1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Official Cars Discount / Thrift & DIY Questions and Bragging Thread.

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Thrift Vader, Sep 25, 2015.

1. fox15

fox15 Well-Known Member

I think it's a damned shame you don't live closer, I can only imagine the franken-cars that could be with a little creativity.

Personally, I think a 20b would be interesting in the little Porsche.

1 person likes this.
  2. Thrift Vader

Thrift Vader Well-Known Member

20B would be dope. 13B even. with a turbo. great cars, with poo engines.

Thanks, i wish i could play more. you guys are lucky in that you can.

3. Cj52racers

Cj52racers Well-Known Member

^ if you want a 944 with a better engine, look at the 928. The 1985 model is the sweet spot probably. Great gearbox. 300 horse v8. 3200 lbs.

4. Thrift Vader

fantastic cars. love the sound.

1 person likes this.
  5. horndog

horndog Well-Known Member

Rotary 944 would kick ass. I see a fair amount of LS swaps into them these days, and then there's that one mad scientist in Texas who swapped a 1GZ V12 from Toyota into one.

6. Thrift Vader

1GZ would be epic. really want to see a AE86 with one....

so, i got an update guys, the car is on the road now!!!!!! passed the checks. and i put the Blow of valve back on. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ordered some more clips and stuff to slowly get rid of all the zip ties around the place. and the rear bumper/wheel arches will be fixed hopefully in the next week. [​IMG]
    of course thrift price or free.

2 people like this.
  7. Thrift Vader

what did you find there? any good tools?

8. Cj52racers

Cj52racers Well-Known Member

Congrats TV!!!! :nodding:

9. Thrift Vader

Thanks Broseph! [​IMG]

More welding practice tomorrow, and i will have an expert eye watching over my shoulder as i paint the rear bumper.

Brushing up on the skills this month.

1 person likes this.
  10. Nobleprofessor

Nobleprofessor Well-Known Member

Ended up not being able to go. Had a deposition that went much longer than expected and then had to go out of town. bummed

11. Nobleprofessor

My plans have finally been solidified. I am going to the Raleigh Classic Car Auction in early december. I get there early enough that I can try a little thrifting before the pre-view starts. Then, auction is Friday and Saturday.

They have added more cars to the auction. I will NOT be buying any cars (I have two cars and a truck now). But, my brother says he might be a buyer.

If you are interested, here is the list of cars:

http://www.raleighclassic.com/searchclassic.html

1 person likes this.
  12. Thrift Vader

That Chevy Luv Truck......[​IMG]

13. horndog

Thrift, find me a C's short shifter for a MKIV Supra in Japan <3

14. Nobleprofessor

I knew you would like that one!

I still can't figure out why, but I really like the '76 Park Avenue. I think I like because it is the last year for biggest of the Big American Luxo-cruisers. The big RWD C body cars were all A LOT smaller in 1977. So, the 76 represents the last year of these cars. I love the hardtop look with no pillars between the front and rear windows (when they are rolled down). I know its sort of a ridiculous car, but it still is amazing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I did actually consider trying to make a run at the 91 Bronco. I love the old full size Broncos and the Full Size Chevy Blazer:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Of course, the Holy Grail of cars at this auction is the 1970 Chevelle LS6 (a REAL LS6 with the 455 and all the LS6 specific options). I'm excited to see it!

[​IMG]

15. Nobleprofessor

16. jcman311

jcman311 Well-Known Member

That 70 chevelle is actually a 454 not a 455. Not that anyones paying attention. If that's numbers matching its got to be worth millions.
    Edit: theyre asking $150k

Its also one of the last true muscle cars before smog regulations/ insurance killed them.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  17. Thrift Vader

I can dig around. has to be C's ?? what money are we talking. if you want an one from Yahoo Japan, i can handle it through my paypal.

@Nobleprofessor The big cars are nice. and some of those Buick's were delicious.... [​IMG]

That Chevelle will probably end up on Fast n loud. no doubt.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
  18. Thrift Vader

@Nobleprofessor any updates on the auction?

19. Thrift Vader

Let's try to keep this thread going, for the grass roots enthusiasts, who wanna maximize style, and speed, on a budget. from the $1k 240z guys to the $100k Muscle car guys.
    -Go fast, and look good doing it. [​IMG]

Here is an update on the STI "thrift or bust" Build:
    Now that the BOV is back on, and some vaccum leaks are sorted, it pulls through the gears really well, only making the right noises. (Budda,budda,buddaaaaaaaaaa...pshhhhhh!!!)
    Got my set of snow tires, Yokohama Iceguards,215/45/17 with 80% on them for $160.
    [​IMG]
    and had them put on a set of Legacy GTB 17inch Wheels i got absolutely free . fitting them tomorrow. [​IMG]

Sorry for being slow to update, I have started the rust repair work, while re-learning welding skills:
    [​IMG]

here it is at the start, for a welding lesson with a good friend in his workshop, we taped it off for dust. then took the wheel off to see how bad it was.
    [​IMG]

actually, it was pretty bad, and went through to the inner wheel well. i removed all the paint in a section to cut it out, and make a template.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ouch, nothing to do from here but fix it. i made up a shape in 0.6mm stainless. and set about putting it in..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

not too bad, for a first try. just some putty work, and paint at the same time as the new bumper yet to put on. (Free) might paint the wing/front bumper aswell if i can. makes sense to do it all while the paint can is open. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  20. horndog

Progress looks good. About to put some Yoko Iceguards on my FR-S for the season. What are your goals for doing this restore/build?

1 person likes this.