1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Official Carmina Sizing Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Maaasih

Maaasih Member

Sorry I am posting again, but I remeasured my foot and I am a US 10.5E per Brannock (not 10.5D as previously mentioned). Would a 9.5UK Simpson last fit me? If not, what size would I be in a Rain or Inca last?

Also, I know this doesn't belong in this thread, but how does the Simpson last compare to the Rain or Inca? I know the Simpson is narrower but as far as the looks of the shoe itself, do the Rain and Inca lasts look a lot wider?

2. sleepyinsanfran

sleepyinsanfran Well-Known Member

The brannock only meaures width and not girth. The simpson last has a low volume instep area. most people go half size down from their brannock for the Simpson last, and (comfortably) a full size down from brannock for rain... but the main difference (among others) between the lasts is that the rain is meant for someone with a high arch/instep area, and the simpson, teh opposite.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  3. enyn90

enyn90 Active Member

hi, i would like to have some help here:

I'm going to order a Rain last derby; I have a Meermin Hiro last oxford size 10UK, and i can squeeze in a finger behind the heel (some slipping), so should i size down to 9.5UK for Carmina Rain last?

Additionally, anyone have any experience with Loake 1880 sizing, should I size down for Aldywch to 9.5UK as well.

Thanks a dozen! [​IMG]

4. urban

urban Well-Known Member

Not sure if this helps.
    I have Rain shoes in UK9 and a pair of Meermin Hiro BOOTS in UK10.
    The Hiro fits me better. But i am not sure if it is because it is a pair of boots.

5. hiver

hiver Well-Known Member

Thats helpful, thanks. Do you wear the same size simpson in loafer and oxford? Also, is the second loafer a GMTO? (Since they only offer one simpson loafer now, I mean)

Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
  6. circumspice

circumspice Well-Known Member

Yes, same size. The loafers are the 10082, Armoury stocks them

7. Patent-Troll

Patent-Troll New Member

Good evening. I want to buy some Carminas shoes (Robert or Forest last if possible) but I am not sure about the size:

I have some Carminas shoes already:

7UK Oxfords in suede on the Rain last - a bit to wide and too high instep, a bit too short, but barely wearable due to being out of suede which is soft.
    8,5UK Oxfords in calf on the Simpson last, , too long, left foot heel slippage, vamp is too tight.

What last in which size I should go for ? I have a sleek heel, and narrow feet, but medium - medium high instep as it seems.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Regards,

Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
  8. Jmm722

Jmm722 Well-Known Member

Am I the only who needs to size down 1.5 from US for the Rain last? I wear a 9 in the Allen Edmonds 333 and 65 last (measured in store); but I tried on a pair of Rain last derby shoes in 8UK and I could fit my fingers behind my heel, even with the thickest dress socks I own on, and I could lift my heel out. Maybe the width and volume accounts for this, but I feel like it would only get bigger with the footbed settling and more wear.

9. TtownMD

TtownMD Well-Known Member

I am 9.5D US on AE park avenue & I size down to 8.5UK rain last & 8UK on detroit last on suede shoes.

10. Jmm722

Jmm722 Well-Known Member

going down 1 size left me with 1/2" of space or more. It was at the end of the day top, so my feet were already swollen to the size they'd be at the end of a work day. I have a pair of Rain boots in 8UK bit I can wear thicker socks with those that no one will see.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
  11. TtownMD

Well then I guess you have to do some trial & error by going down size & half or the rain last is not for you bud. You are the one who can make that decision.

12. M1TSGUR1

M1TSGUR1 Member

Hello everyone,

Could you help me out with sizing on the Rain last? I wear UK 8.5 in Meermin Hiro and Olfe and 42.5 in Vass U last.

Would you recommend UK 8 or 8.5 for Rain?

Much appreciated.

13. TtownMD

You would take 8.5uk on rain last

14. Ironist

Ironist Well-Known Member

wrong thread

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
  15. icecube

icecube Member

Need some advice on a Carmina order. I'm sized 8EEE on the Brannock. Wondering if I should order on the rain last or detroit last. Is it possible to order EEE on a GMTO? That would save on a 50%+ price

16. fairlynerdy

fairlynerdy Well-Known Member

It is possible to get EEE on a GMTO but it carries an additional fee, though less than 50% (varies by retailer). Except on GMTOs on Carmina's site, where it's free.

17. rc121

rc121 Well-Known Member

Just be advised that Carmina EEE width does not equal EEE in US sizing for AE or Alden. It would be more equivalent to E/EE.

18. icecube

icecube Member

Cool. Thanks for replying

19. urban

urban Well-Known Member

Is the carmina website wonky for you guys as well? I can only see shoes on the MTO page and no where else.

20. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Well-Known Member

For those of you with Simpson and/or Uetam loafers - and who also own loafers from EG/G&G/C&J/JL. Do you take the same size? Any thoughts would be appreciated.