1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Official Common Projects Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by InHocSignio, Jul 20, 2013.

1. 1up

1up Well-Known Member

Anyone cleaned the suede on their CPs? Can I use Jason markk? And a suede brush.

2. sozesays

sozesays New Member

Hey:

I'm new to the thread. I recently copped a pair of Dark Grey Gummys. I wanted to know how anyone cleans/maintains them. I sprayed some of the Jason Markk repel on them and it left an annoying residue.

Also, since the base is rubberized leather, how do they age over time? Does anyone have any worn in pics of the Gummys?

3. ike_hiking_boots

ike_hiking_boots Well-Known Member

Yes, see page 83 of this forum.

I purchased a pair of Gummy last week but I decided to send them back after speaking to a friend who let's say works in the industry; he ahd this to say:

It wrinkles and eventually cracks. How long depends on the quality. Whenever you bond two materials together they're dependent on the gluing process. There is no cream for it like leather. Either way, they are bonded as opposed to fused, so the rubber will act like rubber and the leather like leather and eventually buckle around stress points.

I do not know what you could use to condition them, although I'm sure they could be cleaned with soap and water.

Please could you post up some pictures of yours once you've worn them for a couple of weeks?

4. sozesays

sozesays New Member

Thanks for the response.

I think I'm going to keep my pair, I got them for a steal at Nordstrom and if they ever mess up, they're pretty good about taking back dysfunctional merch. They wont get daily wear, but they will get worn. I'll post a pic after wear them.

I also stayed TTS. Sizing down was too close to the toe and very uncomfortable. Esp for leather sneakers which it takes time to break in. I have some greats royale before these. I recommend everyone trying a pair on before purchasing to see what you're comfortable with.

5. ike_hiking_boots

If you get them for a steal then I think it's worth taking a risk on them!

6. Jolek

Jolek Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the help. I pulled the trigger on the Combat boots at the Ssense sale. I ordered the same size as my Achilles and the fit is spot on. I'll probably not be wearing these in the snow / slush but I think they're very versatile.

I think I actually like th fit more on these than the Achilles.

Now to apply some waterproofing...

7. ChasingBobby

ChasingBobby Well-Known Member

Picked up my first pair of CM chelseas for $280 shipped from BF deals...love them!

I am 9.5-10 in AJ1, 10 in UB and a 9-9.5 in unpadded Flyknits and a size 41 fits like a glove! Good thing i didnt go for a 42 or else it be too loose.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 30, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  8. masshi

masshi Well-Known Member

anybody else not put any protectant of any kind on their chelseas?

9. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Well-Known Member

I never do. Leather dress shoes I'll put pine pitch on when I first get them, everything else I just leave as is. I can't stand "clean" shoes though.

1 person likes this.
  10. carloso

carloso Well-Known Member

agreed, i think chelseas and achilles look better when they're weathered and worn in

1 person likes this.
  11. ThisFlyGuy

ThisFlyGuy Well-Known Member

Looks great on you! do you have the link to where you got them?

12. 1up

1up Well-Known Member

+1

13. dotcomzzz

dotcomzzz Well-Known Member

I love kicking the shit out of my achilles, especially in crappy weather. Adds a certain dirtiness to the kicks. Too bad can't say the same for crepe sole chelseas. Completely useless in bad weather.

14. geektos

geektos Member

Just got Some CP Chelseas they are a little too big but wearable. Do you guys think they will eventually form better too my feet after some more wears?

1 person likes this.
  15. ike_hiking_boots

No. Send them back if they fit to big.

16. carloso

carloso Well-Known Member

^ agreed, if they fit lengthwise and were tight on on the width then maybe it would work

17. SerialComma

SerialComma Well-Known Member

I picked up a pair of gray gummys from 18 Montrose over the weekend. My experience with fit seems to run counter to others' on this thread. I've had three pairs of Achilles, one original white, one black mesh, and now these, size 45 in all. The original white were so tight in the width when I first got them that I couldn't see how I could possibly keep them, but they stretched out nicely and three years later are my go-to shoes. The black mesh were super comfortable right off the bat with no break-in time required. The gummys are a perfect fit for me, definitely not as tight as my whites were out of the box. They'll require some breaking in, but they feel pretty good after a day of wear. I'm pleased with them, especially because I had a bit of buyer's remorse after I read the reviews of fit and creasing and such on here (I can't speak to the creasing yet).

But really, my post is more about 18 Montrose. I'd never heard of them (from what I understand they're fairly new, and they're based in Glasgow), but my overall shopping experience was excellent. I made some changes to my original order, and Dave was very patient and helpful. They don't deduct VAT yet, but they did offer a 25% off code for Black Friday that brought the price down to GBP 216.75 (about $272) and orders over $200 ship free.

18. cmninja

cmninja Well-Known Member

Second day of wearing white CP lows, creasing is visible. The back of the shoe digs somewhat in the heel. The shoes make lots of noise while walking due to the lack of padding. Other than that, the shoes look great.

19. rossomatic

rossomatic Member

I posted this in the Baller Sneaker Thread, but posting here since they are CP's.

Achilles Low in Blush, size 42. I normally wear a 10 in Nike's. Normal width feet, these are snug on the sides but not in an uncomfortable way.

Not as "pink" as I originally thought, or as I saw in photos online. I prefer that the color is more understated, given how well it goes with outfits and wouldn't be a jarring sight to behold on your feet.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
  20. reallypeacedoff

reallypeacedoff Well-Known Member

All part of the process of wearing them in. [​IMG]