1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Official Beer Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by DNW, Jul 20, 2007.

1. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

Stone x Marble x Odell Megawheat Double IPA at Rayback Collective in Boulder

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  2. Steven Cash

Steven Cash Well-Known Member

Opened a To Ol !!!PA CM last night. Had high hopes for this as To Ol are generally excellent, it was only just put up for sale so should have been fresh and at 13% it had potential.

Massive disappointment, over sweet, under-hopped and it tasted like they used brett (which has its place but IMO an Imperial IPA/American barley wine is not one of them). All in all it was a syrupy tripel-ish mess (glad I bought 7 [​IMG]) akin to Mikkeller's Big Worster which I also hated.

To redress the balance I opened a liquid confidence and things were good again, although that was sweeter than I remembered too.

On the plus side, I have a new entry in my top 10. Lost Abbey My Black Parade, a masterclass in flavour and balance.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  3. hc4thehc

hc4thehc Well-Known Member

Three year old Christmas Ale?.. On an April Saturday afternoon at 3.30pm?.. (It's really nice though!!!)

[​IMG]

4. Steven Cash

Phenomenal sour. This and Framboise de Amarosa are vying for top spot.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  5. hc4thehc

I've learned that the hard way: never buy more than two of a new beer... And never buy another 6, or 12, if you love a beer after only one try... Always try it twice...

After a bitter beer, it would be... But yeah: it's one of my favourites... One of those beers I try not to drink to often as I can't buy it often enough...

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  6. Steven Cash

Sound advice. Advice I gave myself years ago based on a very similar situation, yet the prospect of a fresh(ish) 13% triple IPA by To Ol was too much and I caved.

Annoyingly, I only ordered 1 barrel aged bible belt and I suspect I will wish I had ordered more. Such is life. First world problems and all that...

7. brp2

brp2 Well-Known Member

Haven't posted too much recently, but here are the highlights and lowlights of the past few weeks. Sorry, in advance, for the overly long post:

Picked up on a whim but was disappointed. At least the bottle art is nice.
    [​IMG]

Glad I still had one of these hanging around. I always forget how much I like this beer, but it seemed sweeter than I remembered.
    [​IMG]

Another brewery I really like. Hadn't had this one before, but enjoyed it.
    [​IMG]

A 2016 from Orval day. I should drink much more of this considering that it's relatively easy to get here and it's always good.
    [​IMG]

The Saison Facile didn't wow me; it was ok. The Petit Blanc was really nice.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

The Uinta was surprisingly well done; the Great Divide was underwhelming, which was surprising as I had high expectations for it.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Went out on a limb here. Hadn't had anything from these guys before and bought a case of different bottles. Have two of this one, but would've been fine with one. It was ok, but nothing special.
    [​IMG]

Enjoyable. From Vancouver, BC. Most of what I had there was on draught, and most wasn't anything to write home (or here) about.
    [​IMG]

My love for this brewery knows no bounds. Sadly, I'm also far away from it (especially as I just got into their mug club). This year's Animal Cookies is very nice, but I prefer the Sticky Hands (and this is just a normal Sticky Hands, not one of the one-offs).
    [​IMG][​IMG]

8. brp2

brp2 Well-Known Member

And then today:

I still stand by what I said above, but this didn't do much for me. A bit thin when cold; a bit too alcoholic when warmer. But thought it was a good mid-day drink with chores, as the coffee component is significant.
    [​IMG]

And some more restocking. I'll probably share a bunch of these around, but I've got to try the Fantome first. The last two times I've gotten cases the beer, while tasting normal, has been oddly thick -- almost egg white consistency. I'm really hoping that's not the case this time.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. brp2

brp2 Well-Known Member

Thank god -- not thick and just what I was hoping for. I've missed this beer:
    [​IMG]

This was very nice. Tart, Brett, some fruit, and you can definitely pick out some of the base beer. Going to stash the other bottle in the cellar 'cause it's good until 2022. Not sure if I get all of the hype but I may still try to seek out some more.
    [​IMG]

Ending the night with my lone Omnipollo. Enjoyable, with lots of roast / slightly burnt flavors. Not sure I really pick up the marshmallow. I do love the bottle, though.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. hc4thehc

Nice new lay-out. Hope they'll be migrating the pictures as well though...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. hc4thehc

Yesterday I started with a 2012 Aventinus Tap 6. Exquisite.

[​IMG]

Then a whiskey infused Cuvée van de Keizer 2015 - think I prefer the regular version...

[​IMG]

Went shopping, highlights: Rosé de Gambrinus, Tilquin (Geuze)², Ranke Vieille Provision, 3F Cuvée Gaston & Armand.

[​IMG]

brp2 likes this.
  12. brp2

brp2 Well-Known Member

13. hc4thehc

Ta.

Obligatory yearly evo test... Getting there... Sourness of the barrel shining through... Lovely...

[​IMG]

14. marvin100

marvin100 Well-Known Member

mikkeller dtla.jpg

Very, very good, and very, very fresh.

15. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Well-Known Member

Tried Firestone Walker Leo v. Ursus - Fortem over the weekend. It's an enjoyable double IPA (though not quite extraordinary), but I miss Double Jack.