1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The official EPL, Serie A, La Liga, Champions, Bundesliga world football threak!

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by nerazzurri, Feb 15, 2011.

1. Reynard369

Reynard369 Well-Known Member

Hey guys...found another angle of the studs up tackle with zero contact made and the team crowding the ref. Maybe I was wrong all this time about Barcelona...

oh wait... [​IMG]

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Apart from being entirely off-topic, the point people are trying to make is that Barcelona players dive/simulate/playact and surround the referee to try and influence his decisions with a far greater frequency than any other team.

Barcelona is a great team with lots of great players, and they stood a good chance of winning last night's encounter even had Real not gone to 10 men.

That being said, they disgraced themselves with their shameful antics last night. Regardless of what you say to defend them, in a lot of people's minds their will be an asterisk next to Barcelona's name if they win the CL, because they have cheated their way to victory.

2. the shah

the shah Well-Known Member

Apart from being entirely off-topic, the point people are trying to make is that Barcelona players dive/simulate/playact and surround the referee to try and influence his decisions with a far greater frequency than any other team.

Barcelona is a great team with lots of great players, and they stood a good chance of winning last night's encounter even had Real not gone to 10 men.

That being said, they disgraced themselves with their shameful antics last night. Regardless of what you say to defend them, in a lot of people's minds their will be an asterisk next to Barcelona's name if they win the CL, because they have cheated their way to victory.

So do you have an asterisk next to Jose's Inter in 2010 ? Or is that within the bounds of acceptable advantages ? As I said before, there is an intense amount of scrutiny on Barcelona's performances either because lack of familiarity, jealousy, or desire for revenge. I have not seen a single Barcelona supporter condone the diving, but I have seen few Madrid/others acknowledge the violence and negative tactics with which Jose and co. approached the game. The fact that Barcelona's goalie completed more passes than any Madrid player aside from Alonso (who had a stunning 2 more passes), coupled with the 39% possession, and Ronaldo's fury at his teammates not pressing the ball (shown in a youtube clip I posted earlier) highlight the intent of this Madrid side. If that wasn't enough, Ronaldo even acknowledged that the plan was for Kaka to enter 10-15 minutes before the end and then mount a quick attack, so it becomes clear the first 75-80 minutes were supposed to throw Barca off rhythm. Perhaps now, desperately in need of a goal and with two henchman missing, Jose will decide to play football during the return leg. And I have a feeling Madrid will do much better than they did in November (when they also attempted to attack Barcelona) given Benzema's newfound abilities, the addition of Adebayor, and Kaka's apparent return to health.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQ7p0...layer_embedded
    IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

3. Reynard369

So do you have an asterisk next to Jose's Inter in 2010 ? Or is that within the bounds of acceptable advantages ? As I said before, there is an intense amount of scrutiny on Barcelona's performances either because lack of familiarity, jealousy, or desire for revenge. I have not seen a single Barcelona supporter condone the diving, but I have seen few Madrid/others acknowledge the violence and negative tactics with which Jose and co. approached the game. The fact that Barcelona's goalie completed more passes than any Madrid player aside from Alonso (who had a stunning 2 more passes), coupled with the 39% possession, and Ronaldo's fury at his teammates not pressing the ball (shown in a youtube clip I posted earlier) highlight the intent of this Madrid side. If that wasn't enough, Ronaldo even acknowledged that the plan was for Kaka to enter 10-15 minutes before the end and then mount a quick attack, so it becomes clear the first 75-80 minutes were supposed to throw Barca off rhythm. Perhaps now, desperately in need of a goal and with two henchman missing, Jose will decide to play football during the return leg. And I have a feeling Madrid will do much better than they did in November (when they also attempted to attack Barcelona) given Benzema's newfound abilities, the addition of Adebayor, and Kaka's apparent return to health.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQ7p0...layer_embedded

Who cares how many passes were completed? How is that even remotely related to diving? Parking the bus, while not an entertaining tactic to watch, is perfectly legitimate within the rules of the game. The effectiveness of desirability of said tactic is irrelevant.

Cheating is not a legitimate tactic for winning within the rules of the game, hence the meaning of the word.

The fact that Barcelona play "pretty football" and Jose set out with 10 men behind the ball has no effect on the shameful actions of the Barcelona players.

4. the shah

Who cares how many passes were completed? How is that even remotely related to diving? Parking the bus, while not an entertaining tactic to watch, is perfectly legitimate within the rules of the game. The effectiveness of desirability of said tactic is irrelevant.

Cheating is not a legitimate tactic for winning within the rules of the game, hence the meaning of the word.

