1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Official Hair Thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by APK, Mar 16, 2011.

1. ChasingBobby

ChasingBobby Well-Known Member

Layrite Superhold pomade...feels like gel, applies like Pomade and washes out with a breeze!...
    I also tried Suavecito Pomade. Also a similiar product....give it a try!

2. mymil

mymil Well-Known Member

You had long hair when you were 0-3 years old?

I don't know about the itching, I (fortunately) never had that problem when I (unfortunately) had long hair. I don't know whether long hair is simply more noticeable when it falls out (or breaks) than shorter hairs, or whether it actually falls out (or breaks) more frequently, but what you're seeing is likely normal. Get separate shampoo and conditioner, at a minimum. The best time to brush your hair is when it has conditioner in it.

3. AndrewST

AndrewST Well-Known Member

I don't consider 20-23 to be mid-20s, so, no.

4. Sharpe

Sharpe Well-Known Member

How would I get my hair looking like this:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

From this:

[​IMG]

I find my hair to be quite dry, even using redken finish up conditioner. In the pic i'm using a little uppercut matte clay and a tiny bit of american crew pomade. I find even if I try hard to make my hair somewhat neat it comes out looking dry, a little crunchy, a little unkempt etc. I've tried different kinds of product (pomade, matt clay, texturising gum, lightweight pomade, fibre, gelwax etc) and it usually ends up looking similar with only slight differences.

I'd like my hair to look pretty much like Ewan's does - smooth, doesn't look overly producted, it's not wet but not dry it just looks healthy and nice... It tends to look better when it's been freshly cut but even then it looks similar to my above picture...argh.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
  5. OmniscientCause

OmniscientCause Well-Known Member

I just started using upper cut matte clay myself because i ran out of baxter and the store didnt have any...i wouldnt suggest it at all if you want your hair to look like his, he doesnt even look like he uses product.

6. Sharpe

Sharpe Well-Known Member

Have you got a pic of your hair now? I might pick up this Bronner stuff after work today and start using it instead of my head and shoulders shampoo + redken conditioner - would the redken conditioner be fine and the problem mostly be the shampoo? I think the Ewan Mcgregor hair above might well be mostly due to really healthy hair, whereas mine could do with a different regimen to make healthy.

7. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

The thing with most conditioners are they do contain sulfates, which is the major problem in shampoo, and also they contain silicones, which you can only remove with sulfates. FWIW, don't bother using bronners on your hair if you aren't also going to use the rinse. It won't work unless you do both.

Here is a pic from this summer:

[​IMG]

8. Sharpe

Sharpe Well-Known Member

Does it make your hair more curly?

Either way I got the soap and hair rinse. We will see how it goes. Do you dilute it per the Instructions on the bottle or just put the rinse directly on?

9. patrickBOOTH

Dilute. No, it doesn't make it more curly. I have naturally wavy hair.

10. Sharpe

Sharpe Well-Known Member

Do you make up a diluted solution in a separate bottle or just make it up in a cup each wash? How much do you apply per go?

11. patrickBOOTH

Three caps in a cup of water. Bronners recommends mixing it each time due to the preservatives in the concentrate that can dilute and render it not as effective if left diluted.

12. OmniscientCause

OmniscientCause Well-Known Member

I went full jimmy darmondy this week with my hair I can't decide if I like it or not yet.

1 person likes this.
  13. phreak

phreak Well-Known Member

Just FYI for anyone trying the Bronners tea tree soap and conditioner.

Based on recommendations from SF I tried the above method for almost 8 months (using PB's method described in the SW&D hair thread) with pretty horrible results because of dryness which led to excessive dandruff. I've always had problems with mild dandruff but it's been so much worse since using the Bronners products. Like a fucking avalanche every time I run my hand through my hair. The tea tree soap is far too harsh for my hair.

Be aware that just because this method is being hyped by a few who've had excellent results doesn't mean it will work for everyone

14. ChevelleSS

ChevelleSS New Member

x

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  15. wizzeak

wizzeak Well-Known Member

Personally I have to wash my hair every morning with shampoo to control dandruff for the day. Once I go to sleep it's back by the time I wake up. Even when I had a buzz cut and used head and shoulders/nizoral/selson blue my dandruff problem was still there when it grew back. Shame since some days you don't have time to shower or wait for your hair to dry but I have to do something about my dandruff. Also my hair looks much better just rinsing it with water.

16. tangledupinblue

tangledupinblue New Member

What hair products would be recommended to achieve a result like this?

[​IMG]

17. tangledupinblue

tangledupinblue New Member

And, does anyone know what hairstyle products are used to achieve an effect like Tom Cruise has got here.

18. patrickBOOTH

Hmm, as with most things in this world if you disagree with me, or have different results than mine it must mean that you're just an asshole, or retarded. Possibly both. :bigstar:

19. doushijiade

doushijiade New Member

There was a video in here on how to style hair and the stylist said not to wash your hair everyday too if it's not dirty.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
  20. isculpt

isculpt New Member

How to get Aaron Taylor Johnson's short hairstyle? Have no idea what it's called, any help appreciated.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]