1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Official Beer Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by DNW, Jul 20, 2007.

1. indesertum

indesertum Well-Known Member

I think @cocostella is from SD?

2. indesertum

A large red wine glass works just as fine. I used to do that until I was gifted a tulip glass. My favorite is the teku 2.0. If you ever visit some nice vreweries they will usually have some branded ones

1 person likes this.
  3. hc4thehc

hc4thehc Well-Known Member

At work... The trappist section...

[​IMG]

4. hc4thehc

Went to Geers. Incredibly stoked on ALL of these beers :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  5. cocostella

cocostella Well-Known Member

Hamilton's Tavern
    Monkey Paw
    Small Bar
    Starlite for casual dining w/ outside seating too.

At Hams right now for Super Bowl.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  6. brp2

brp2 Well-Known Member

@cocostella -- Thanks -- I'll pass those along.

A couple Super Bowl beers here:

I can't remember if I've had this beer before or not. Either way, I really liked it. Also a fan of the new label.
    [​IMG]

Sorry for the terrible Super Bowl party photo. It's Mob Craft's Don Durio's Filthy Mustachio, described as a lager with cashews and durian. If I'm being completely honest, had I not read the label or seen this recipe (https://www.mobcraftbeer.com/recipes/don-durios-filthy-mustachio) I would've just thought it was some normal lager. Maybe I had a weird bottle, maybe being sick for a while has destroyed my taste buds, I have no idea.
    [​IMG]

Again, sorry for the terrible party photo. It seems like I've had nothing but bad luck with New Glarus recently. Everything I've had from them on the fruit-side has seemed very sweet. This one was no exception, as it was too sweet for me without much interesting to balance it out.
    [​IMG]

And lastly this one from the Bruery. Definitely sour, didn't get much rye. While I thought it was nice, I didn't like it nearly as much as I expected to.
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  7. indesertum

That serendipity is pretty sweet but a pretty good introduction to fruit beers for noobs. When I give my friends cascade or drie fonteinen they're like gross it tastes like vinegar but they like the new glarus stuff

8. cocostella

cocostella Well-Known Member

No prob. Never apologize for party fotos! Just life... and beer. Societe makes very good beer, but their place, though ok the inside, is in a typical industrial complex and not worth the visit. Alpine is a bit of a drive outside SD, but has character , and of course great beer. Safest bet is Ballast Point, in Little Italy, which is mid-town SD and close to everything. Food's ok... Beer is top-notch, as you know. They don't have to worry about decent beer wherever they go here, for the most part. Even the f'n gas stations have Green Flash.

The ferry over to Coronado ends with a very short walk to Coronado Brewing Company and is definitely worth a visit too.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  9. brp2

brp2 Well-Known Member

Good point.

Thanks again. I'll pass these along too. Not sure if they're looking for a good place to sit down or for nice stuff to go (crossing my fingers for the latter, [​IMG]).

10. hc4thehc

Yesterday. Slightly oxidised, which is a shame, cause the first sips were extremely promising...

[​IMG]

Today. This is just extremely good...

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  11. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tip on using a wine glass. I'll give that a shot tonight!

I was going to wait until my wife or I go to the mall and just get some glasses from Crate & Barrel but maybe I'll stop by one of the breweries near me instead. I know they usually sell pint glasses but I never thought of checking for IPA glasses or a tulip.

12. hc4thehc

Had this after some very strong Carmenère wine... I'll have to re-visit...

[​IMG]

13. Ken P

Ken P Well-Known Member

Okay here's a bunch.

Had a crappy day last thursday and I figured the best way to turn it around would be to open a Cantillon. This was really strange but really delicious.
    [​IMG]

Buddy from work brought some Abner to share. I think I like double citra and galaxy more than Abner.
    [​IMG]

Had completely given up on finding either of these until a local store did an online flash sale for them. Got lucky and ended up with one of each.
    [​IMG]

Girlfriend wanted to drink a beer for the game on Sunday. Which required opening something that she would actually like. This was absolutely amazing and totally lives up to the hype. Thanks again Eli!
    [​IMG]

Followed that one up with this one. While this was really great, I think it's definitely overhyped. Not as much coffee flavor as I was expecting.
    [​IMG]

Snow day on monday had me craving a stout. Really can never go wrong with this one.
    [​IMG]

This great but nothing that special.
    [​IMG]

5 people like this.
  14. nahneun

nahneun Well-Known Member

Think i just jizzed mah pants

2 people like this.
  15. OmniscientCause

OmniscientCause Well-Known Member

yea really good beer weekend for you Ken...i thought i lucked out with Nugget Nectar and a Founders IS...did i mention the beer scene sucks in dc

Abner > double citra and galaxy

16. Tooch4321

Tooch4321 Well-Known Member

Decent selection, I always thought Iris doesn't get as much love as it should, it's pretty great. Fresh Fou is always solid, I prefer fruited lambics fresh as opposed to aged, aged always is way too acidic for me and literally hard to swallow. I have no thoughts on any of the BCS its all the same to me after all these years, Nordic was meh...

1 person likes this.
  17. Ken P

Ken P Well-Known Member

Haha, I have to try this years NN. Last years didn't really impress me but I'm also not sure if I had it fresh.

I mean I can't say it for sure because I didn't have them side by side but Abner wasn't as impressive to me as Double Citra and Galaxy were. That said, I also don't know how fresh this growler was or what temperature changes it went through.

Yeah Iris is like kind of bizarre but really good. Kind of reminded me of sour herbal tea. A lot more bitter than other Cantillons I've had but that wasn't a bad thing.

Fou was 2014 and I'm glad I drank it when I did. I think it was a very subtle beer and too much acidity would have overpowered it. When I had that Upland Strawberry "lambic" which was over a year old that's how I felt. Way too much acid and the strawberries took a backseat to that.

Nordic was great, but if you put it up against the other HF saisons it isn't amazing.

18. hc4thehc

1 person likes this.
  19. concealed

concealed Well-Known Member

30 self imposed alcohol hiatus for me..

1 person likes this.