The fact that Barcelona play "pretty football" and Jose set out with 10 men behind the ball has no effect on the shameful actions of the Barcelona players.

True, but this ignores the fact that Barcelona were abused on a criminal level with the stomping and body checks that went unnoticed. If you're going to criticize, at least be objective in your assessment; it was a pathetic display by both sides and the only shining light was the brilliance of little Lio running past 6 defenders to score with his weaker foot.

5. TKDKid

TKDKid Well-Known Member

It would appear this Barcelona match against Madrid has created quite the uproar. I've noticed three things:

1. jealousy
    2. revenge
    3. unfamiliarity

They are jealous of success, success breeds these feelings of animosity.

They feel wronged at having been put to the sword by a Barça team in the past and thus want to exact some form of revenge by nitpicking any misstep the club or one of its players takes.

They don't watch Barça play except for massive Champions League or La Liga matches (ties into success/jealousy) and thus only get a small picture of what the club is really about. There is very little rational thought and mostly cherry-picking of evidence and willful dismissal of facts going on to promote some anti-Barça agenda; when this happens you can no longer reason with someone.

You missed out number 4: disappointment that the "best team ever", and favourites to win the Champions League this year, spent so much of last night's game diving and cheating. This isn't to say that Real Madrid weren't doing the same, just that Barcelona were supposed to be better than that. Or so we're told.

You are correct in saying that I only watch Barcalona play in the Champions League. However, while this may only be a small picture of what the club is about, it was certainly an ugly one.

6. the shah

This is Pedro's leg after Marcelo stomped on it [​IMG]

7. StephenHero

StephenHero Well-Known Member

Geez, I hope they don't have to amputate it.

8. Reynard369

[​IMG]

9. benecios

benecios Well-Known Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Brian SD

Brian SD Well-Known Member

Thread has been saved.

I'm glad I don't moderate this forum - otherwise it would be a bad idea to put someone on ignore. That said, my list is about to gain its first member and this thread is about to get much more tolerable.

11. embowafa

embowafa Well-Known Member

Haha. That WAS pretty funny.

You guys have a nice little hater circle jerk going on.

12. embowafa

embowafa Well-Known Member

Thread has been saved.

I'm glad I don't moderate this forum - otherwise it would be a bad idea to put someone on ignore. That said, my list is about to gain its first member and this thread is about to get much more tolerable.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I hope it's me. [​IMG]

13. Jared7

Jared7 Well-Known Member

Hahahaha

14. Jared7

Jared7 Well-Known Member

So now Madrid have also put in a complaint with the UEFA.

"Upon learning of the unprecedented decision by F. C. Barcelona to lodge a formal complaint against Real Madrid C. F. coach Jose Mourinho with the UEFA Control and Disciplinary Body, Real Madrid C. F. announces that it is obligated to follow suit concerning the repeated unsportsmanlike behavior of F. C. Barcelona, whose players consistently feigned aggressions with the sole purpose of misleading the referee of the match, which clearly led to the unfair decision to dismiss our player Pepe.

It is surprising that this chain of unsportsmanlike conduct and unfortunate decisiones finally culminates in the lodging of a complaint against our coach Jose Mourinho who, beyond opinions based on his right to freedom of speech, expressed his objection to victory at any price and the violation of the principles of loyalty, integrity and sportsmanship established in Art. 7 of the Preamble of the Statutes of UEFA and Art. 5 of its Disciplinary Regulations, by which Real Madrid C. F. expresses its full support of its coach. "

[​IMG]

15. Brian SD

Brian SD Well-Known Member

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns...-shame?cc=4716
    This whole article reflects my thoughts perfectly. Glad to see that journalists are coming out on the right side of this issue.

16. benecios

benecios Well-Known Member

The laughable thing about the complaint is that Mourinho's Porto were the biggest set of diving cheats that I have ever seen.

17. El Argentino

El Argentino Well-Known Member

Another decent article on espnsoccernet, by a non-madridista no less.

-

In Defense of Mourinho
    April 29, 2011
    By Wim Van Walle

It looks like Jose Mourinho will be sanctioned by the all-mighty UEFA for commenting on its representative in Wednesday's match at the Bernabeu, Wolfgang Stark, and a perceived pro-Barcelona conspiracy. Even worse, probably, is the fact that Mourinho had the audacity to be critical of the Catalan club. In this day and age, it no longer seems an acceptable course of action.

Let's have a look then at what exactly Mourinho is deemed guilty of.

