• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Kiya chocolate thread (no bonbons)

kiya

Brand Representative
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
From the most sought after bean in the world, just broke up maybe the rarest bar i've ever had.
web-3.jpg

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
does it live up to the hype? better than the amadei offers?

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
So are Cluizel, Scharffenberger and Callebaut the Citizens of Humanity of chocolates?

cluizel is really good, scharffenberger is pretty good (for a now hershey company), i've never had callebaut.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by indesertum
does it live up to the hype? better than the amadei offers?

I had them side to side, and I feel like this version is more complex, but I'm a chocolate neophyte. Actually, in another tasting, I prefered the other single origin bars amedei made to their porcelana.

Re. $15 bars - that's actually pretty rare. You can get really good bars for under $10, which is why people gobbling up bars like Mast Brothers for $10 is a travesty.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by indesertum
cluizel is really good, scharffenberger is pretty good (for a now hershey company), i've never had callebaut.
I wasn't too impressed with the bulk Callebaut 65% that I picked up at WF. The El Rey was much much better.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Where did you learn all this? Is there some sort of chocolate forum?

Do you buy all your chocolate online? Is shipping, and potential melting, a problem?

I'm a total noob. What do you think of Dagobah, how does it rank?

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
Where did you learn all this? Is there some sort of chocolate forum? Do you buy all your chocolate online? Is shipping, and potential melting, a problem? I'm a total noob. What do you think of Dagobah, how does it rank?
Melting during shipment is a very big problem, especially if you're in a hot climate. You're not going to want to pay $40 for dry ice shipment just to try out $20 in chocolate bars. This is why I get my chocolate locally from Whole Foods and such. Dagobah's fair. They just started stocking a 73 and 80 so I'm trying those shortly. The Becoup berry flavor isn't half bad.

rachister

Reaction score
I wanted to make a few of the bittersweet chocolate recipes out of Simply French, which recommends Lindt. But Lindt changed their recipe and have received bad reviews since. What would you suggest instead?

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^most megamart places should have scharffenberger. if they have valrhona grab that.

Originally Posted by Kent Wang
Where did you learn all this? Is there some sort of chocolate forum?

Do you buy all your chocolate online? Is shipping, and potential melting, a problem?

I'm a total noob. What do you think of Dagobah, how does it rank?

seventypercent.com is a pretty good forum. they have good articles too.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
Melting during shipment is a very big problem, especially if you're in a hot climate. You're not going to want to pay $40 for dry ice shipment just to try out $20 in chocolate bars. This is why I get my chocolate locally from Whole Foods and such.

Dagobah's fair. They just started stocking a 73 and 80 so I'm trying those shortly. The Becoup berry flavor isn't half bad.

www.chocosphere.com, based out of Portland, has some good stock, and are very service oriented. Even the dry ice shipment is not outrageous, and the first time I ordered from them, they actually phoned, and recommended the ground transport since the weather was cool, and the hub that air shipments went through was hot.

$20 in bars is about 2 or 3 bars. That's like ordering socks. My lowest order has been for $50, and my highest, for about $150, which was about 12 bars of the good stuff. We have a local wine store which carries some really decent brands - Pacari is probably the best they have, which I think is really good, and there is a restaurant in Spokane, where I fly out of regularly for business, called the "Latah Bistro", which stocks, among other brands - Domori and Pralus, including the Chuao that Kiya showed. Even in a really small place, you can often find local place (not whole foods, but proprietor run places with heart) that carry a well bought assortment of good chocolate.

airportlobby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there a good shop in LA (preferably near either Silver Lake or Santa Barbera)? My girlfriend loves dark chocolate, but I doubt there is a spot selling the bars discussed in this thread in Austin - however, she's going to be in LA on Valentine's Day, so I could send her off with a gift certificate, so she could try some of this stuff (I know she likes Dolfin and Lindt, among others).

Edit - hmm, maybe I should snoop around more in town. There are some good coffee providers, etc.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Have you tried pairing with Belgian beers? I tried recently with Urthel Samaranth and thought that was some next level synergy.

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i wish i could appreciate chocolate's nuances. i'm like a divorced woman going through menopause when i'm around the **** and would just maul it until i'm eating my own fingers.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thread is relevant to my interests. Where do you suggest I go to learn more about the beans' terroir and **** like that? What's a good starting point for a n00b to craft chocolate (there has to be a better name).

Homme

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kiya
From the most sought after bean in the world, just broke up maybe the rarest bar i've ever had.

web-3.jpg

Walked to the Pralus boutique today; bought two of these bars and a "mini pyramid" sampler, contains squares with the beans from papouasie (png), Sao tome, Trinidad, Venezuela, tanzanie, Ghana, madagascar, colombie and equateur. Liked the balance between the bitterness and acidity, first time ive ever had chocolate with earthy notes that came through. Wish I discovered the shop earlier, only have one week to go in the city
teacha.gif

Haven't yet managed to find Amedei or Domori in a shop, might have to order them online.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads