1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Official Los Angeles Shopping + Dining Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by driveslowk, Apr 2, 2010.

1. darkmatter7

darkmatter7 Well-Known Member

try South Willard?

2. JChance

JChance Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

anyone planning to go to this? If yes, please PM me, I need a proxy :D

3. gnu

gnu Well-Known Member

Thats what I was going to do, but I thought I might see it in person first.

4. Magic1

Magic1 Well-Known Member

Fred segal probably has gitman.

Willys shoe repair on la brea is exquisite. Does bespoke work aside from repairs...

Abbott kiney is developing quite a group of shops. One of which is like solely Kapital and vlas blom, I think it might be a subsidiary of hlorenzo, is a pretty cool shop..

5. gnu

gnu Well-Known Member

+1 rep for Willy's.
    The work on my vibergs was outstanding, and he even rushed to get them done before I left for a trip for no charge.

6. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Well-Known Member

Abbott Kinney also has The Stronghold and Scotch and Soda, for what it's worth. And good food. And I live in the neighborhood, if that gives you a sense of its coolness. :cool:

7. skitlets

skitlets Well-Known Member

Driving up to LA for a short afternoon trip. Where should I get some decent Thai food? And if I had to visit one area for a couple hours of shopping, where should I go? Been to South Willard and wouldn't mind visiting again.

8. stevent

stevent Well-Known Member

Lum ka naad but it's not close to valley at all. Maybe if you drive up the 5 home it'll be on the way

Been to about 5 places South Willard area nothing really stood out to me

9. Baron

Baron Well-Known Member

I don't think he's going to the Valley. Shop in Siverlake/Los Feliz (Mohawk, Confederacy, etc) and then go to Thai Town (Jitlada?). That's all pretty close together, an easy trip.

10. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Well-Known Member

+1 on Jitlada if he'll be in the area.

Krua Thai in North Hollywood is also excellent, but probably a bit out of the way.

11. A Y

A Y Well-Known Member

What's the wait like at Jitlada on a Saturday night?

I was at the new Chego location last weekend in Chinatown. It's much more accessible and easier to deal with than their previous location in Culver City.

12. Baron

Baron Well-Known Member

How is Chego? From the descriptions and reviews, it almost sounds kinda disgusting, or at least something that tastes good but that you immediately regret having eaten.

13. foodguy

foodguy Well-Known Member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement

it's kind of disgusting in the best possible way. think about what an asian stoner would want to eat at 3 in the morning. but choi really does have a knack of balancing flavors. somehow he throws everything into a ball and it all works.
    i DO NOT think iamatt would like it.

14. A Y

A Y Well-Known Member

Basically what FG says. I like it, but only maybe once in a while.

15. skitlets

skitlets Well-Known Member

Thanks for the recs. Ended up having to take care of some things near Little Tokyo so I got ramen at Shin Sen Gumi, which was pretty good. Checked out Confederacy and Mohawk. Confederacy is a little too Americana for me, but funny enough I have some glasses from Warby Parker coming, so I tried some on. Almost every single frame is too small and pinch my temples like crazy. Who are these frames made for? I have a tiny head and they don't fit me.

Mohawk is nice. There's a sweet Nonnative satin bomber that just came in. Someone should buy that.

16. A Y

A Y Well-Known Member

If you're looking for glasses, I like Eyetailor on Melrose, kind of near downtown. He has a good selection of independent (ie. not Luxxotica or LVMH brands) stuff from Mykita down to smaller Japanese makers.

Just looked back on this thread, and it looks like he's been recommended once before.

17. Baron

Baron Well-Known Member

I do like kooky stoner food but only in small doses. I'm reminded of something a buddy of mine invented at 3 in the morning after a long night out - a saltine cracker topped with a dollop of mayo, a bread & butter pickle, a smoked oyster (trader joe's) and a squirt of Sriracha on top. One bite of heaven. A whole bowl of that kind of thing is too much but I'lll have to try Chego at least once to see what it's all about.

18. gnu

gnu Well-Known Member

Bought my Roy's a size too small and I grew a size too big and now they're just too uncomfortable. Can denim doctors or another place move the button? If I could just get another 1/2 inch after all that stretching, they would be perfect.

Thanks.

19. jet

jet Well-Known Member

those guys work magic just call them, make sure it's the one on beverly

20. stevent

stevent Well-Known Member

Any good blogs on LA sushi? Been going mostly off yelp and it's helpless since this is pretty much every review:
    [​IMG]