1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Official Los Angeles Shopping + Dining Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by driveslowk, Apr 2, 2010.

1. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Well-Known Member

I don't laugh at the Sugarfish mention at all. I like SF, but usually go to the one in BH. I was ignoring that choice because I've already set aside a date to go with some friends a couple weeks from now so I was looking for something different, but not wanting to do Sushi Zo or Sasabune omakase at $100-150 per.

But has anyone been to Nagao? I've also heard good things about Kiriko on Sawtelle… in fact my Japanese stylist recommended it.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
  2. foodguy

foodguy Well-Known Member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement

it takes more than a taste for cheap sushi jet.
    lakers, baby, lakers.

3. jet

jet Well-Known Member

i am insulted

4. Baron

Baron Well-Known Member

He needs a Pulitzer at least, right?

1 person likes this.
  5. gunnerpunk

gunnerpunk Well-Known Member

hama has always been my go to sushi place, it's small and intimate and anyone i've brought there has always loved it and it's definitely more affordable than gen. as for sushi go 55...it's just ok, the fish wasn't very fresh when i went last month and i don't think i'll ever be going back to it. sushi gen is good, quality, but standard sushi and they take reservations over the phone.

6. SirGrotius

SirGrotius Well-Known Member

I haven't heard of Nagao, judging by the pics it looks very asian fusion-y to me. Kiriko's a high bar!

I'm a big fan of Mori, Shunji (wow!), Kiriko, and Urasawa (let that last one slip in, but once-a-year thing at most)...

I've done Sushi Zo a boatload of times, because the warm rice and sauce thing is fun and not found on the East Coast. Sugar fish was a step below Zo (or two steps) and Sasabune to me. I liked Sasabune, but we have one in NYC.

Anyway, I'm thinking about expanding my repertoire, if one has only a few lunches/dinners in LA a year, and prefers sushi, should I add:

Go's Mart
    Q Sushi

to the list, or stick to staples such as Mori and Shunji?

One other question - is Sushi Zo's new downtown location the place to go if I want warm rice, or should I stick to the Olympic ave, IIRC.

Thanks!!

7. Kid Nickels

Thanks SirG! Well we went out on a limb and went to Nagao anyway… and although it's certainly not traditional by any means, it's not fusion-y in a deep fry everything, add cream cheese and whack sauce kind of way. Mostly just unique combinations of ingredients such as the Moonlight #2 roll… salmon, crab, carrot, sprouts, asparagus wrapped in cucumber, no rice. And we had monkfish liver sashimi which I am crazy about and do not see nearly often enough so that was a pleasant surprise. The owner Nagao was our chef at the bar and he was very friendly and personable… gave his waitresses the serious business when our check revealed a double charge on sake. He said the monkfish liver will be on him next time I visit so overall it was a win for me and my lady. :nodding:

1 person likes this.
  8. ExAngel

ExAngel Well-Known Member

I went to Go's Mart after reading all the overhyped praise on Chowhound, LA Times, etc.
    Aside from the fact that the place is uninspired as hell, the sushi in general was pretty terrible when I went and the service is laughable at best.. Maybe I went on a bad day, but I doubt i'd venture back out there.
    Mid range Sushi, Sugarfish is fun, but doesn't wow me. I like the presentation though.

I haven't been to many Michelin star sushi spots and while I love sushi, i'm no connoisseur, Asanebo has always wowed me. Sushi House in Culver City is always a fun spot to drink and pre party at as well.

But no joke, some of the best sushi I get is from Farm Boy

Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
  9. djblisk

djblisk Well-Known Member

I mean..... you said Go Mart was terrible than said you aren't a connoisseur then dropped Asanebo, which is mainly sashimi, and said Farm Boy is some of the best sushi? That is all over the place.

Try Sushi Gen - Moderately pricey, very busy, but good consistent shari and nari.

10. jet

jet Well-Known Member

i was very confused by that post

11. Kid Nickels

12. SirGrotius

SirGrotius Well-Known Member

The concern I have about Go's Mart is that they dress up the sushi a lot, does that indicate that they need to do so or they are making that effort to push the boundaries of art/taste?

I haven't been to Asanebo since it's outside of my general zone, however, looking at reviews it seems insanely good! I'm more on a sashimi kick anyway (too much rice threatens my SF waist size). ha

13. jet

jet Well-Known Member

i thought you already went to asanebo?

14. djblisk

djblisk Well-Known Member

Thats what I thought.

15. Kid Nickels

Man I have SO many places to try!

16. ExAngel

ExAngel Well-Known Member

What exactly about my post are you all confused about? I mention i'm not a connoisseur, so I don't know about all the new hot spots, but Asanebo is a place i've gone to since I was a kid so that's really where my palate begins. I mainly eat Sashimi, so I guess I should have clarified. Farm Boy is a korean mini mart, but I only mentioned them because their fish is super fresh and comes pretty close to what I've had at Asanebo and other high praised spots, so I think it's a pretty good spot to grab something on the go.

I Haven't been to Sushi Gen in years, but I remember it being very good.

17. steveyoo1983

steveyoo1983 Well-Known Member

I know San Diego is close yet far from LA ;)

Gentlemen's Footwear will be opening our showroom in downtown San Diego few weeks from now ;)
    If you would like to visit us in the meantime to try on Carmina Shoemaker, Herring Shoes, or chk out Drake's London, EG Cappelli Napoli accessories, feel free to email us
    info@gentlemensfootwear.com to schedule a showroom visit appointment before we open to public!

Our new address is

Gentlemens Footwear
    722 11th Ave
    San Diego CA 92101

Cheers!
    Steve

18. Spencer

Spencer Well-Known Member

Surprised to read this. Yes it is in a total shit hole, and the restaurant itself seriously looks like you're eating in the kitchen, but the quality of fish they serve there is amazing. Go back mid week for lunch and get the omakase, You'll enjoy it

19. Kid Nickels

^ So it's either terrible… or amazing?

20. Spencer

Spencer Well-Known Member

He has amazing quality fish, I was there yesterday, and it never disappoints. He gets very fresh and rare types of fish too. Best crab, tuna/toro, and wild salmon (when in season) I have ever had.

Prices are high, but you get what you pay for. You are not paying for the scuzzy West Valley strip mall location or the interior décor.