1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Official Common Projects Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by InHocSignio, Jul 20, 2013.

1. bry2000

bry2000 Well-Known Member

I have a pair and love them. Very comfortable, they have been my go-to casual sneaker for the last several months.

2. melihu

melihu New Member

Any photos by chance? I love my two pairs of achilles, and would like another pair of CP's, but I haven't been able to find great on feet photos.

3. Enigma1

Enigma1 Well-Known Member

I received this pair and hope you guys can shed some light if this is a defect or simply normal for common projects. If you look closely around the laces holes the leather seems that feels a bit more dry, grainy or so. Furthermore that little nick or raised spot. Will you recommend simply excepting a small discount and bringing it to a leather cleaner who may be able to "sand leather quote or however it's done, or would you simply advise waiting for a new shipment to arrive and returning these? Thanks [​IMG][/IMG]

4. wurlwyde

wurlwyde Well-Known Member

I think you're being overly particular. If you're planning on wearing them at all, I wouldn't worry about it. I can't really tell what you're talking about in the picture.

1 person likes this.
  5. Enigma1

I just never saw a mark like this on any other pair. Refer to this photo to see what I mean. The dryness/graininess around the lace holes are just different that other respective areas, and I haven't had a CP yet with that mark on the side, indicated by the arrow. Have you?
    [​IMG]

6. wurlwyde

wurlwyde Well-Known Member

I noticed the mark on th side but wasn't sure if that's what you're talking about. If it bothers you or is going to bother you, I'd just return them, especially if you paid anywhere near retail.

7. Enigma1

Have you seen markings like this on other pairs? If so and this may happen again I would just keep them.

8. tropics

tropics Well-Known Member

i don't think i have ever inspected a pair that closely. they will be covered in marks like that after a week so who cares?

the only pair i ever returned was a pair of white achilles that started peeling noticeably on the front toe after a couple of wears.

9. ASpec818

ASpec818 Well-Known Member

what kind of insoles are you guys throwing on top of your CP's for increased comfort? They're a little too long for me so I figure an insole would be a good idea.

10. masshi

masshi Well-Known Member

anybody here own a pair of the derby shines at all? care to share your thoughts/experiences?

they've been growing on me and i want to buy a pair, but can a "better" pair of derbies be had for a similar price from another brand(s)?

what's the lowest you guys have seen them go for by the way, and how did you size them relative to your achilles low size?

11. London

London Well-Known Member

I have a pair I need to move

12. ursman

ursman Well-Known Member

I don't know if I would throw a pair of insoles ON TOP of the insole of the CP. I would definitely replace, though.

I've had a really good experience with Superfeet insoles. I have a pair of the wool, high arch support (they are grey), and I was very happy with them. I don't use them in my CPs... but I can't imagine them being much different. I've also rather enjoyed New Balance's high arch support insoles as well.

If you are not familiar with insoles - I would recommend going with some Doctor Scholls. The main reason is that, typically, insoles can run a bit pricey (~$40 or ~$50). Doctor Scholl's are about $10-$15. Well worth it to give them a try... and really not too bad. They also can be cut to fit the shoe you are trying to put them into.

Just an FYI - the only thing BETTER than a New Balance or Superfeet, would be a custom insole. These can run $300-$800. I do not recommend unless you've got serious foot and back issues.

13. gunslikethese

gunslikethese Well-Known Member

I've got 2 pairs of derby shines, black and burgundy. I like them a lot. In my experience, they're more comfortable than your typical derby dress shoe because of the crepe sole, although the leather does crease quicker than my dress shoes.

I sized down one from Achilles. I wear 43 in Achilles and 42 in Derby shines.

1 person likes this.
  14. Maxwellll

Maxwellll Well-Known Member

I am completely unfamiliar with Common Projects, the general consensus is to size down from what you would wear in sneakers?

Just saw these Cadet Derby at End which I quite like
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  15. ike_hiking_boots

ike_hiking_boots Well-Known Member

they are the 'gummy' version - the leather is rubberised with a matte finish so it blends in with the sole

16. Roygbivuxg

Roygbivuxg Well-Known Member

Wait what?? I take a 42 in all achilles and had to size up to 43 on my derby shines :puzzled: They fit maybe a half size long but the 42 crushed my toes and I have a normal width foot. Mine are the navy ones from FW14 btw.

1 person likes this.
  17. ike_hiking_boots

ike_hiking_boots Well-Known Member

I recommend you go TTS, or order 2 pairs and return the pair that don't work for you.

18. gunslikethese

gunslikethese Well-Known Member

Both my pairs I got in the last year. The burgundy ones I got are size 43, and I still wear them, but they definitely fit bigger than I would like. I have to lace them up pretty tight otherwise they would be way too loose due to the length.

19. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Well-Known Member

I went same size on all my CP's, including Derbies.
    Black derby shine and burgundy derby shine, 44
    Geller zipper derby, 44
    Geller strap derby, 44

2 people like this.
  20. bry2000

bry2000 Well-Known Member

I found the derbies to run TTS. I bought a pair of the cadet derbies (the oxblood ones Maxwelll posted above) last year, but ended up returning them. they were fine and comfortable, but I thought there were better options for the price. I kind of like the all black ones better as a creeper option.

I bought a pair of Dries derbies on sale instead and find them to be better made.

1 person likes this.