 person likes this.
  7. Roycru

Roycru Well-Known Member

We like going to Petrossian at 321 North Robertson (a block north of Beverly Blvd) for lunch. I usually have the Chicken Salad and my friend has one of the caviar things. The Chicken Salad looks like this.......

[​IMG]

We usually share a Vanilla Panna Cotta with Expresso Caviar for dessert (or we walk a few blocks south to Georgetown Cupcake and share a vanilla cupcake).

[​IMG]

Petrossian has all sorts of special caviar tasting events in the evenings and now has a Pate menu again. However, we never go to Petrossian, or any other restaurant that participates in DineLA, during the two weeks of DineLA, which is why we went to Mauro's at Fred Segal this week. (Mauro's was rather noisy but we had fun looking around in Fred Segal.)

Before and after lunch, we walk around on Robertson and look at things in the stores. The Los Angeles branch of Suit Supply is opening a block north of Petrossian later this year, however, the Barker Black store across the street closed a while back, and the Ralph Lauren store a few blocks south recently closed. (The fixtures were being moved out when we walked by.)

http://www.petrossian.com/restaurant-west-hollywood-restaurant-and-boutique-7.html

2 people like this.
  8. Spencer

Spencer Well-Known Member

Went to Gracias Madre for the first time last night. Drinks were excellent, very unique, food was good, wasn't expecting much, I mean as far as Vegan Mexican goes I guess it can't be beat. Real pretty restaurant and great patio.

Holy smoke shows batman! That place was seriously flooded with smoking hot instagram/fashion blogger type of chicks. That and the drinks made the night worth it.

1 person likes this.
  9. lawyerdad

Maybe the image I'm getting isn't the one you mean to convey, but I'd take that as an indicator that it'll prove an obnoxious place to drink. LA has no shortage of beautiful women. Different strokes and all that, but my own tastes run more to those who don't make you immediately think, "wow, she must be an instagrammer or fashion blogger!""
    :cheers:

1 person likes this.
  10. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Well-Known Member

Agreed… but theeeeeen, when they start talkING like thiiiiiiiissss, and sayING everyTHING as if it's a quessssTION for no apparent reeeeeaSON except for the fact that mayyyyyyyBE they've been partiALLY lobotoMIZZZZZZED… anyway, fucking idiots the lot of 'em.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
    2 people like this.
  11. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Well-Known Member

Sounds fine to me. Youre not aiming to wife them...

12. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Well-Known Member

If I had a second dick to stuff in their mouths then yes perhaps I could make it work. As it stands, I can put up listening to chicks like this for all of 2 minutes and then I'm out. I'm not even exaggerating. It gives me a headache, much like cigarette smoke.

13. wj4

wj4 Well-Known Member

What place is this? I may have missed it. Always down to add another place to add to the list for the rachetness.

14. lawyerdad

Gracias Madre.

15. wj4

wj4 Well-Known Member

Thanks, man. I see its on the west side too. Perfect. Will check out this weekend :)

16. jet

jet Well-Known Member

Sounds like an insufferably good time.

17. justridiculous

justridiculous Well-Known Member

My wife and I will be moving to L.A. in a few months and we need to find a place to live. I'd really like to keep rent in the $1000-1500 range (the lower, the better). Any suggestions for good, clean, and safe neighborhoods?

18. jlchau

jlchau Well-Known Member

Where will you both be working? I'd advise living close to work as possible since the commute can be horrendous. Also, that price range is for a 1 bedroom? Don't think you'll find much for 2 bedrooms in that price range if you're in the city.

1 person likes this.
  19. justridiculous

justridiculous Well-Known Member

I'll be going to school in the Sun Valley/Burbank area. Yes, I think we'll be settling for a one bedroom. A two bedroom place would be nice, but I realize that may be a little unrealistic for my price range.

20. Faster

Faster Well-Known Member

Ufff, bad time to move to LA.... crazy rents. Likely valley, mid city, and a few pockets here and there. West side is out of the question.

1 person likes this.