First of all, he claims the referee's decision to send Pepe off changed the game in Barcelona's favour. Now take any game which, with all 22 players on the pitch, has 0-0 on the scoreboard with none of the teams likely to score any time soon, not even the team which is obviously playing the best football on the night. If the referee then decides to send a player off from either team, does that change the game in the other team's favour? Of course it does. More so when said player has so far nullified any threat from the opposition's - and the world's - best player, thus justifying his manager's tactics. Spot on there, then.

His claims that the red card was unjust are also far from incorrect. Both Pepe and Dani Alves go for a loose ball. They both go in hard, with their foot raised. Evidence now suggests there was no contact but, on first viewing, it would be difficult to criticise the decision to award a foul against Pepe. However, the referee certainly didn't look like he was going for a red card before Alves turned on the method acting (with one flaw: would you roll about if your leg was really hurt?), the stretcher came out and he was surrounded by the rest of Barcelona's squad. Watching from the sideline, Alves had to be stopped from jumping straight off said stretcher once he got what he wanted. Also, shortly before, Javier Mascherano was late with a challenge and kicked Pepe full in the shin with the ball nowhere near. Surely that should also have been a red?

Mourinho also says that Barcelona's win in 2009 was tainted because of that game at Stamford Bridge. Now I think the vast majority would agree that Chelsea were robbed in that game by a referee who made a number of incredible mistakes. The home team were better than Barcelona on the night but had four penalty claims turned down, two of them clearly valid or, as is now the appropriate expression, stonewall. Anyone with a decent pair of eyes, unclouded by the current atmosphere of Barcelona deification, can see that the 2009 final should have been Chelsea v Manchester United. Again, it is hard to see what is wrong with that statement.

It isn't even a dig at Pep Guardiola, as many seem to have interpreted it. Mourinho begins by stressing that he thinks of the Barcelona boss as "a fantastic coach". He merely points out that he would be ashamed to have won the Champions League in such a fashion. That is, of course, rubbish. Manchester United will surely have a thing or two to say about a game against Porto, then managed by Mourinho, in 2004. But it is not in any way an insult towards Guardiola. I am certain that Mourinho has a lot of respect for his nemesis, just as he had for Sir Alex Ferguson and Arsene Wenger. He has a knack of winding people up, but again I cannot see the problem here. For Barcelona to ask for charges against Mourinho smacks of a lack of grace in victory.

Where Mourinho does of course go wrong is when he draws Unicef and UEFA into the whole debate and goes off on a conspiracy tangent. It is merely a rant by a manager who feels he has just been robbed of a result, a result he could well have got. By negative tactics, granted, but football is about results.

Let us not forget that, a mere week before, Real won the Copa del Rey, beating Barcelona using exactly the same tactics they were now unable to fully deploy. It would take a very big person not to be frustrated and angry straight after that game. Mourinho was unable to be magnanimous in this case, but maybe UEFA should try for once to look at this with some perspective. Again, though, UEFA does not respond well to criticism.

All this seems to be papered over by a large proportion of press and public, who merely point out the fact that "the best team won". But first of all, apart from having their usual massive percentage of possession, Barcelona weren't very good at all before Pepe was sent off. And secondly, if the best team should always win, shouldn't we just abolish all competitions and give all the cups to Barcelona from now on? They may be the best squad in the world, but surely that shouldn't imply another squad should be forbidden to try to stop them.

-

18. Dashaansafin

Dashaansafin Well-Known Member

Fuck Barcelona. Bunch of diving cheaters. And I thought Ronaldo was bad...

19. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Well-Known Member

Chelsea/Spurs

Lampard's un-goal. I do NOT blame the linesman at all. I don't blame his positioning. He was where he should have been, in line with the last defender, when the long range effort was gaffed. As soon as it was shot, he began to sprint toward the goal, which was when he "saw" it cross the line. Also in is defense, from his position when Gomez grabbed it, he would have seen the entire goal line exposed, as the part of the ball that was still over the goal line, was in the air. From his angle he saw GREEN GRASS between the ball and goal line, hence his calling of a goal.

Just another example of how FIFA can get itself out of the dark ages and institute goal line technology, though they will have a victory in the fact that once again, everyone in England will be talking about it.

20. the shah

Madrid lost today and Carvalho got a red card. Someone in Barcelona is surely responsible for diving and getting him sent off ? Chelsea players surrounded the ref demanding their imaginary first goal be acknowledged and Kalou's offside winner sealed the deal. Barcelona were about to go up 2-1 when Milito's header was wrongly called offside and Barcelona eventually lost 1-2 (although the starting lineup included only 3 regulars and several kids, and Pinto's brainless pass led to Mascerano's PK concession). Clearly Barcelona get all calls in their favor.